Notre Dame Cathedral...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Cathedral...

I'm watching a live report about the fire at this amazing landmark in Paris. What a tragedy...
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

I just saw that also. I agree. It is such a beautiful old building that could never be replaced or even restored as a lot of the materials would probably not be available given the age of the building.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

The cathedral was begun in 1160 and largely completed by 1260, though it was modified frequently in the following centuries. In the 1790s, Notre-Dame suffered desecration during the French Revolution when much of its religious imagery was damaged or destroyed. Soon after the publication of Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1831, popular interest in the building revived. A major restoration project supervised by Eugène Viollet-le-Duc began in 1845 and continued for twenty-five years. Beginning in 1963, the facade of the Cathedral was cleaned of centuries of soot and grime, returning it to its original color. Another campaign of cleaning and restoration was carried out from 1991–2000.[9]

As the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Paris, Notre-Dame contains the cathedra of the Archbishop of Paris (Michel Aupetit). 12 million people visit Notre-Dame yearly, it thus being the most visited monument in Paris.[10

Comment

Would be impossible to restore a building that old, with so much history. Never mind all the art work inside the church that was burned and lost. A terrible loss.

Comment

Apparently work was being done on the cathedral so many of the historic statues had been removed. Some art work was also rescued but this is such a loss. I wonder if the renovations such as using a torch started the fire. If that is right, the contractors were very sloppy to not make sure something like this never happens. More info in the coming days but this is impossible to replace.

Comment

Of course it is impossible to replace or repair. Many American people who have never traveled to Europe and visited those old churches have no clue what was lost here.
            We are not talking a church that was build a couple hundred of years ago , these are places that were built thousand + years ago.
            The church that I had my confirmation in and my brother was married, was 800 years old. No, you cannot replace it.

Comment

Sabine... I think they will be able to restore most of it, looking at the film of the internal areas but I do believe that it will need to be a worldwide effort. I haven't been to France but I spend many happy hours exploring the world with Google map. I ended up staying awake most of the night. I was watching BBC news

Comment

Worldwide effort ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                  Worldwide effort ?
                  Sure. There are already some significant pledges towards restoration.

Comment

Yes, that's what I've been hearing as well
                    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Here’s one -

https://www.foxnews.com/world/salma-...reconstruction

Comment

I saw where someone has pledged 113 million dollars towards restoration.

Comment

That is the link I just posted above LTB.

Very generous!

Comment

Sorry, I never click on a link as my computer is old and does not always do what it should. Well, maybe I do not do what I should would be more honest.

Yes, I was impressed with the amount. I also wonder if they had anything on "loan" like museums so that could be brought back when the time would be right. I also have wondered if other historical churches, museums or the like would have pieces they would donate if it duplicated or was similar with what was lost or damaged beyond repair. If they have like pieces that would 2 or 3 they might part with one. I really don't know but sometimes people and places are amazing in how they step up and do beyond what you would think they would.

Comment

Yes, a very generous donation from Salma Hayeks husband and his father, considering the fact that they are billionaires many times over and took the money out of a family trust, i.e. tax deduction, but that is ok . I got that from a European newspaper article. They also mentioned that it will take decades to rebuild the church, won't be done in my life time that's for sure. Still no announcement about what / how it happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X