Taxes in the mail!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes in the mail!!

We usually get a refund. This year we owed money.

New tax laws hit a lot of people

Comment

I'm so grateful to be past having to worry about tax returns...
      I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Chayote - Are you saying that once you are past a certain age you don't have to pay Federal taxes anymore?/ I may move to Australia - lol. There is also states taxes but there are a few states that don't have state taxes - Virginia isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
          Chayote - Are you saying that once you are past a certain age you don't have to pay Federal taxes anymore?/ I may move to Australia - lol. There is also states taxes but there are a few states that don't have state taxes - Virginia isn't one of them.
          We both receive government pensions and no, we don't pay income tax on them. If we earn over a certain amount by working part time or receiving interest from investments, then we have to pay tax. We don't have enough money to earn more than $1,000 a year interest so we don't need to put a Tax Return in. We do pay tax on purchases of non-essential items. That is in the form of GST which is charged on some foods but not others. It's complicated but we've paid GST for so many years now that most people have a small understanding of the rules. Fresh foods are tax free... meat, vegetables, dairy foods. Say you wanted a cake. If you buy flour, eggs, sugar, milk and make it yourself it's tax free. If you buy a cake mix or a ready to eat cake, you pay 10% tax which is included in the advertised price. There are also a lot of taxes included in the price of petrol for our cars.

As pensioners we get a lot of things for free... hospital and medical, to some extent we get prescription medicines, reduced entry fees into most places, half price meals at most hotels and restaurants, people renting houses get financial assistance and we get financial assistance for utility bills, half price and sometimes free public transport, half price registration and insurance on our car. Oh... and we don't pay any bank fees. I'm sure there's a lot more that I've forgotten.

Comment

Did you say a house right beside you is for sale? I am packing as I type!!!!!
            Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

They took it off the market but I have a guest room...

Comment

That is fantastic!!!!! Now the jerk that is a pain will not have that house also. That probably made your day when that happened.

I so would love visiting you but for now it will be in spirit and not in person. But, we still have lovely visits that are so enjoyable.
                Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                He drew a circle that shut me out.
                But love and I had the wit to win,
                We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Vera... it's not necessarily over a certain age for paying income tax because pensions are available for aged residents over 65. I'm on a Carer's pension because I haven't reached that age yet. Some people are still working long past their 65th birthday so they continue to pay income tax. Some people are self-funded retirees so they don't get the benefits that John and I get. Everyone not working gets a Seniors card at 60. That gets discounts into entertainment, cheap or free transport and cut priced meals at hotels. There are a lot of things that this card is useful for... McDonalds gives a free coffee and you don't even need to buy anything. With pharmacy/prescription medications we pay $6.50 each for the first 60 and after that it's free. We usually get on the free list by May or June. Employed people pay $37 for prescriptions so I'm certainly not complaining about paying $6.50. Each prescription is good for a month of medicines.

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
                    That is fantastic!!!!! Now the jerk that is a pain will not have that house also. That probably made your day when that happened.

I so would love visiting you but for now it will be in spirit and not in person. But, we still have lovely visits that are so enjoyable.
                    I was very relieved when they decided to stay but there have been rumblings about the kids wanting to move closer to relatives in Queensland so it may go on the market again. If it does I will pray that Tiff and Tim are in a position to buy it.

Comment

We have no state income tax here in Texas, so come on down LOL. But you still have to pay federal income tax even when you are on SS and Medicare, and heaven forbid you have investment, you are taxed.

Comment

Working...
                      X