Gluten Free Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten Free Help

We are having some new friends over for apps and happy hour on Friday. One has to eat gluten free. Any T&T apps?

Corn chips with salsa or guacamole. DGD loves tamales. Chocolate covered strawberries.
    With celiac granddaughter, we find Mexican food the easiest.
    Any fruits or veggies. Cheese with gluten free crackers.

Comment

Chicken skewers but need to make sure there is no gluten in the sauce or seadoning. There is always salad or caprese salad.

Comment

I'd call them and talk to them about it. If they're very sensitive, even using pots and pans and cutting boards that aren't dedicated to GF-only use, can make them ill. I've had to politely decline food made for parties many times. If you're using chips, it helps if ALL the chips that might be dipped in something are all GF. When one person dips something into a food that's not GF, it ruins the dip for the GF eaters.

It can be daunting, but I've been doing it for so long, I'm used to it. Friends have been almost insulted when I tell them I can't eat something, but I have to protect my belly!!
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Thanks Smokey and Luvs. I donít mind making different menu items. I have a friend who is vegetarian and itís no bother to make meatless. Love all the tips too!

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            Thanks Smokey and Luvs. I donít mind making different menu items. I have a friend who is vegetarian and itís no bother to make meatless. Love all the tips too!
            But what I'm saying is that your using a wooden spoon (or bowl) or cutting board that's been used to chop up non-GF foods, it can make someone sick. Any utensil or pan with any kind of porousness likely harbors gluten. It can be that serious.
            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I understand that. I was planning on asking her about it.

Comment

Bean, it is often easier to make everything you are serving gluten free. Really not hard to do. Luvs is right about cross contamination. I use plates as cutting boards. DGD got sick once because even though the school was told about her condition, she was served a hot dog on a bun. The woman took the hot dog out but the gluten remained. She became really ill.
                There are lots of gluten free items and mixes in the stores. You just need to check. Even some ice cream has gluten.
                We went to A&W. Kids wanted root beer floats. Ice cream was gluten free. The root beer was not. She had a vanilla milkshake. A&W has a pamphlet listing the items with gluten.

Comment

If you use shredded cheese on anything - you MUST shred it yourself. NEVER pre=shredded as it has a coating to keep it from sticking and it is not gluten free. We have a friend who has Celiac and believe it or not - he buys gluten free deodorant and shampoo - who knew. It isn't just food items.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Iíll be sure to talk to her about it today.

OH that pre shredded cheese? Thatís just nasty all the way around! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                      OH that pre shredded cheese? That's just nasty all the way around! LOL
                      Shredded cheese often contains wood pulp that acts as an agent to prevent the pieces sticking together.

We had a gluten-free party for Andrew at the weekend. Very easy to do. We had crisps, a cheese platter, fruit platter and lots of gluten-free cakes which Andrew loves. I admit I wasn't a big fan of the cakes. They didn't seem to have much flavour in them but that might be just me.
                      I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

I agree Bean. That shredded cheese is just nasty. I had some in a salad at a friend's house and finally asked her what brand it was so I would never buy it myself as I thought she shredded it herself.. She showed me the bag, a good brand name, and I knew right then why I had always shredded my own. I know a lot of people use it and that is their choice but mine is not using it.
                        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                        He drew a circle that shut me out.
                        But love and I had the wit to win,
                        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Chayote , what are crisps ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                            Chayote , what are crisps ?
                            They are just thinly sliced potato fried in oil and salted. Easier to buy in a packet but some have gluten in the flavouring. They are easy to make.

https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...line-large.jpg
                            I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Interesting Chayote. We call those potato chips. I just love learning about the differences in our countries.
                              Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                              He drew a circle that shut me out.
                              But love and I had the wit to win,
                              We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Working...
                              X