Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 14th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

The rain continues and the high will be in the upper 50's and the low in the mid 40's.

I have pulled some ham from the freezer and making a big pot of potato and ham soup. The last time I made some it was the best I ever made so I will see if I can duplicate it along with a fruit salad.

What will you be eating tonight for your dinner?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I was going to cook some chicken wings on the BBQ but it caught fire last night and I can't use it until it's cleaned. I have a professional cleaner coming tomorrow. Instead I cooked the chicken wings, 3 at a time, in the air fryer and they turned out great. After that we had some watermelon.
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Beautiful morning, clear blue sky with a high of 71.

We love 40 clove garlic chicken and I found a new recipe you make in the crockpot, Iíll serve it over rice. I think Iíll make the Greek salad Iíve been wanting to for days!

Comment

livetobake: share your recipe for potato/ham soup? or is this something you just 'wing'?

still crappy cold weather. DS 2 & 3 are coming for dinner, I'm making a big lasagna with spinach and fresh mushrooms in it, garlic bread and caesar salad.
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Sorry Mudder but I just do not measure things when I cook. I will tell you what and how I do it and then as you are a good cook you can "Wing" it also.

I sautť onions, garlic, celery, salt and pepper, and carrots all diced for your preference. I use butter/olive oil, a touch more butter for that richer flavor. I peel or not potatoes that I dice about that big, bite size, This is where I think I vary from others but maybe not. I then add one of those 8 oz. "jugs" of milk and two cans of evaporated milk, when it starts boiling I stir, crack the lid so it does not boil over and gently simmer till the potatoes are tender. I stir a couple of times so there is no scorching of the milk. I then add the diced up ham and stir. I leave the heat on for about five minutes, turn off will lid on tight and let sit for about 15 minutes so all the flavor comes out of the ham but does not overcook it and does not get dry or stingy.

I buy spiral sliced hams from Aldi, the Appleton brand, when on sale for $.95 a pound and get 3 of them. The one I use right away, the other two I break them down and make packages for sandwiches, ham salad with the chunks, scalloped potatoes and ham, ham and eggs, ham and cheese quiche, whatever I want. I do not bake them before freezing as I think it leaves more flavor in the ham. I bought 3-10 pound ones so I have al lot of ham I put into the freezer at once. Probably about 15-17 pounds discounting the bones. There is never any large amounts of fat on them, the last 3 I don't think I cut off more then a pound all together and I have never been thirsty after eating them.

Now the soup. I use about 4-5 cloves of garlic, 4 stalks of celery, 2 large carrots, and one big onion. While that sautťs I do the potatoes up, 6 medium-large ones, depending on how much soup you want. Ham, as much as you want. I use the end of the spiral sliced as it is smaller slices and I like the thickness better. I just makes it easier dicing as I lay several on top of each other and dice away. Use salt and pepper as you think you need.

I always made my soup by boiling the potatoes in salted water, left the water and added the milk and some half and half. This last time my mind was in the ozone layer and for some reason I cooked the potatoes and vegetables in the milk. I will say it had so much more flavor, everything had a creamier texture and it was a rich bodied soup. I always use the evaporated milk for gravies, soups, quiches, anyplace I can. I do not always have milk but I always have the canned and using it undiluted it is creamy and richer tasting.

Ask me a question and I will write you a novel that will put you into dreamland!!

Hope it helps and sorry I do not have the recipe you probably wanted.

Comment

What in the world do the ozone layers have to do with making soup. There are some great easy recipes on the internet for potato soups, with measurements, and probably much easier to follow.
            Just saying....

Comment

oh for goodness sakes Sabine...we all have moments when have a bunch of stuff going on in our lives and kinda 'gap' out or whatever it is. I totally understand what livetobake means. yes, there are lots of recipes out there, but the best ones are ones that people make with a 'pinch of this, a pinch of that' I was just wondering about any little special things there may be. I do make a really good potato soup myself, and I do it all as I go, kinda differs a little every time.

Comment

LTB, I love it! Itís like reading a family cookbook and the added notes in the recipe.

Comment

you are right Bean! I love it too

Comment

It was a long and exhausting day today. I spent all day at the courthouse handling a sensitive legal matter and didnít get home until 5 pm. I got it handled, and I have a follow up court date on June 4. I was wiped out when I got home. I did manage to get some good reading done while waiting.

We had grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Comment

Thank you Ladies for the kind words.

So Mudder let's have your way of making your potato soup and the side notes even if your mind wanders into the next galaxy in the making! I would love knowing how you make yours as I am always open for new ideas. So much of what I do I have listened, watched and kept an open mind that allows for so much learning from others.

Thanks in advance Mudder.

Comment

I like the idea of using evaporated milk in your soup, I must try that.
                        I pretty much do same as you, livetobake. I saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic, altho I do not use as much garlic as yours...and I think I could, as it certainly would give more flavour. I cook my potatoes in chicken bouillon, celery leaves and a small bay leaf, I have added the onion/celery/carrots/garlic to the potato pot. When cooked thru I just add regular milk, a pinch of dried thyme, S&P to taste. I use an immersion blender, but do leave a fair amount of chunky vegs. My boy's like to generously sprinkle on old cheddar once soup is in the bowl

Comment

Speaking of evaporated milk. Have you ever tried using that in mashed potatoes instead of milk? My first MIL made hers that way. TDF!

Comment

Yes Bean, I do it all the time. When I make sausage gravy that is what I use also. I never dilute it tho I guess you can.

Thank you Mudder for sharing how you make your soup. DGS likes putting the cheese on/in his soup also. When I dice the celery the leaves get chopped right along and put into the put also. I think the leaves have so much flavor. I have my herb garden going so the I have added a mental note that I should put some thyme in it. I should have thought of that as I put it in so many things. Bay leaf, good idea and I will surely try that also. Great thoughts!!! Thank you!!!

Comment

Never thought about it for sausage gravy! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X