Leeks :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks :)

WOOHOO!!! hubby just came in with a bunch of wild leeks he dug up down a back road. And while we were talking about potato/ham soup etc. I will be making up a pot of potato leek soup on Friday for when DD and her BF come up
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

That sounds really good!

Comment

I love potato leek soup. Just made some last month.

Comment

I love walking in the forest to get them....the earthy oniony/garlic smell I love. Best to get them if you can before the black flies come out which will be anytime soon

Comment

Be grateful Mudder you are not closer or I would be knocking on your door!! Of course I would bring peanut butter pie and lemon cloud pie for sharing. I so love leeks and wild ones would be sooooo good in the soup. Enjoy!!
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

We enjoy oven baked leek slices on Saturday nights, better known in our house as "appetizer night". Slice leeks into 1/8 to 1/4 slices, (one large or two smaller leeks), separate the rings and rinse in a colander. Spread the rings on a dish towel to remove much of the moisture. Put a small amount of olive oil in a glass or ceramic baking pan, and put the leeks in the pan. Toss with the olive oil and some seasoning salt (and/or garlic salt--whatever you like) and bake at 275 degrees for at least a half hour. Stir every now and then, and bake until the leek "chips" turn a crispy brown. Delicious!

Comment

That sounds so good Home Buddy. Will try soon.

Comment

Is anyone here familiar with wild leeks? otherwise know as ramps? these are what we forage for. They come up in early spring. They are like a bigger green onion. Different and way better tasting than the big bunches of leeks you get in in the store.

Comment

No, I have just had some home grown ones and they were certainly better tasting then store bought. I don't know of any that grow wild around here. Maybe muz might.
                  Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                  He drew a circle that shut me out.
                  But love and I had the wit to win,
                  We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

now I want to grow leeks. We don't have the wild variety... they look good. These are the only leeks we have:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/thmb/P-5554_Zza506o0GzAx21TmjX5E=/450x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Leekstogrill-5ad2894d1d6404003959d53d.jpg

I remember buying them a lot last Winter but can't remember what it was that I made...
                    Last edited by Chayote; 05-19-2019, 03:05 AM.
                    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

I've never grown them or lived where I could harvest them in the wild. So I use store bought. And they look like the picture posted by Chayote. In the winter months I make soup often - leek, potato, green chile potato chowder, asparagus if that looks decent in the store, pepper, etc. Yum Yum. Now I'm hungry.

Comment

Never had them but I'd sure like to

Comment

Working...
                        X