Anybody have a vegetable garden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have a vegetable garden?

We had a large garden about 6 years ago. We had 220 potato plants if that will give anyone an idea how big it is...plus we grew green beans, romaine, cooking onions, carrots, green onions, kale, radishes. As of the last few years we've been too busy to maintain and let it grow over. Today hubby says, 'look, I've got the garden ready ' I'm like ??? I just can't do this anymore! I can hardly bend down and weed for any amount of time everyday to do this. I love to have a garden, but I want small scale, hubby says, no way, don't scale down. He used to go out in garden everyday in early morning and weed, and then I'd follow up every other day. As much as I'd love to have this garden full of goodness, it's too hard for me to maintain. So...., I just don't know. I can do half way, small size, or not that big. I don't want big. I love to reap the harvest, but....
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

I wanted to pots of romaine and carrots, onions. and now? boooo
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Oh, Mudder, I would love to have a garden. I do agree with you that your DH may be overdoing. DD did that a few years ago and it was too much to keep up with and a lot of veggies just rotted. So then they didn't do any garden and it is all overgrown. Will be really tough to clean out.
      Best thing we grew years ago was rutabaga. Took it off the plant and cooked it immediately. Wow! So much better than the old ones in the stores.

Comment

First follow muz, drink some rum or drink of choice, plant your plants in the pots and sit them in the ready plot DH has ready. No weeding, no large garden and I would just throw some flower seeds all over and watch them grow. A field of sun flowers would be amazing. Beautiful, easy and no weeding! You can harvest beautiful flowers for your enjoyment!
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

we have an elevated vegetable garden... 1m X 3m

The first year we planted lots of things... tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, peas and beans. We had some success, however the cost of the water was prohibitive. We haven't grown anything in it since. John used to joke about our beautiful tomatoes that only cost about $4 each... he wasn't far wrong. Our water bill for that quarter went up by $300!
          I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Why not rent the space out to a neighbor who wants a garden. You could make a deal where they pay a nominal amount to help pay the water bill and share a little of their veggies with you.

Comment

Plant in children's wading pools. Put drainage holes in the bottom of the pools. It will cost you for the planting soil, but you can control weeds and the size of your garden that way.

Comment

Another thing you can do is, since the garden plants don't need a lot of depth to grow, put empty plastic water bottles in the pool and cover with soil. That will save on how much soil you will need. When I plant in pots, I buy unsalted peanuts in bulk, and put them in the bottom of the pot and cover with soil. That saves on soil too.

Comment

We always had a small garden at the old house. Now where we live it is over run my squirrel, chipmunks, deers, I even saw a river otter wandering down the road the other day. One of the buggers was bold enough to come on my porch, dump over my strawberry pot and tear apart all my flower bulbs.

Comment

I feel guilty about not planting out our vegetable garden. I've checked what I can plant in May/June and the vegetables we would use are broad beans, peas, spinach and turnip. I won't plant too many because I want to keep some room for planting asparagus in August. We don't have a pest problem in our vegetable garden because it's 1m high with corrugated sides... a line of vaseline around the outside stops snails, slugs or earwigs climbing in.
                    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

My dad used to always have a garden. His was almost an acre and some years, probably more. He had the large Troy Built tiller and controlled the weeds that way. He planted that garden every year until he got too sick to do it anymore. It made me HATE gardens. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by toolgirl626 View Post
                        Another thing you can do is, since the garden plants don't need a lot of depth to grow, put empty plastic water bottles in the pool and cover with soil. That will save on how much soil you will need. When I plant in pots, I buy unsalted peanuts in bulk, and put them in the bottom of the pot and cover with soil. That saves on soil too.
                        I love that idea! Itís different gardening here compared to FL. So used to having it all done in February/March. Weíre expecting snow again so Iím glad I only have bought 6 pepper plants so far, they are inside, warm and safe.

Comment

Originally posted by toolgirl626 View Post
                          Plant in children's wading pools. Put drainage holes in the bottom of the pools. It will cost you for the planting soil, but you can control weeds and the size of your garden that way.
                          Love this!

Comment

I miss gardening. I'm beginning to learn from others how to garden in the desert. A neighbor said he would help me with installing an automatic drip system, which is almost a necessity here. So probably this Autumn I can begin that project. I will need raised beds (or tubs or ?) and will have garden mix brought in.

In the past, I loved having all types of vegetables and tried to keep it heirloom. It was fun experimenting with different seed varieties and tasting the results. I loved to pressure can and dehydrate for preservation. I still do some of this when I can buy produce at a reasonable price, but mostly make jam, freeze pablano peppers and other easy projects the past few years. Oh, and I pressure can meats! If there is a great price on chicken, beef or pork I will buy that and can it. It makes easy meals and the meat is so tender. I have leftover Thanksgiving turkey on the shelf currently.

Comment

Working...
                            X