Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 5th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is a sunny HHH morning here. The rain yesterday raised the humidity so high that when I went out so I could water my plants my glasses fogged up and my AC is only set at 75. The high today will be in the upper 80's and the low of 70.

I am solo again and as the cereal was super easy and quick I will have a repeat tonight. The fruit is what is hitting the mark.

What will you be eating tonight?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

We are either going out to the ox roast or going to a new cheese stake place in Eastlake. Tons of errands to run tomorrow so no cocktails tonight.

Comment

We had an interesting day, some good and some not so good but could have been worse. I had a doppler scan of my legs... never had one before and now I know what to expect if I need it again. It checks blood flow to the extremities. Medical science fascinates me. After that we had a lovely visit from Immy for a couple of hours. She's growing up like a little weed! It was a mild sunny day so she played outside on the slide, swing and cubby house. After that she came inside and played dominoes and playdoh with Granddad. We had thought of doing some science experiments but ran out of time. Hopefully she can come again one day soon.

Dinner tonight was different for each of us. Gordon had cooked some meat and vegetables in his slow cooker and brought in two hot meals. John had one of them but I wanted something with a lot of protein so I had tuna patties (fresh from freezer to air fryer).

After dinner Gordon came back in for coffee and bikkies as usual. Tonight we talked about our families from the olden days. John remembered that his grandmother's 14 children only had 2 pairs of shoes between them... whoever they fitted they could wear them until they fitted another of the children. His grandmother hand-stitched all of the children's clothes and his mother told him that she remembered only ever seeing her mother owning two dresses at a time... when one was worn out she cut up the dress to make shirts and pants for the boys or pinafores for the girls. She also hand-stitched blankets for the children and stuffed horse hair inside to give extra warmth. Up to ten of the children went to school at one time and got there on two old work horses that they had on the farm. After school they got back on the horses and rode home. They had porridge for breakfast and then their next meal was dinner at night, usually more porridge or soup. Things were tough back then but his grandmother lived on her own until she was 99 and lived in a nursing home until she was 103.
      I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Comment

Chayote,

I had a Doppler scan on my legs this last winter also. After the scan part she tested for a pulse in my legs and thankfully I had it in both legs so that meant no surgery or stint required. I could have cried when I heard I heard the pulse loud and clear. No blood clots just a serious infection in the one leg that took 4 antibiotics a day for 10 days. I gratefully swallowed each pill. They told me if it was serious, not pulse or blood flow they would not let me leave as the test was done as an outpatient at the hospital. When she said I could leave I knew that the problem was hopefully less serious and would be a easier fix. Thankfully it was. I am so grateful you are home and hope that is meaning a good outcome on the Doppler. It is being a long haul for you and I so wish I could help you. Good job on lots of protein. Tuna patties sound good and you are inspiring me for salmon patties tomorrow. I have 2 cans so will take a page from your book and make both cans and freeze one can's worth for future meals.

Bless Gordon. He is being a wonderful neighbor and friend as you are helping him with his grief process. That is such a win win for all you.

So happy hearing that Miss Immy is coming over and having fun. That is also a win win for all of you. She will have the fabulous memories that she is making at your home and of her childhood that she will carry all of her life. How wonderful for her and both of you.

When I crocheted my first large blanket I said that I know understand why they put so many children in one bed. They would have been parents by the time enough were knitted for each one. Plus the women worked beyond belief just doing gardens, washing, caring for large families, butchering, making clothes, baking and all the chores we do not even think about. I remember thrashers coming on my grandparents farm and how I helped my grandmother cook on a wood burning stove in such hot weather that was a full meal of meat, potatoes, garden vegetables, and pies. The kitchen table was carried outside by the men under a tree, butter, milk etc.were pulled up in the water bucket from the well and the endless trips of bring the dishes, chairs, food and pies outside. We would feed around a dozen men including my grandfather and uncles. Then back out into the fields while we put a large tub out on the table and washed the dishes there as the kitchen was so hot.

We milked the cows by hand back then after I brought them in from the pasture as everyone was still in the fields when it was evening milking time.

Wow Chayote, I have not thought of any of that in such a long time. Life was simpler in so many ways but a very hard work filled life as idle time was rare. Gardens were huge, canning was labor intensive and so dang hot on a wood stove not mentioning the planting, hoeing, harvesting and prepping for the canning.

But the important thing I remember was that we all worked together and they were few complaints because if you wanted food, clothes, and a place you could lay your head at night then you provided it yourself. Kids now days would stave, freeze or die from lack of knowledge on caring for themselves if thrust back into that life and time frame.

Ok, novel is done. Take good care of yourself my friend.

Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Another busy day today, pulling things out of the basement and photographing them and posting on Next Door. Iíve already gotten rid of almost everything I posted. One personís junk is another personís treasure! Weíre gathering up a bunch of stuff for electronic and hazardous waste disposal this weekend. Once the basement is done we can move on to the garage.

Weíre going to finish the BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes tonight and have watermelon on the side.

Comment

Charlene, I wish I had your energy. We are talking downsizing, but don't do much about it. I finally got all the old pool towels packed up to take to the animal shelter. Some books are gone, I gave those to my friend who lives in a retirement community and they have a library there, they are always looking for " new " books. And there is so much more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
              Wow Chayote, I have not thought of any of that in such a long time. Life was simpler in so many ways but a very hard work filled life as idle time was rare. Gardens were huge, canning was labor intensive and so dang hot on a wood stove not mentioning the planting, hoeing, harvesting and prepping for the canning.
              This is why it's so interesting talking to Gordon every night. There's such a lot that we are learning about him. John was remembering stories about his grandparents and events that occurred when he was a young child. There were six children in his family, two of whom have already passed. He recalled a lot of stories about when he spent time on his uncles farm.

We've been friends with Gordon for over 30 years but never on this level before. I promised his wife that I would take care of him but in the past few weeks he's been taking care of us. Even thought he's 82 he's a lot fitter than John and I.
              I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Comment

Working...
              X