Winter flowers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter flowers...

I'm so excited about a discovery in my garden today. Daphne plants here are notoriously difficult to grow which is why they are nicknamed, the Heartbreak plant. Difficult to get growing and difficult to keep alive. They happened to be my Mum's favourite flowers so I planted four about a year ago. One died and the other three struggled along. They have been bashed around by the wild weather we've been having so the foliage isn't in great shape but the flowers made me happy. I was pleased to see quite a few flowers across the three bushes so I'll be picking some on Monday and taking them to Mum's grave. They smell amazing.

https://i.imgur.com/0fW8CEQ.jpg
    I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Kind of looks like a peony.

Comment

That is exactly what I thought muz. Maybe related as peonies have a wonderful smell also.

That is beautiful Chayote, so glad you have some you can take for you Mum's grave.
      Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
      He drew a circle that shut me out.
      But love and I had the wit to win,
      We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

very pretty!
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

I'm excited that they flowered this year. No, daphnes are not related to peony roses... not even from the same continents. The flower heads are made up of smaller individual flowers that open from the outside first so as a cut flower it lasts for a long time as each of the flower buds open. The buds are the darker pink petals. My grandmother had a beautiful daphne plant that flowered beautifully every year until the day she died. Within a week after her passing the plant was dead.

I'm now doubtful that I'll be able to go to the cemetery on Monday but I'll try soon after. I'm off driving for a while so it depends how John is.
          I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Comment

Beautiful memories. I hope your ok so u can resume driving

Comment

Originally posted by mellon View Post
              Beautiful memories. I hope your ok so u can resume driving
              I drove to our local railway station to pick up my son and DIL today and then drove them back later in the evening. That's the first time I've been in the driver's seat for at least three months... *LOL* I didn't hit anything so I must have been ok.

I'm hoping to take some daphne to the cemetery tomorrow but I need to make some kind of wire dome to go over the flowers. The cemetery at night is full of rabbits that eat any fresh flowers they find and I don't want that fate to come to my daphne.

Comment

Glad you took the car for a ride safely LOL.

Comment

Working...
                X