Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 13th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is sunny out and another warm day. The high if the upper 80's and the low of 69.

I am making salads with lots of vegetable along with the leftover meatballs cut up and added in after I heat them.

What on your menu this Saturday?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

g'day, livetobake... you're having salads and I'm having soup. Obvious how different our weather is at the moment... Our Saturday was very cold again but occasional heavy rain. Heard about a football game that had to be cancelled when several inches of hail stones covered the football oval. We have the heating on and also wearing thick jumpers.

Dinner was the last of the shepherd's pie and I cooked some peas for John to have with his.

John has decided to call Gordon's nightly visits, "the coffee club". Whatever he wants to call it is fine with me... I just enjoy having someone else to talk to for an hour or so. I was a bit excluded from the conversation tonight. Gordon wants to build some shelves in his garage and John has some timber in our garage that will fit the bill. They will go out and look tomorrow in daylight. After that conversation finished they started talking about the cricket... a subject in which I have no interest. Regardless it was nice to see him.

Two more nights and I'll see Andrew...
    I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Comment

It was supposed to be a cooler day but last I checked 87. Perfect smoking weather, on a second batch of wings, another in the morning. My black pepper turkey burgers on the BGE later with my spicy spuds. Cant wait for flick time.

Comment

Weve been busy all day. I took a load of stuff to hazardous and electronic waste this morning, Ken has been working in the garage all day. Ive been packing the CD collection, books, etc, have another load ready for Salvation Army tomorrow. I just finished posting a bunch of garage items on Next Door app, within 10 minutes I started getting responses. Were tired, were dirty and the house looks like a tornado hit it. My sister has been upstairs cleaning all the cabinets and moving a lot of Moms furniture out.

Were staying in. I took a package of Sea Pak shrimp scampi out of the freezer and Im going to make some pasta and garlic bread to go with it. 10 minutes tops!

Comment

Mixed bag weather day here. I headed out early this morning to hit up our towns annual butter tart festival. bought 2 dozen raisin tarts
          I met up with an old girlfriend, we haven't seen each other for years, we usually bump into each other in a store and only have a few minutes to chat. It was nice to spend a bit of time catching up, she was on her way to a community yard sale further north of us, so she asked me to go along....we used to do that years ago.....we chatted on the drive up and back.
          When I got home I put 2 small chunks of peameal in the oven, basting with mape syrup/dijon and fresh rosemary. I will slice it up to go on buns and will make a coleslaw
          A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

OK, I have to ask, what is peameal ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              OK, I have to ask, what is peameal ?
              Sabine... it's a block of bacon that has been rolled in cornmeal. We both learned something new today

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...meal_bacon.jpg
              I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Comment

Thanks Chayote, so it is just bacon, I have never heard of that. Looks a little bit fatty ?

Comment

it's often called back bacon or Canadian bacon and isn't as fatty as regular bacon

Comment

That is my understanding also Genia. It is more like a pork loin with some fat on top that would render off when baking. It is leaner then bacon and you just slice off slices after it bakes. It is also more moist then bacon. I would love trying some.

Comment

Originally posted by Genia View Post
                      it's often called back bacon or Canadian bacon and isn't as fatty as regular bacon
                      Genia... did I taste this at your house?

Comment

I'm not sure Chayote, you may have because we often have it. It's great done on the BBQ - smoked on the non-heat side.
                        LTB - it is like pork loin, but a bit looser in texture.

Comment

Thanks Genia. Is it as good as I think it would be? I know Mudder talked about it awhile back when she had mentioned it for a meal and someone asked what it was. I think it would be good especially glazed with maple syrup.

Comment

I like it. I don't like the cornmeal it's coated in, but it seems to taste ok when it's done on the BBQ. We put it on the heat side, with the flame on the other side and let it 'smoke' until the temp. says it's done. It might be quite good glazed with maple syrup. You can also bake it in the oven, but BBQ is best. Of course you can slice it and fry it like regular bacon. LOL

Comment

My grocery store sells Canadian bacon and it looks nothing like Pork Loin, nothing at all. I have never bought it or cooked it, but I see it in the store on the shelf next to the regular bacon.

Comment

Working...
                              X