Today, I'm baking AND cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today, I'm baking AND cooking

I've gone through a period where I haven't cooked much and have lived on ham & cheese sandwiches on rye and cold cereal for the past week. I'm ready for "real" food so I'm going to make a large batch of (chicken) green chile and portion most of it out for the freezer. If I have green chile on hand, it is my "go to" meal. Noon-ish I'm going to put some fish fillets in the air fryer. Then I'm going to begin a batch of bread, along with chocolate zucchini bread. I slice the zucchini bread and freeze it so I can take out a few slices at a time. Next, I'm whipping out a batch of soft ginger cookies that will be frosted with a thin spiced icing. On Thursdays I go to a social hour, everyone brings snacks, so I'll be ready ahead of time. Boiling eggs for deviled eggs.

It is quite hot here, as high as 118 but more likely to be around 110. Today, slightly over 100 with clouds and possibly rain! We are having a very dry monsoon season and badly need rain. I've been getting up EARLY and working on outdoor projects while it is still "cool", mostly cleaning the patio and organizing the shed, and putting "things" in piles for an upcoming (charity) yard sale. Then I "hole up" for the most part.

I'm going to be looking online for recipes using sweetened condensed milk and/or cream cheese as I have these ingredients on hand in multiples and need to use them. So if you have any yummy ideas, pass them along.

Wishing all a happy day.

I wish I had your energy when it comes to cooking / baking. Our temps are a 100 + , heat index above that. I hate to turn the oven on or even the cook top.

Comment

yep, it feels like an oven here. I rarely cook. We go out to eat, so I don't have to turn on any ovens or stoves. I cannot wait until September....and hope it starts cooling off by then.

Comment

I try not to use the oven during the hottest months, but there comes a time when I break down. But, I also have an outdoor propane oven. It is very handy at times!

Comment

I wish that I had the energy,stamina & motivation to do so.I admire people who do so on a daily basis.You're a good influence Maryjo,now I want to bake!

Comment

Thankfully it's winter here and a very cold one at that. I'll be happy to have the oven on. We have a very sick lady from next door and the whole street is pulling together to feed her family. I'm having to cast my mind back to what teenagers like to eat so I've bought ingredients for lasagna, fried rice, curried sausages and I found on Pinterest a wonderful chicken noodle soup that is full of pieces of chicken, lots of vegetables and, of course, noodles... Gordon is cooking as well. Another two neighbours have taken on caring for the family's 5yo girl... both of those neighbours have girls the same age and they are all great friends. The other two households don't have anything to do with anyone in our court. It's going to be a long time before the Mum will be home and when she eventually does, she won't be able to do very much. Their house will need to be altered to accommodate a hospital bed and wheelchair but the government will pay for all that.
            I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryJo View Post
              I'm going to be looking online for recipes using sweetened condensed milk and/or cream cheese as I have these ingredients on hand in multiples and need to use them. So if you have any yummy ideas, pass them along.
              MaryJo... I have a recipe that uses sweetened condensed milk, butter, lemon zest and crushed sweet biscuits/cookies. It makes a slice and is great topped with lemon icing. If you have a Pinterest account I can send it directly to you... if not I can post it in here if you think it sounds good.

Comment

https://www.pinterest.com/maryjo4s/ I love Pinterest! I'll follow you once you send the recipe.
                Thanks!
                Guess what I'm doing? I'm starting a group that will meet once a month. I'll select a Pinterest craft, have women sign up, then get the materials needed and split the cost. We'll make them together, eat yummies and socialize. I'm naming it Pinterest - Make & Take. The first project is making a scarecrow out of a wine bottle, with twinkle lights inside, burlap, leaves, paint.
                I froze the frosted ginger cookies and still can't stay out of them.
                Last edited by MaryJo; 08-11-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryJo View Post
                  https://www.pinterest.com/maryjo4s/ I love Pinterest! I'll follow you once you send the recipe.
                  Thanks!.
                  g'day, MaryJo... I sent you a message in Pinterest... I hope you like the recipe. It uses can of sweetened condensed milk so of course I always double the recipe just to use the rest of the can (otherwise I'll eat the milk with a spoon 'til it's all gone)

I saved several of your boards. We have similar interests

Comment

Do you like to cook? I love very much. Therefore, I recommend you this page.
                    pizza lasagna
                    Try to cook.

pizza_47_0.jpg?itok=E0E0NjTl.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X