Why is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this?

My husband is turing 65 next month. He received application for pension. It is required that it be filled out by spouse. Does anyone know why this is?
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Not sure about Canadian laws but I would assume it would have something to do with your rights to collect his pension or if there could be anyone else with claim to it.

Comment

I did a search and from what I am understanding, and I could be wrong, you fill it out if you are applying for survivors benefits. Maybe you got the wrong form? I would take it where ever you could have it checked as a mix-up now could mess up his benefits if he did not file it time or wrong form is used. Just a thought. Can you bring up the form online as it said it could be filled out online and filed or mail form in..
      Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
      He drew a circle that shut me out.
      But love and I had the wit to win,
      We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

decided against posting ......
        Last edited by Sabine; 08-15-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Mudderbear have you shown this form to your husband ? What does he about it. I am sure somewhere on that form is a phone # you could call for information or an email you could send to get more info.
          Canada has different laws from ours and every company or government has different laws . Don't rely on a chat board to give you info about something like that.

Comment

there is nothing about survivors benefits on the form. I did look online and could not find an answer, but I will call and find out. It confused me and this is probably quite silly, but I was not sure if I was to fill in my info or I am filling in info as I am my husband lol.
            on the form they do ask for my name, social insurance number as well

the form was sent in my husbands name, and says it is to be filled out by spouse

Comment

They asked for your social security # ?? That is a red flag for me. I would not fill out anything on that form until I had more of an explanation for the whole thing. What does your husband think
              about all of this ? Who sent this form to you ? A government agency ?

Comment

I had issues like that when I was getting survivors benefits for my DGS. I was sitting across from the woman and she was no help. Called my lawyer, he called them and presto, he got it settled for me while I sat there and waited. What I checked was for Canada as it would be different so I agree with you about calling them. No,it is not silly as some of government forms are just not clear.

Hope they give the help and info you need.
                Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                He drew a circle that shut me out.
                But love and I had the wit to win,
                We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Is your husband applying for Medicare or a pension ? I thought he was self employed ? I don't even know, do you have Medicare in Canada ?

Comment

Canada Pension Plan vs. Old Age Security - the differences explained ...
                    https://www.cbc.ca/.../canada-pension-plan-vs-old-age-security-the-differe...
                    Jan 7, 2013 - Old Age Security. The Old Age Security pension is a monthly payment available to Canadians age 65 and older who apply and meet certain requirements. Unlike CPP, it is not dependent on a person's employment history and a person does not need to be retired from a job to qualify for it.

Comment

In Canada, the government provides basic health care to those who live here and who meet the eligibility requirements. In Ontario, the government-run health plan is called the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). ... OHIP pays for many healthcare services. OHIP pays for services that are medically necessary

Comment

Interesting, thanks for posting that info Mudderbear. CPP seems to be more like our Social Security program.
                        I hope you get the info on why they send you this form to fill out.

Comment

Working...
                        X