No announcement yet.

Rock Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I would buy something like that - very nice. Just shoot me if I had to do a craft - not my interest - but I can write a check!!

Comment

The last photo, one of my favorites - I call them Fat Bottom Girls. Most people love them. I've made some for fund raiser raffles and gifts. I hope to expand on the concept. Many are simple, as in the other examples - except the purple dotted one - because I hide them in parks, in front of restaurants/stores, etc. for people to find. I can't put a lot of effort into those. Hope you enjoy seeing this! I've done hundreds, it's fun and relaxing.

Comment

Haha Vera! I've sold several but don't like doing commissions. That's like -- work. Never fun and hard to please people. But if I make something and someone wants it, great.

Comment

Wow, nice painting, you are very talented Mary Jo.

Comment

I love those! Great work.

Comment

You do have a beautiful talent MaryJo. I am the same with items I crochet in that I will not sell any. I donate and rarely will give something if I know the person and if I know they truly love the item and want it. You are right. It then takes the joy out and becomes work and I stress over it because I am taking money and watch every stich.

You would make such a nice neighbor!!!
              Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
              He drew a circle that shut me out.
              But love and I had the wit to win,
              We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryJo View Post
                The last photo, one of my favorites - I call them Fat Bottom Girls. Most people love them. I've made some for fund raiser raffles and gifts. I hope to expand on the concept. Many are simple, as in the other examples - except the purple dotted one - because I hide them in parks, in front of restaurants/stores, etc. for people to find. I can't put a lot of effort into those. Hope you enjoy seeing this! I've done hundreds, it's fun and relaxing.
                MaryJo... I just finished reading a story in my magazine about a family in the UK who lost their little girl to cancer. Before she died the little girl and her brother painted rocks and they decided to leave the rocks in places for people to find and the brother is still doing that. Her story and pictures of the painted rocks... https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17...-fighter-isla/

I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

That's wonderful, Chayote! It is a world-wide activity. And thanks, livetobake. I could definitely live next door to you!

Comment

You are welcome and it would be my pleasure and enjoyment!!
                    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                    He drew a circle that shut me out.
                    But love and I had the wit to win,
                    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                      Now I would buy something like that - very nice. Just shoot me if I had to do a craft - not my interest - but I can write a check!!
                      As you said, Vera... not everybody wants to do craft and that's ok. Most of my customers don't even know how to sew a button on! I do craft and I do sell it. At any given time I have crocheted blankets and hand-knitted baby clothes on sale and I also take orders but I don't feel bad about it. The money I earn goes to making our lives a little more flexible than the aged pension allows and most of it goes on trips to Adelaide to see Andrew. I always use high quality yarns and, if ordered, use Australian pure Merino wool which is expensive. I find that people who are not crafty appreciate the effort and the cost of materials and are happy to pay for quality yarns and work. For about eight years when my children were young I had a table at our local craft market to support us when John was not able to work.

I'm not good at many things in this life but I can sew, knit and crochet to a high standard. My dream would be if either or both of my grandchildren expressed interest in learning my crafts just as I learned from my Grandma 60 years ago and my mother from when I was 12. As for sewing I was making my own school uniforms by the time I was in high school and I made my own wedding gown and bridesmaid's gown. It was a common thing to do back in those days but now fewer people learn these crafts.
                      I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Chayote, those are amazing skills to have!

Comment

We also need to remember that not everybody has the time to do crafts. A lot of women work full time today, and when they come home there is the household to take care of, kids to take care of, who has time for crafts... volunteer work for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                          X