Does anybody volunteer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody volunteer?

I've done some volunteer work in the past that made me feel that I was receiving more than I gave. One was office work at a free medical clinic, and another was at a nursing home where I pushed a refreshment cart from room to room, talking with residents and passing out juice, cookies and crackers. The latter was the most fulfilling work I've ever done. I've also worked with the older generation, once a month when (with a friend) we prepared food and decorated tables with a theme, and offered either an informational session or entertainment. That was so much fun. There was also a time when I published a home day care newsletter, which was 6-7 pages with a readership of over 1,400 statewide. Boy, was that a lot of work!

I don't do much as far as organized volunteering any more, but I do provide services to others and maybe that's just as important. A few examples are working in the community kitchen once a month, and I work up the monthly calendar with all the events on it. Starting in October I'll be volunteering at Bingo, but I'll also be able to play. I also help people start up their own rock painting groups and it is fun seeing them get excited over it and their numbers grow.

After "taking off" nearly 18 months, it is great being able to give back again.

How do you give back? What are you selflessly involved in that benefits others?

I have volunteered for several years at a center every Wednesday and do whatever they ask. It is for people that are struggling, homeless and those need medical or emotional help. I have made and donated countless scarves and baby blankets some big enough for 2-3 years olds. I have three bags full now that I have ready for cold weather and made 2 today for children. Last year 73 were gone over the winter and I could barely keep up with the demand so I have made a bigger head start. I have seen them in public being worn and that is a feeling that makes me feel nice seeing someone or children snuggled up in them. I saw one child sitting in a cart hold the blanket I had made with it up against her face. I wish I could have taken a picture of her. She looked so content.

I have donated time at the church for 22 years teaching Sunday school, working the office running off the bulletins for church, helping with the youth group, preparing food for the Community dinners, donating desserts, transporting members that need rides, grocery shopping if the get the call, donating food for funeral dinners.

I have found exactly what you say MaryJo, I have gotten so much back that was so unexpected and learned so much about people, needs, graciousness and thankfulness. I sat on the Board of Directors and help start up the food pantry that we call Manna, that means Food From Heaven. That was such and eye opener.

I have said and do my best that I live by it: You give and leave behind more then you ever take without any thought of self gain.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

I used to knit tiny booties, hats and blankets for premature babies born at a hospital in Melbourne but then I found out that all of the sets I made where sold in their gift shop. I was unimpressed.
      I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post
        I used to knit tiny booties, hats and blankets for premature babies born at a hospital in Melbourne but then I found out that all of the sets I made where sold in their gift shop. I was unimpressed.
        They didn't tell you that the sets were going to be sold in their gift shop ? I guess you were under the impression they would be given to the families of the babies.

Comment

My husband and I volunteer at our town's Legion. Whatever needs to be done, we try to help out. Legion has a wing night, fish and chip night and Sunday brunch. We having been raising funds for new kitchen equipment, which hopefully will be going in soon. Hubby is spearheaded that building committee, he also does the childrens Halloween haunted house. I mostly help out at the flea markets, and any luncheons for functions booked in there.

we also volunteer at our local Food Bank
          A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post

They didn't tell you that the sets were going to be sold in their gift shop ? I guess you were under the impression they would be given to the families of the babies.
            No, Sabine... they had an appeal in a magazine I bought that specifically said that the hospital wanted knitters to make the packs containing boots, hat and blanket... even printed the patterns. For very small babies they wanted to use them for the premature babies and let the parents take the items home as either a memento of a baby that died or a memory of how small the baby was at birth. It touched my heart because I had lost a baby in the 3rd trimester and I would have liked to have had that kind of memento. When I saw my items in the gift shop I asked the volunteer about them. She said that when any hand craft was donated to the hospital the gift shop had the first pick of what was donated. Perhaps they got too many donations but they should have passed them on to other hospitals or put them into storage for future babies. I just felt that they did the wrong thing.
            I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

livetobake - When I lived in Cedar Rapids, I ran the church pantry outreach, and that was such an eye opener for me. Never had I felt so blessed. I loved doing that.

Comment

Working...
              X