Gas or Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas or Electric?

It is not cost feasible to install a gas line for the stove at the new house, so we ordered an electric one today. I have never cooked on electric. Wondering if this old dog can learn new tricks. Which do you prefer?

I have to have a gas range. I mean, I can cook on electric but prefer gas. I think it’s easier to switch from gas to electric than the other way around. Some people cannot cook on gas. I don’t know why.

Comment

Of course you can learn , it takes some adjustments if you are used to gas, but it really is not that hard.
      Personally I prefer electric, but I don't cook much. When we renovated our kitchen I got an electric glass cooktop with 5 stations and 2 electric wall ovens. I love having 2 ovens at holiday time, I wish now I had listen to the installer and gotten a warming drawer underneath the ovens, good to keep bread, muffins, biscuits warm.

Comment

My stove top has 4 gas and 2 electric. The only time I use the electric is for a long slow simmer. We have the double ovens (microwave doubles as a convection). We have a warming drawer, I’ve never used it.

Comment

You can muz it just will take a learning curve. When I bought this house I had hookups for either and tho I had always cooked on electric I choose gas. Let's just say at first everything was burnt because electric takes time heating up and the pans heat slower also. With gas the heat is instant and when you turn the burner off the heat is off. With electric the burner takes long cooling down so when you leave the pan remember that or things could burn if left in the pan while you are buttering toast, etc. Gas, you can fine tune the heat level better I think and maybe with the newer electric ranges you can do it much better then from 42 years ago. The main reason I have a gas hot water tank and stove is that when the electric goes out, hot showers are still there, hot meals can be made even if it is just opening cans, and some heat and humidity can be put into a room when it is zero or below outside. That has happened many times.

You are a good cook, smart and I am sure you will do fine. In time you may find you like it better then gas. If you have a gas grill there you go!!!
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

We actually plan on getting a whole house generator in the spring, pretty sure this will be our forever home. Its not even anything fantastic but the layout is prefect for aging lol. I told hubs I have to have new pots and pans because none of mine will work on an electric stove. He believes me, and I already told his mom and sister my plan so they will agree with me

Comment

I said you are smart!!!!
              Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
              He drew a circle that shut me out.
              But love and I had the wit to win,
              We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

I prefer gas but I used electricity on our last Tassie house. I found the electric stove easier to clean because it was a flat surface. The stove I have now has a gas cooktop and electric fan-forced oven.
                I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                  We actually plan on getting a whole house generator in the spring, pretty sure this will be our forever home. Its not even anything fantastic but the layout is prefect for aging lol. I told hubs I have to have new pots and pans because none of mine will work on an electric stove. He believes me, and I already told his mom and sister my plan so they will agree with me
                  Haha on the new pans! Woot!

Good going on the whole house generator. We sure needed that back in FL, wish we had put one in.

Comment

While we were away for a week at the Outer Banks of NC in August, the house we rented had an electric cook top. I thought I was going to have another birthday because I am used to gas with instant heat. Electric is too slow for me. My cook top at home has multiple BTUs on each burner to include very low to blazing hot fast. I prefer gas hands down. We have a stand by generator for our house but we don't power everything due to the capacity of the generator. However, I can just take a match to the gas stove and it's lit. Some big draws for power in the house would be AC and wall ovens so they aren't connected to the generator. But we have ceiling fans and can use our outdoor grill instead of ovens. Generator starts automatically in about 10 seconds. If you want the generator to start up by itself, you will have to install a transfer switch so it transfers from commercial power to standby generator. Best thing we ever did. Other neighbors have to go and manually connect their generator with cords and manually start it. Thank goodness we don't have to do that.
                    Last edited by Vera; 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I've always had gas. I heard that people who go from gas to electric have to get used to the fact that the burners do not turn instantly off, like with gas. I wanted to go electric before the last hurricane, but now I don't. We lost electricity for a week and was so glad I had my gas stove then.

Comment

I agree with livetobake, but I have and prefer electric, probably because it is what I am used to. I grew up in a home that had a gas stove but that was a lifetime ago and I don't really remember much about using it. I have a propane grill and an outdoor camp stove/oven which is also propane, plus some "emergency/camping" type cook items. I do not even have a gas line running to my home. I rarely use a furnace and that is electric. I have one of those oil filled space heaters that looks like an old fashioned radiator. That's really all I need here. Anyhow, my electric stove top has the crappy coils, which I hate. My oven is a small one, in the wall. Oh, I have a cast iron single cook top! The surface is flat. I bought it because when I had a glass top, I couldn't use my pressure canner on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X