What do you consider large??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you consider large??

With CharleneG moving, she always referred to her kitchen as a 'one butt' kitchen. But she also said her house was too large. Just curious as to what you consider to be a large house - number of bedrooms/bathrooms, square feet of finished space, number of garages? I consider a house to be large when it is over 4500 square feet and up. A small house would be about 2000 square feet or less and a medium between 2000-4500.

I have a 1-butt kitchen too! What a funny description! I have enough cabinets but limited counter top, which is important. Vera, I'm surprised at what you think of as small, medium and large! It guess it is all relative to our experiences, right? What size is your own place? I'm so curious!

Well, I live alone and have about 1,200 sq. ft. and that is more than enough for me and my pets. I have a few rooms I rarely use. I have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, both nice size. I also have a well-constructed "Arizona room" addition. It is large enough for a bedroom on 1 side and living room on the other (and also is where the 2nd bathroom is.) I also have a large enclosed patio that extends my living space. I am not a hoarder so storage isn't an issue. While I know that 1,200 sq. ft. isn't large, I consider it average. Now, some years back, I lived in a "large" home, about 2,800 sq. ft. plus an unfinished basement of 800. And with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, we had ample room (and again, rooms that were rarely used.) At the time I worked with a woman who had "downsized" to a 3,200 sq. ft. home and was having a difficult time adjusting to it being "so small." I probably would be lost in what you (Vera) consider a "medium" size home! And I wouldn't want to clean it, either.

No judgment on anyone regardless of their choice of home style or size from me.

That said - I am drawn into the tiny home movement. I LOVE THEM. I am sure I'd need more room, though.

Comment

I have watched those " tiny home " shows on the HGTV network, and I know it would never work for me, not even if I was living by myself.
      It's just the 2 of us and our house is about 3,200 sq. feet, two story with the master bedroom / bathroom downstairs, so basically we live downstairs.
      Upstairs 3 bedrooms and a jack / jill bathroom. Walk in attic, no basement, nobody in south texas has a basement
      Master bedroom / bathroom downstairs, living room , bar, formal dining , office, kitchen and breakfast downstairs off the living area, all open space. Great party house.
      3 car garage, patio and deck of the living area. Patio is covered.
      I don't worry about cleaning, I have a maid, worth every penny she charges.

Comment

As an insurance agent the magical number to be considered a large home is 1800 sq ft. The one we are in now is 1380. I love this house just not stairs. The one we are going to is 1200. The kitchen is a really nice sized space, 3 small bedrooms and 2 bath. My hubs is a slob, so the less space I have to clean the better. For just the two of us we really dont need that space. His friends were downing him because we are moving into a Mexican neighborhood in a small house, but I can tell you we are laying it out. I ordered my midnight blue kraftmaid cabinets already I refuse to pay an arm and a leg in taxes. I am 45 and so close to retiring, would rather have the small house and not work! A big house would be awesome, but I think I would rather travel. Of course I could change my mind down the road. I did look at a beach house which we could afford, but the tasex were 7k a year..... no thanks.

Comment

It is also just my husband and me. I think what bothers me is that older, small houses have 8 foot or a little less ceiling height. I prefer taller ceilings. We also have a first floor master bedroom, bathroom and laundry room. Upstairs is for company and we also have a fully finished basement which I call the lower level because I think it is beautiful. It includes a media room, office (my husbands), pantry, half bathroom, my husband's large work room and large party room with a pool table and bubbler juke box and great bar (eight stools). If I lived by myself, I would get a small place but would prefer a great room which usually has higher ceilings and I would skip the living room like we did at our current house. Another thing my husband and I are fans of is having crown moldings where the ceiling and wall meet, Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. We do have five garages (3 attached to the house and 2 detached). Four vehicles but the extra garage is for storing our two tractors and yard equipment. We do have a large front covered porch and our larger back porch has a unique feature. We live on a river and when entertaining on the back porch we had installed automatic screens to keep the mosquitoes out!! It is remote controlled. There are a couple of other unique features we installed in our house including a mail box alert which beeps 7 times when the mail is delivered. Mailbox is up at the road about 60 feet away so when it is raining, I don't go up until I am alerted. One more feature is a driveway sensor that announces "driveway traffic" when a car drives over the magnetic field. We are always in the back of the house so no one can sneak up on us. The magnetic field is preferred rather than a laser light across the driveway because deer or other animals can set it off at 3 am! Don't want that. Mary Jo - I guess we would have a large home according to my description above. I guess it is all in what you get used to.

Comment

" I did look at a beach house which we could afford, but the taxes were 7k a year..... no thanks."

Our house is not on the beach ( I wish ) it's in the city limits and our taxes are $ 6000 + per year.
            If I had to sell this house I would miss the walk in pantry, which I absolutely love, the big laundry room and the powder room. So nice to have when you have company and they don't have to use
            your bathroom. Powder room is small , but does the job.

Comment

We moved into this colonial 2 years ago. Our last house had a 4000 sq ft garage and 4 acres. Now that the kids are grown, it was to much work. My hubs does not have the best health so its also preparing for the future, I want to live in something small that I can afford and maintain myself. I see so many women who loose everything when their husbands pass away, and that will not be me. Our current home does have 10 ft ceilings, I will miss that dearly. We really did seriously consider moving into the historical mansion, but I dont want to clean that much. Also if one of our parents had to move in with us, while small it truly is a handicap accessible home. I would just have to remove one of the tubs and make a roll in shower. Plus the Mexican lady next to the new house offered to teach me how to do some true Mexican cooking. I think I would stay in our home if it was possible to have air conditioning, but there is no way to vent the upstairs. It has these dreadful baseboard heaters you have to manually adjust, I want easy. We are looking for a vacation house somewhere in the south so we can winter down there, but like I said if we hate it we can move in 2 years so we don't have to pay the capitol gains tax.

Comment

Be careful where you choose to move down south, if you should go that route. I am talking hurricanes.

Comment

My house is 1137 sq. ft. living space...not counting a single garage. I consider it the perfect size for 2 old people. When our 2 kids were home, it was kind of small, but those years went by fast. My grandmothers house was over 3000 sq. ft, with screened-in porches, covered porches and a drive-through breezeway that hooked to a 2 car garage. I always thought her house was way too big. She lived alone. So, my answer would be under a 1000 ft. as small, 1100 to about 1400 medium and anything larger, just too large too keep clean and pay taxes, insurance, and upkeep on.

Comment

holy crow that's a lot of taxes people pay! ours is only 2,500. a year and we have a few acres. we are looking at buying waterfront property and it is not much more than what we pay now. we are on a small lake. that's may be why?
                    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

darn, I forgot to mention my kitchen. It's L-shaped and no more than room for one person cooking and maybe someone on the other end of the countertop prepping. My taxes, house with 3 acres, runs about $850/year with the homestead exemption. I live in the country and that is why it is on the cheaper side. No city taxes.

Comment

Our house was about 800 sq. feet when we moved in. 2 bedrooms one bath. My dh converted part of the dining room into a closet size bedroom for dd (she was only 3 at the time) and ds and us got the regular bedrooms. Now we use it as a closet. A couple of years later he built a small 2 story addition which added about 300 more feet. We couldn't call them bedrooms because they have no closets. He put in a attic ladder to get to the upper floor. He was going to put in stairs later, but never did. I can't climb up the ladder anymore so I call it the land of the lost. He throws stuff aka junk he brings home up there. We use the bottom room for our bedroom anyways and dd got our old room till she moved out. He also was going to add another small bathroom, there but also never did. DS never moved out and It wasn't and still is not easy only having one bathroom.
                        No garage. Just gravel driveways on each side. Parking is a...... on our street.

Comment

Love this topic. Our home was very small when we moved in... 10 squares in our measurements... 1,000 square feet with 3 bedrooms, one bathroom, loungeroom/living room, kitchen and laundry. We had one child with minimal prospects of having more. After the arrival two more children we extended the house which was then 1,800 square feet with an added bedroom, bathroom and familyroom. We have a 3 car garage that has always been used as John's workshop with a rear storage area. This would be considered a 'medium-sized' house by Australian standards. My daughter's new home would be a large house... about 5,000 square feet, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3 living areas (one of which they are using as an office), dining room (being used as Andrew's play room), open-plan kitchen, laundry and then there's a large covered area outside that the real estate agents call an "al fresco dining" area which is currently used by Andrew to hoon around on his bike. Attached to their house is a 3 car garage and there's a swimming pool in the back yard.

Our land is small... you can see in this photo the playground and green shed (storage) in the front yard, garage was built an odd shape because it followed the boundary fence. The red-roof house next door is Gordon's.

https://i.imgur.com/YJdc6hc.jpg
                          I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

The house we just moved out of was almost 4000 square feet, with about an extra 1000 sq feet of basement and a 4 car garage with workshop. It had 2 kitchens, 4 large bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a large living room and dining room upstairs, and a 21x31 sq foot family room that we used as our living area, an office/possible small bedroom downstairs and a laundry room. It was way too big for just the 2 of us. The house we bought in WA is about 1600 sq feet. We should sign all the papers on Friday.

Comment

I think anything over 4500 square feet is large. Our last house was about 5000 sq. ft. and it was perfect for us. It really was our dream house. This house we are in is huge and way too big but it was supposed to be four adults living here. We’ll update it, live in it for a few years. Then totally downsize to a one level way up in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                              X