Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chayote
    replied
    Vera, you know that I love your home, inside and out. I can imagine being in your guest area if I ever get myself fit enough to get back on a plane...

Leave a comment:

• CharleneG
    replied
    That’s a beautiful home Vera!

Leave a comment:

• MudderBear
    replied
    There is a small home/cottage on our lake that is for sale. Our son in law and daughter are considering purchasing as an investment. It's crazy...when my FIL owned it, he sold it for $269 in 2000, Now it is listed for $995. Not a large home, not much property. It's been totally revamped, and looks amazing. We shall see.....

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by Chayote View Post
    This post is on behalf of Vera. She says:

"We too live in a rural area and a young man took a drone shot about three years ago. You can see the main house, a separate two car garage to the left and a shed which matches the house to the right. My husband built the gazebo down by the water. No wonder we don't go on vacation very often."

https://i.imgur.com/DN9t5px.jpg
    Gorgeous! Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Sabine
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryJo View Post
    Sabine, how wonderful to have a maid! Vera, your place sounds awesome! I'm glad you started this thread - it is an interesting one. I echo what has been said about taxes - why pay taxes on extra space that is unused.
    Yes, I enjoy having household help. I hired Delores when we bought this house, I was still working, and didn't want to spend my weekends cleaning a house. Basically we bought / hired her with the house so to speak , no regrets there. Her husband is a part time handy man for us and we appreciate all they do for us.

Leave a comment:

• Vera
    replied
    Thank you for the compliments Sabine, MudderBear and Maryjo. Our county taxes us pretty stiff due to waterfront. We have owned the property since 1983 but didn't build our house until 1996. You certainly forget about the outside world when home. Especially when the eagles and osprey start an air fight due to one of the birds having a fish in their talons or claws - pretty entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• MaryJo
    replied
    Sabine, how wonderful to have a maid! Vera, your place sounds awesome! I'm glad you started this thread - it is an interesting one. I echo what has been said about taxes - why pay taxes on extra space that is unused.

Leave a comment:

• MudderBear
    replied
    beautiful, Vera

Leave a comment:

• Sabine
    replied
    Wow, what a beautiful house , really an estate. I don't think I would want to leave there either.

Leave a comment:

• Chayote
    replied
    This post is on behalf of Vera. She says:

"We too live in a rural area and a young man took a drone shot about three years ago. You can see the main house, a separate two car garage to the left and a shed which matches the house to the right. My husband built the gazebo down by the water. No wonder we don't go on vacation very often."

https://i.imgur.com/DN9t5px.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    I think anything over 4500 square feet is large. Our last house was about 5000 sq. ft. and it was perfect for us. It really was our dream house. This house we are in is huge and way too big but it was supposed to be four adults living here. We’ll update it, live in it for a few years. Then totally downsize to a one level way up in the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• CharleneG
    replied
    The house we just moved out of was almost 4000 square feet, with about an extra 1000 sq feet of basement and a 4 car garage with workshop. It had 2 kitchens, 4 large bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a large living room and dining room upstairs, and a 21x31 sq foot family room that we used as our living area, an office/possible small bedroom downstairs and a laundry room. It was way too big for just the 2 of us. The house we bought in WA is about 1600 sq feet. We should sign all the papers on Friday.

Leave a comment:

• Chayote
    replied
    Love this topic. Our home was very small when we moved in... 10 squares in our measurements... 1,000 square feet with 3 bedrooms, one bathroom, loungeroom/living room, kitchen and laundry. We had one child with minimal prospects of having more. After the arrival two more children we extended the house which was then 1,800 square feet with an added bedroom, bathroom and familyroom. We have a 3 car garage that has always been used as John's workshop with a rear storage area. This would be considered a 'medium-sized' house by Australian standards. My daughter's new home would be a large house... about 5,000 square feet, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3 living areas (one of which they are using as an office), dining room (being used as Andrew's play room), open-plan kitchen, laundry and then there's a large covered area outside that the real estate agents call an "al fresco dining" area which is currently used by Andrew to hoon around on his bike. Attached to their house is a 3 car garage and there's a swimming pool in the back yard.

Our land is small... you can see in this photo the playground and green shed (storage) in the front yard, garage was built an odd shape because it followed the boundary fence. The red-roof house next door is Gordon's.

https://i.imgur.com/YJdc6hc.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Hayburner
    replied
    Our house was about 800 sq. feet when we moved in. 2 bedrooms one bath. My dh converted part of the dining room into a closet size bedroom for dd (she was only 3 at the time) and ds and us got the regular bedrooms. Now we use it as a closet. A couple of years later he built a small 2 story addition which added about 300 more feet. We couldn't call them bedrooms because they have no closets. He put in a attic ladder to get to the upper floor. He was going to put in stairs later, but never did. I can't climb up the ladder anymore so I call it the land of the lost. He throws stuff aka junk he brings home up there. We use the bottom room for our bedroom anyways and dd got our old room till she moved out. He also was going to add another small bathroom, there but also never did. DS never moved out and It wasn't and still is not easy only having one bathroom.
    No garage. Just gravel driveways on each side. Parking is a...... on our street.

Leave a comment:

• AllieK
    replied
    darn, I forgot to mention my kitchen. It's L-shaped and no more than room for one person cooking and maybe someone on the other end of the countertop prepping. My taxes, house with 3 acres, runs about $850/year with the homestead exemption. I live in the country and that is why it is on the cheaper side. No city taxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X