fresh apricots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fresh apricots...

While some of you are having snow covering your gardens, I feel like I'm knee deep in apricots. My now two year old apricot tree is absolutely loaded and because of the hot weather we've been having, they are all ripening at the same time. I've just bought 18kg of sugar and will be making jam tomorrow. I just found a recipe for apricot worchestershire sauce which I'll also make tomorrow if I have any treacle in the pantry (think I have) and I'd like to have a go at making apricot vinaigrette but haven't yet found a recipe using fresh apricots.

We are stripping the tree tomorrow so I'll be cooking up an absolute storm for the rest of the week.

Question: if you were knee deep in fresh apricots, what would you do to them? Don't say give them to a food bank because they are not allowed to take them here... the council has gone crazy with rules about donating fresh fruit and veg. I've already shared some with neighbours. I'd like to do something with them that means we can enjoy them for the coming year.
    I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

I have no clue what I would do besides passing them on to friends and family. I guess you could make a lot of jam, you could freeze some, eat them every day until they are all gone.

Comment

Do you have a way to dehydrate them to make dried apricots? I think that’s what I’d do with them. Low and slow in the oven perhaps?

Comment

Yep I would dry some, put them in oatmeal. I would make nectar and can it, since its water bath canning its easy. Put some into champagne or sangria, yum.

Comment

I love, love, love, dried apricots! My gosh, I haven't had them in years.

Comment

I've been reading about drying them in the oven. I'll have a go at it. I love dried apricots but the ones sold in the supermarket have no taste in them. I'll let you know how they go... Thanks for a good suggestion.

Stripping the tree is happening in about 5 hours. I have the jars and sugar ready for a production-line cooking effort. I'll keep the ripest fruit for drying.
            I get more housework done in 10 minutes before someone comes over than I do in a week!

Comment

you could freeze some as mentioned before and then use them in loaves/cakes, or make jam with them later when you have more time. You could also make apricot chutney and can that - if you like chutney. Apricot jam is amazing and works nicely as a sauce for chicken or other meat.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Genia... yes I love chutney and often use it as a base for slow cooker meals and curry. I have a good recipe for chutney that uses Ezi Sauce so I can just substitute the tomatoes for apricots. Added to my list for tomorrow... Also making some apricot nectar. I'm sure homemade would be much tastier than the stuff in the tin.

Comment

Most of the apricots are now picked. Tiff braved the smoke and stripped the tree while her dog and Lucy were getting groomed. Now I just need to make the jam, nectar, sauce and salad dressing. Tiff owns a dehydrator so she is going to bring that to me this afternoon.

Comment

re the chutney, you can also search for apricot chutney recipes rather than just adapt one for tomatoes. The spicing might be different, but the tomato one might work well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Genia View Post
                      re the chutney, you can also search for apricot chutney recipes rather than just adapt one for tomatoes. The spicing might be different, but the tomato one might work well too.
                      you're right, Genia... you're a much better cook than me... *LOL* I don't know anything about spices. I was going to use a bottle of Ezy Sauce which is the product I use in place of vinegar and spices but when I read the recipes on the Ezy Sauce website, they are all tomato-based sauces so not suitable for apricots. I've since looked up a recipe and I need to buy garlic (but I do have garlic salt so maybe I can use that), mustard seeds (maybe I can use powdered mustard?) and turmeric. Everything else I already have.

Comment

I don't think I would use garlic salt in place of garlic - may end up with too much salt. If you don't have garlic or mustard seed, just leave it out. Neither are essential and it will just taste a bit different without those items. When I make conserves that call for nuts, I usually leave them out because I'm not fond of nuts and it doesn't affect the conserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Genia View Post
                          I don't think I would use garlic salt in place of garlic - may end up with too much salt. If you don't have garlic or mustard seed, just leave it out. Neither are essential and it will just taste a bit different without those items. When I make conserves that call for nuts, I usually leave them out because I'm not fond of nuts and it doesn't affect the conserve.
                          In that case I will just leave them out. I would mainly use the chutney as a base for slow cooking chicken or pork. That's what I use my tomato relish for. Thanks for your advice, Genia...

Comment

I have some apricots in Tiff's dehydrator. I read online that I should trim the part where the stalk was and also turn the apricots inside-out... did both of those things. Now I just have to wait 15 hours or so and see if it works.

https://i.imgur.com/N35WrZk.jpg

Comment

Chayote - I'm not fond of dried fruit but your apricots look amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X