Things are getting serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are getting serious

"Tried" to go to grocery store today and there was a line out to the parking lot and parking lot was full DH and I didn't want to wait that long, so we went to the neighboring town. Heard over there, that HEB was only letting in 20 at a time. I've gone in the last 2 days, before this started, and cannot find any meat, bread, eggs, milk, most canned good, most fresh produce, absolutely no germ killers of any kind, including alcohol.
    Will go tomorrow when store opens at 8....if I can make myself get up that early. Hopefully they stock overnight. I'm not out of groceries, but need to stock up soem more, jsut in case things get worse. I have 15 cats to feed too

We ran to Meijers last night, just because I needed sparkling water. I might have to order a soda stream. I picked up a corned beef and a pot roast. I will just grind the roast up since there was no ground beef. I have enough not to worry, tons of dried beans, lots of flour and oatmeal and such. The bodega and the bakery's actually have a decent stock. You just have to check the smaller mom and pop shops. My cats are idiots and wont touch people food, unless its a stick of butter.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
      "Tried" to go to grocery store today and there was a line out to the parking lot and parking lot was full DH and I didn't want to wait that long, so we went to the neighboring town. Heard over there, that HEB was only letting in 20 at a time. I've gone in the last 2 days, before this started, and cannot find any meat, bread, eggs, milk, most canned good, most fresh produce, absolutely no germ killers of any kind, including alcohol.
      Will go tomorrow when store opens at 8....if I can make myself get up that early. Hopefully they stock overnight. I'm not out of groceries, but need to stock up soem more, jsut in case things get worse. I have 15 cats to feed too
      l

AllieK, I don't know if you have an HEB store close to you, but my HEB store opens at 8 am and only let about 10 people in and then after a few minutes the next 10 people can go in and on and on
      from what I understand lines start to form around 7 or so, yes, that means getting up early and standing in line. But that is how it is right now.
      Also I read on the internet last night that Walmart and Target will have senior hours starting next week . go on their web sites and get the details. HEB is limiting how much you can buy on just about everything. Problem comes in when families of several people come in and everybody takes a cart and they fan out all over the store and one gets paper goods, one gets meat, one gets produce , you get my point. The person that comes in by himself / herself does not have a chance against that. But I don't know what a store can do about that ??

You can also get frozen hamburger patties and use them instead of the regular ground beef.

Comment

Hopefully I won't need to brave the supermarket for a couple of weeks. I'll just need bread every 3 or 4 days.

I'm surprised at the number of people who pick up their children from school at 3.30pm and then take them to the supermarket. Those children should be taken straight home and away from people. I didn't feel comfortable every time someone came near me. The advice we are hearing is to stay isolated as much as possible and assume that everyone you see can infect you with the virus.

Yes, it is getting serious and I'm becoming more afraid of what's happening every day...
        I find it easier to organise chores into categories...
        things I won't do now; things I won't do later and things I will never do.

Comment

We’re on self quarantine per doc after Scott went on a business trip to Boston and someone turned up positive almost a week later. Also Scott’s boss woke up sick a few days ago. 11 days for us to go. We’re good on supplies, but if we need anything my sister or another family member can drop it off at the front door. People are getting crazy, showing up to grocery parking lots with guns and taking peoples groceries. Now our stores have security in the lots. Crazy!

Comment

I just went to Walmart, I got one pkg of ground beef and one rotisserie grilled chicken, I will make chicken salad for lunch for today and tomorrow.
            Walmart has a big sign on the door, senior hours, every Tuesday morning , 6-7 am
            I was never much of a walmart shopper, but desperate times call for desperate measures. even if it means shopping at walmart.

Comment

I’ve been fortunate that my local markets have been pretty well stocked and very glad that I’ve got a pretty well stocked pantry and freezers. We did a lot of bulk shopping before this all started. Our state isn’t on “shelter in place” YET, but it could happen. People here are staying home and observing the social distancing pretty well as it is. There are still some not being careful. I talked to my youngest son last night in CA, and he’s still out riding buses, trying to find NA meetings and generally doing the same stupid crap he always does. I had to jump all over his case last night, told him to stop and think about the danger he’s putting himself in. Pretty sure he was rolling his eyes and thinking “garbage in/garbage out” like usual. I never claimed the kid had any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                I just went to Walmart, I got one pkg of ground beef and one rotisserie grilled chicken, I will make chicken salad for lunch for today and tomorrow.
                Walmart has a big sign on the door, senior hours, every Tuesday morning , 6-7 am
                I was never much of a walmart shopper, but desperate times call for desperate measures. even if it means shopping at walmart.
                I was never a morning person. The only way I could be at the shops at 6am is if I stayed up all night...

Comment

We have isolated ourselves because of John's health. Without a spleen he would have no resistance to the virus if he came in contact with it. I'm trying to get groceries delivered. Woolworths put up a form on their website which I completed a week ago but didn't receive a response from them. I filled it in again tonight.

We are not counting days because we will continue to live like this until the virus is cured or under control. If nothing else we'll develop a fantastic vegetable garden for next season...

Comment

I really doubt that there will be a "cure " for this virus or any virus, the most we can hope for is a vaccine, like we have vaccine for the flu. Hopefully this virus will run it's course like all the others have in the past. And we can go back to our every day routines.
                    My girlfriend put a grocery order in and was told it would take 12 days before they could deliver it. Not sure if she could have picked it up herself and then it would not have been that long. ?? She lives by herself, so I think she has plenty of food for now. She has a son who lives about an hour away, I am sure he could help out, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

I was never a morning person. The only way I could be at the shops at 6am is if I stayed up all night...
                      I'm with you Chayote. I have to stay up until 3 am to feed my diabetic cat and give her her insulin shot. I'll just have to stay up and sleep when I get home. I'm going to go next Tuesday to shop at Walmart, which is at least a 45 minute drive for me.

Comment

I am lucky, my Walmart is barely 10 min from my house , and my HEB is right next to it, so I shop both stores , now that we have the virus problem. Usually l just shop HEB.
                        I am also planning on going to Walmart on Tuesday morning. I may become a walmart shopper after all........not.
                        Having to be there that early is not easy for me either, because I am sure people will line up way before 6.
                        And from what I read they are also allowed to bring one person with them if they need help, so I am not sure who is doing the shopping here ?? The old person or the person who comes with them and will shop for the whole family ????
                        Last edited by Sabine; 03-21-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I am lucky, my Walmart is barely 10 min from my house , and my HEB is right next to it, so I shop both stores , now that we have the virus problem. Usually l just shop HEB.
                          I am also planning on going to Walmart on Tuesday morning. I may become a walmart shopper after all........not.
                          Having to be there that early is not easy for me either, because I am sure people will line up way before 6.
                          And from what I read they are also allowed to bring one person with them if they need help, so I am not sure who is doing the shopping here ?? The old person or the person who comes with them and will shop for the whole family ????
                          DH will be with me, so I guess he's a plus one. I'm sure these elderly people will be shopping for other family members too. I'll be picking up a few things for my son, but not a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post

DH will be with me, so I guess he's a plus one. I'm sure these elderly people will be shopping for other family members too. I'll be picking up a few things for my son, but not a lot.
                            But that defeats the purpose of letting senior people shop early. If they are just going to hoard food for their families.
                            Last edited by Sabine; 03-21-2020, 04:29 PM.

Comment

But that defeats the purpose of letting senior people shop early. If they are just going to hoard food for their families.
                              The purpose is to let them shop with an emptier store so they don't have to go among all the other people. They have less chance of contracting the virus like that. I'm not going to hoard food. I'm going to pick up extra dried beans and rice and maybe flour and cornmeal and canned milk, eggs, to use for making cornbread or pancakes. And, maybe some pet food for their cats. These are things I would buy anyway at the regular hours. I just have a better chance of finding stuff on the shelves at the earlier hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X