Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

July 27th Dinner Post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • July 27th Dinner Post

    Good Morning!

    It is sunny, it is hot, it is muggy and the flowers, garden and grass are loving it. Me, not so much but will be grateful for all the good in my life while taking out more bottles of fluids for the workers working on the road out front. They are so hot already. The high of 90 and the low of 70.

    I will use the last of the homemade bread and make French toast for dinner along with bacon and a fruit salad.

    What will be your dinner this summer evening?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

  • #2
    I feel like I've spent most of today baking bread. I made three loaves... one for us, one for Gordon and one for Tiff. It's a good thing to have the second Thermomix bowl so I don't need to clean up between loaves. Found a nice looking recipe for a buttermilk loaf which I'll try as soon as I can get a carton of buttermilk. Looking for a good sour dough recipe.

    Our family member who was waiting on the result of his COVID tests was happy to receive a negative result.

    For dinner tonight I cooked bacon and eggs for John; I had the last of the tuna pasta salad and three chicken wings leftover from another night.
    I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chayote View Post
      I feel like I've spent most of today baking bread. I made three loaves... one for us, one for Gordon and one for Tiff. It's a good thing to have the second Thermomix bowl so I don't need to clean up between loaves. Found a nice looking recipe for a buttermilk loaf which I'll try as soon as I can get a carton of buttermilk. Looking for a good sour dough recipe.

      Our family member who was waiting on the result of his COVID tests was happy to receive a negative result.

      For dinner tonight I cooked bacon and eggs for John; I had the last of the tuna pasta salad and three chicken wings leftover from another night.
      I am glad to hear that the covid test came back negative, what a relief.

      Comment


      • #4
        We had one of the grand kids last night, by the time we got moving and packed him up to go home it was almost 3 pm. We had plain old leftovers.

        Comment


        • #5
          It is HOT today! We actually did turn on the AC for awhile and we’ll probably turn it on again in a little while. We have west facing windows and since the sun sets so late we get a lot of it in the living room. Sooo glad we have AC!

          We’re going to finish the shrimp and tomatoes with warm spices and couscous tonight and we’ll have more of the Dreamsicle “Salad” for dessert.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
            It is HOT today! We actually did turn on the AC for awhile and we’ll probably turn it on again in a little while. We have west facing windows and since the sun sets so late we get a lot of it in the living room. Sooo glad we have AC!

            We’re going to finish the shrimp and tomatoes with warm spices and couscous tonight and we’ll have more of the Dreamsicle “Salad” for dessert.
            you didn't have A/C in California ? Just wondering .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sabine View Post

              you didn't have A/C in California ? Just wondering .
              No we didn’t have it there, although we had a window AC in our bedroom. We lived about 3-4 miles from the Pacific Ocean and we had a decent sea breeze most of the time. It would have been prohibitively expensive to put central air in that house, 2 stories, 4000+ sq feet. Since it wasn’t our house we really had no say in what was done. Very few homes in the area we lived had AC.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sabine - I was thinking the same thing - who lives in a house without AC even if there is a nice breeze all the time?. But, I understand Charlene's point of view on older houses and how expensive it would be to convert to central AC.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We had a completely different kind of weather in CA. We didn’t have much of the oppressive humidity that areas in the Midwest, south and east get. Honestly, I don’t think I know anyone in the beach area that has central air, although many had room air conditioners. A few more miles inland, yes, AC is a necessity and most do have it. The general area we were in is known as The South Bay, well known for good weather and great beaches. Yesterday was the first time we turned the air on since we’ve been here and even then it was only for a couple hours.
                  Last edited by CharleneG; 07-28-2020, 10:51 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Charlene, do you miss living close to a beach ? We used to drive down to Corpus Christi a lot , and I just loved walking on the beach early in the morning. I always wanted to buy a condo at Mustang Island, well, I think I might as well give up that dream , unless I win the lottery

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Actually, we live very close to the ocean here, maybe closer than we did before. I can look out our front window and see Port Susan Bay, Skagit Bay, Camano Island and from a few blocks away I can see Whidbey Island, Strait of Juan de Fuca, parts of Puget Sound and the Olympic Peninsula.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lucky you , I wish we would have a view like that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          Lucky you , I wish we would have a view like that.
                          It’s one of the reasons we wanted to move up here. The scenery and the lush greenery is so pretty. The San Juan Islands are gorgeous, heavy forest right down to the waterline and the view of the islands from shore is spectacular.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X