Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 2nd Dinner Post

Good Morning!

What should have been a sunny day ended up being a rainy day from noon on yesterday and the rain continues this morning. It is a warm 82 for a high and the low of 67.

I am putting the ham I pulled yesterday into scalloped potatoes, roasted broccoli and a tomato and cucumber salad will be dinner.

What will be your Sunday dinner?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Cheese burgers, hot dogs, ramen salad, pasta salad, corn on the cob and brownies. Oh and sangria!!! I still need to finish mopping the floors, but I got the grill cleaned out and laundry done. I am so ready for a nap.

Comment

muzette: share your recipe for ramen salad???

Well, this is a bummer. It's absolutely POURING rain....the guys planned on doing a chicken wing/homemade french fries cook-out at the beach today. Altho they set up a huge tarp, and put up a projector/screen to watch hockey, I just do not see how this is going to work, non stop rain. Ugh, Hope it dies off a bit
      A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

We are now on Stage 4 restrictions... curfew between 8pm and 5am. Our state has declared a State of Disaster... The military was supporting the police force. Everything is closed with the exception of supermarkets, pharmacies and doctors' surgeries. We wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for the people who didn't believe that the Stage 2 and 3 restrictions applied to them... Thinking of shaving my hair off... easier than trying to cut it. I wish we could still buy those combs with an embedded razor. They would be perfect during a pandemic.

Today I baked an apple strudel to share with Gordon and our daily bread.

For dinner we had cold sliced pork on fresh bread and I added a smashed avocado.
        I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Chayote - I did read on the Internet and our local newspaper how severe the restrictions are in Victoria. Very difficult for everyone not being able to go anywhere, period.
          We are invited to our neighbors for dinner tonight. They are located high on a hill overlooking the Potomac River so the view should be great - just like ours. I am bringing a spinach and strawberry salad (minus the onion). I bought the red onion on Thursday and then Saturday I read that red onion is the cause of a salmonella outbreak in many states. So my onion hit the garbage - not taking a chance. I also made sausage flowers made with wonton wrappers, Pina colada dip with pineapple and vanilla wafers and ham roll up with herbed cheese and dill pickle. They were going to take us out as the wife told me to save this weekend way back in May. Who would have thought this virus is still full steam ahead? So we are staying in,

Comment

Chayote, I feel for you , we were in isolation back in March and April, not quite as servere as what you are dealing with. , but most businesses were closed , long lines at the grocery store, bare shelves , so many items at the grocery store were limited, some are still limited. I am still not able to get any clorox wipes, and no brand name toilet paper or paper towels . Hope your restrictions won't last very long.
            Vera, I like your appetizers and salad that you are fixing . I make a similar ham roll up at christmas time for my kids. Its a flour tortilla , spread some herbed cheese ( Boursin ) on the tortilla, layer a hamslice on the cheese and some sliced marinated red peppers and basil leaves in the center, roll the whole thing up and wrap it in saran wrap and put in the refrigerator for a while before slicing. So good and can be prepared the night before serving.
            Hard to believe it is August 2 and we are still dealing with outbreaks, life is still far from normal, and no end in sight.

Comment

Vera it is only red onions from California. I saw the reports and had to run and check, thankfully I got Bolthouse farm onions from Michigan. I did make pickled red onions to go with the burgers.

Mudder this is the recipe I am using; https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...p-ramen-salad/ I havent had it since I was a kid so I hope its good. Just wanted something different. We do the strawberry spinach salad a lot as well as the frito salad so I thought I would spice it up a bit today. I think this officially means I am OLD.

Comment

Muzette - Yes, I know red onions are from California but Virginia was one of the many states that received them. Since onions don't have a lot number like cans it was hard for me to know if I had one of those tainted onions. The article didn't say anything except when they were shipped out. I decided I'm not taking a chance as much as I love onions. The strawberry spinach salad has many other things in it including toasted pecans, baby cucumbers, bacon, feta cheese (called for bleu cheese but myself and the host family can't stand bleu cheese) avocado and homemade dressing.
                Last edited by Vera; 08-02-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Vera, I found this on the internet ,
                  Onionswere distributed to wholesalers, restaurants, and retail stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada.
                  and it is not just red onions, but all also white, sweet onions, red onions, , in other words all onions
                  I have a red onion in my fridge that I already used some of, and a new sweet onion, I think they are texas onions, but I am checking with my local grocery store.

Comment

Well, shoot! I just bought some onions a couple days ago and I’ve used some already. If it isn’t one damn thing it’s another. SIGHhttps://www.copykatchat.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

It’s been comfortable today, breezy with some clouds and in the 70’s. We spent most of the afternoon in the back yard,
                    m​​owing, weeding and doing some limb cutting. There’s some kind of invasive ivy up here that just gets into everything and we got a lot of that unwound, pulled and into the green barrel. Now if there was something that would get rid of all the dandelions. They are truly prolific up here!

We are having Amana Melange tonight. I’ve got a bunch of good leftovers that don’t have enough for 2 meals, so Ken will have the rest of the baked fish with tomatoes and olives, I’ll have the rest of the teriyaki pineapple meat balls, we’ll have some marinated zucchini and maybe even some refried beans. Hey, they were all good, so why not?

Comment

At least onions that come in a bag have a point of origin on the tag. Individual loose onions do not so you don't know where they came from. It was safer for me to just throw out the one red onion. I think there was some cross contamination with other onions from the red ones. Hope this is over with soon as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X