Pickle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickle Question

I had a jar of kosher dills stored on basement shelf for about a year. Just read on label that it says to 'keep refrigerated' altho it is kind of cool-ish in basement, it of course is not fridge temp. Do you think we can safely eat these pickles?
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Is it a previously unopened jar? If so, sure... I'd use it. If it's partly used I probably wouldn't unless I was starving and that's all that was available...
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

If it hasn't been opened, i.e., the seal hasn't been broken, it should be fine.

Comment

I will be the odd one out here and ask if it was kept in the coolers in the store then I would question that one. Also, know you probably already have, check the date they expire as I am a nut about that. My rule of thumb, "when in doubt, throw it out". The price is not worth making myself or anyone else sick.

This is just my opinion and everyone thinks and does different. By the way, I would have a moment of silence for the jar if I was throwing it out as those are my favorite pickles.
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

I would probably pitch it because refrigerator pickles don't use the same preservatives as canned pickles which is why they have to be kept cold.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
            I would probably pitch it because refrigerator pickles don't use the same preservatives as canned pickles which is why they have to be kept cold.
            Yes, that's what I had read. These pickles are refrigerated in the store....the jar had not been opened...the expiry date is good....DH & DS ate them and they are still alive. I did not eat the pickles
            A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Working...
            X