Amish Freezer Slaw...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amish Freezer Slaw...

Has anyone made this? I found the recipe on Pinterest and it looks like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a9/0d/49/a90d49df00e186929a5b08f9e8fc5890.jpg

I've bought cabbage and carrots and am going to try it but I wondered if anyone here has made this in the past. They say that it stays crisp but I don't understand how that can happen in it's frozen. I don't have a lot of space in my freezer thanks to apricots, rhubarb and plums so I'm wondering how long it would keep just in the fridge.

I love salads but usually settle for something easy rather than making coleslaw every night.

So... anyone know about this coleslaw recipe?
    I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

I’ve never made it but it looks interesting. Let us know if you try it.

Comment

Never made it or even heard of it. But I would think that when you defrost it that the cabbage would go limp ??? Cabbage has a lot of water . I don't know, but let us know what happens when you defrost it.

Comment

I Googled "Amish Freezer Slaw" to look at some recipes, along with reviews. Taste of Home has a "Freezer Slaw" as does Allrecipes, and Allecipes has an Amish Freezer slaw. The ratings looked fairly good; I will consider making a batch when cabbage goes on sale. Every year we freeze Cucumber Slaw. It's simply cucumber and onions with a vinegar/sugar/celery seed dressing, much like the dressing for the Amish Freezer Slaw. The cucumbers lose some of their crispness after thawing, but that's OK with us--we really enjoy it, especially with fish dinners.

Comment

Originally posted by Home buddy View Post
          Every year we freeze Cucumber Slaw. It's simply cucumber and onions with a vinegar/sugar/celery seed dressing, much like the dressing for the Amish Freezer Slaw.
          I haven't seen the Cucumber slaw, Home buddy. My Mum used to slice up cucumber and onion and douse it with brown vinegar and sugar. I loved it, especially when the cucumber went limp. I haven't thought about that salad item for years... decades even *LOL*

I did make the coleslaw but didn't put it into jars. I just made up the dressing in a smaller quantity and put it into a glass bowl. It tasted wonderful and I found a review for the recipe that said he keeps in the fridge for 5-7 days so that suits me.

The interesting things about the Amish Freezer Slaw is that I didn't think the Amish people used electricity in their homes so I doubted that they would be freezing coleslaw.
          I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

The cucumber slaw sounds good!

Comment

" The interesting things about the Amish Freezer Slaw is that I didn't think the Amish people used electricity in their homes so I doubted that they would be freezing coleslaw. "

Some Amish use generators to power things like washing machines , refrigerators. Also they are allowed to use machinery that use gas for power. Some things can be converted from electric to gas
              power. At least that's what I read on the internet.

Comment

I've posted the cucumber slaw recipe in the "Seasonal Recipes" forum.

Comment

Question about what kind of onions did you use, does the recipe specify what kind, I didn't notice.
                  sweet yellow onions, red onions, regular onions ??

Comment

Originally posted by Home buddy View Post
                    I've posted the cucumber slaw recipe in the "Seasonal Recipes" forum.
                    Thank you.

Comment

Sabine, I've always used "regular" onions (that I also call yellow onions). Cheap, "everyday" onions that I usually buy in a 3 lb. bag.

Comment

Thank you.......

Comment

Working...
                        X