thoughts about excessive packaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts about excessive packaging?

It has annoyed me for quite some time the amount of excess packaging on our foods. I purchased a packet of chocolate biscuits/cookies recently and inside the plastic pack were six individually packaged biscuits and they were sitting on a plastic tray. I buy my groceries online and it's all delivered so I don't have much choice about packaging but I was surprised that when I ordered five apples, they came in a hard plastic tube similar to how tennis balls are packaged. They could have easily been put into a green recyclable bag.

I've just bought myself a king single bed and needed to purchase new fitted sheets and a mattress protector. The arrived in a large cardboard box, the items were packaged in layers of plastic bubblewrap and that was before I even opened them. Each of the sheets were packaged in plastic and had a stiff cardboard sheet to keep the sheet from creasing. The protector had a similar cardboard sheet and was then packaged into a plastic bag that was fitted with a zip fastener... Once I unpacked everything I was left with a pile of packaging. Why? The bed linen went straight to the laundry to be washed before I used it. All that packaging so it would look pretty on a shelf in the store?

Plastic shopping bags are now banned from all of our stores. Customers are asked to take their own reusable bags or pay $1 for a bag that I have no idea what it's made of...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwSeCFicA_BJuqqngC5lZ1ZENTvdoFHKxYFLPvBHHb1VxFuhay6caldb8QvjR5&usqp=CAc

How do you feel about plastic packaging? and would you choose an unwrapped product to avoid adding to landfill?
    I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

I had purchased a package of three small flashlights. Just getting into the outer package required scissors and the plastic was difficult to cut. You needed to make sure you didn't get poked by a cut edge because it was sharp. One inside the first package, there was another package you had to break through. I have often thought, do these manufacturers ever try to get open their own packages? It is frustrating to say the least. I agree with the packaging of your sheets - nuts. Some items are over packaged due to breaking the item such as cookies. These manufacturers need to take a hard look at their products. They could even shave a few cents off the products instead of increasing their products later if they got rid of the excessive wrapping.

Comment

Cookies and Crackers need to be packaged in such a way that they don't crumble or break, who wants to have a bag of cookie crumbs. Nobody.
      So far we don't have to pay for plastic bags. My store has a recycling booth were you can return all those plastic bags and that's what I do. I don't use reusable bags, and hope I will never have to.
      When people first started to use those recyclable bags there was a big article in our paper about keeping those bags clean inside. Especially the bags that you put meat , chicken , milk in. Those items quite often leak and when you don't clean that up , you can end up with food that has germs on it, like E.coli etc. Some bags you could put in the washing machine, but some bags are not made for the washing machine and you would have to do it by hand. I guess I am way too lazy to do all that, plastic bags for me. Personally I wish the grocery stores would go back to the good old paper bags, I used those as a liner for my kitchen garbage can, worked out just fine. Now if you ask for paper bags they look at you as if you are asking for gold! LOL
      Also more items would fit into the bag. The teenagers that do the bagging put 2 /3 items in one plastic bag and that is it. So you wind up with a ton of bags for one shopping trip. I have mentioned this to the store manager and he informed me that people have complained about the bags are filled with too many items and are too heavy and sometimes break. No win situation.
      I usually get very frustrated with the packaging of batteries. And since we had to use flashlights all last week during our week from H***, also known as no power, or water for almost a week, I had to open several pkg of batteries, thankful I had them, but frustrated never less.
      I think most of the packaging is done to protect the item that is being shipped, just my opinion.

Comment

Yes, some items do have to be packaged as such to protect the product from breaking. However, some packages have to be strong, therefore hard to get into, because of thieves I guess. If it was easy then many items would magically disappear. So I can see both sides and it is the honest people who pay the price of removing the items and not getting hurt or frustrated.

Comment

Vera, isn't it always the honest people who pay the price , in one way or another ?

Comment

Things being sent through the mail need packaging when it's something that can get bruised or broken, but the sheets?, I understand the stupidity of that. I remember when all cookies were in bags, or simply in rolls....never the plastic holders they use now. I don't' even understand why laundry soap cannot be in large drums at the store and you just go fill up your own container.
            I was once talking to someone and they called America "The throw-away Capital of the World"....and they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
              Things being sent through the mail need packaging when it's something that can get bruised or broken, but the sheets?, I understand the stupidity of that. I remember when all cookies were in bags, or simply in rolls....never the plastic holders they use now. I don't' even understand why laundry soap cannot be in large drums at the store and you just go fill up your own container.
              I was once talking to someone and they called America "The throw-away Capital of the World"....and they were right.
              Allie... I think most of the world are throw-away nations. I know we can't go back to grocery stores that had tins of biscuits and the grocer put however many you wanted and weighed it. Those days are gone, however back in those days we didn't have as much going into landfill. The worst item is disposable nappies/diapers but I understand that many families just don't have the time to wash cloth nappies. I can't imagine what the world will be in say 50 years time... billions upon billions of disposable nappies being buried in the ground. With my bed linen I would have been impressed had just the sheets been put into a cardboard posting envelope without packaging and cardboard boxes.

Whereas our food items are no longer available for self-service into bags (because of COVID) there is no reason why soap powders can't be self-serve from drums. Also I wonder why bath soap is individually boxed. We use Dove soap and every cake is boxed, even when buying a multi-pack.

Just out of curiosity I'm going to pile up the packaging when I take delivery of my groceries tomorrow, just to see how much is thrown away.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The receipt of my bed linen had me thinking about how much packaging gets put into landfill because most of it is not recyclable.
              I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                I had purchased a package of three small flashlights. Just getting into the outer package required scissors and the plastic was difficult to cut. You needed to make sure you didn't get poked by a cut edge because it was sharp. One inside the first package, there was another package you had to break through. I have often thought, do these manufacturers ever try to get open their own packages? It is frustrating to say the least. I agree with the packaging of your sheets - nuts. Some items are over packaged due to breaking the item such as cookies. These manufacturers need to take a hard look at their products. They could even shave a few cents off the products instead of increasing their products later if they got rid of the excessive wrapping.
                I know the type of packaging you're talking about, Vera and I have trouble opening it without almost severing a finger or two. I read a hint on Pinterest recently that suggested a car opener can be used to open them so next time I'll try doing that.

https://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/hgtv/fullset/2017/7/27/2/Original_Emily-Fazio_How-to-Cut-Through-Plastic-Packaging_can-opener.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.suffix/1501199434044.jpeg

Comment

oh! I'm going to try the opener next time too.
                  I really do not understand the excessive packaging in a day where we all trying to get away from it ???? makes no sense
                  A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Excessive packaging drives me nuts! Some of those packages are ridiculously hard to get into and so wasteful. I generally have to use my Cutco kitchen shears to open some of them.

Comment

Charlene - thanks for the reminder on the Cutco kitchen shears. I have had one for about 8-10 years and have never used them because they are so clunky but expensive. They have been in a drawer ever since I bought them and have never seen the light of day. Now I know what to use them for.

Unfortunately, I know we all hate the excessive packaging but I think the target is against people stealing items out of packages that are too easy to open.

Comment

I love my Cutco shears! Glad I was able to help you remember them!

I do do understand why some items need protective packaging, it’s just so irritating trying to get them open. I always say that kid proof packaging needs a kid to open them!

Comment

I just looked at those scissors on Google to see what they are like. I lost interest very quickly when I saw the price!! wow!

I have Wusthof scissors in my kitchen... I like them because they come apart for washing. If I were to need a new pair of scissors I think I'd choose Victorinox brand... I love their knives and would hope their scissors were just as sharp.

Comment

The Cutco shears were expensive, but have a lifetime guarantee. I bought them several years ago from a friend selling Cutco. The video I watched about them showed them literally cutting a penny into pieces! I use mine a lot, they’re excellent. I also have a pair of Wusthoff shears that I had before the Cutco.

Comment

Working...
                            X