Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 10th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is a sunny morning with the sky a bit hazy looking. There is rain moving in later this evening with the high of 81 and the low of 52. There is a chance we could break the record high of 83 today.

I am making tuna melts, oven baked sweet potato fries and a pineapple that is smelling ripe and begging that is should be eaten.

What will be your dinner this Saturday night?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I am making cocktails for dinner!!!!!

Comment

I take it the grandkids are gone?
      Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
      He drew a circle that shut me out.
      But love and I had the wit to win,
      We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

It’s a beautiful day today but holy cats it’s cold! We had the landscape guy come out again to remeasure the front yard and we set up some dates to get it done. I had to put on my heavy hoodie and put the hood on my head, it was cold! It depends on his schedule, but it will either be the 28th-29th of this month or the 12th-13th of next month that we’ll get it done. Not much else happening.

We had thought about either going out or getting take-out, but I decided I wanted to try out a Cook’s Country recipe instead. I’m making smoked turkey, cheddar and pickled apple on multigrain bread grilled sandwiches and I made Parmesan pasta salad with some chopped salami in it to have with it.

Comment

Pickled apples ? Never heard of pickled apples. Did you make them from scratch ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
            Pickled apples ? Never heard of pickled apples. Did you make them from scratch ?
            Yes, it’s a quick pickling, curious to try it out.

Microwave 1 cup cider vinegar, cup honey, and teaspoon salt in bowl until bubbling, about 3 minutes. Stir in apple and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain apple (brine can be saved and reused up to 2 more times).

Edited to add...just tasted the apples, wow they are good!
            Last edited by CharleneG; 04-10-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Interesting, I have heard of quick pickling method for red onions

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
                Microwave 1 cup cider vinegar, cup honey, and teaspoon salt in bowl until bubbling, about 3 minutes. Stir in apple and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain apple (brine can be saved and reused up to 2 more times)!
                I'm going to make up some of this brine and try it with cucumber and red onion. My Mum used to make it and I loved it but she never passed down the recipe she used. All I knew is that it was brown vinegar, boiling water, sugar and salt but these days we have more choices with different varieties of vinegar and vegetables. Back in her day vinegars were only brown malt vinegar or white wine vinegar.

Thanks Charlene
                I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
                would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Charlene - I am assuming that is cored, peeled and chopped or sliced apples. Which apple variety is recommended? Chayote - Let us know how your brine comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                    Charlene - I am assuming that is cored, peeled and chopped or sliced apples. Which apple variety is recommended? Chayote - Let us know how your brine comes out.
                    They are cored but not peeled and cut in thin slices. The whole recipe is posted in T&T. They recommend a sweet, crisp apple. I used a Cosmic Crisp Apple.

Comment

Working...
                    X