Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 20th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is cold, dreary, overcast, raining with rain turning into snow this evening with the high of 44 and the low of 33.

I cut some of my lilacs and brought them in late yesterday afternoon as I knew with the snow that might not be good for them and I wanted the springtime smell in the house on dreary cold days. Only a few have flowered and I don't have any budding so hopefully I will get more as the weather warms up again.

I am making meatballs soup, dinner rolls, salad and baked apples. Hopefully all those good aromas will be a wonderful smelling distraction from the weather.

What will you be having this morning?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I have no clue, nothing really sounds good. I did make white bean salad.

Comment

Cool and breezy here today. My husband and I have a couple coming for dinner tonight. I made a small beef brisket, Cole Slaw, mashed potatoes, baked beans, potato rolls, an appetizer tray and a raspberry dessert bar cake I purchased from Wegmans - delicious. I also grilled this wonderful sausage and cut into one inch pieces and stuck a toothpick in it to put on the appetizer tray. Only one store sells this brand in our area and everyone wants to know what it is. We are south of Washington, DC and the Publix store, which just opened here in December, is the furthest north store in this chain, so most people haven't tried this smoked sausage. Just got it off the grill and I know our guests will ask what it is. We will have full tummies tonight!!

Comment

Sounds like a very nice dinner, I am sure your company will enjoy it. What else are you putting on the appetizer tray besides the sliced sausage ?

Comment

Hi Sabine - I don't want people filling up on appetizers so I make up a tray of pepperoni slices, usually salami too but substituted the grilled sausage this time, two types of crackers, two types of cheese plus one one soft spreadable cheese and grape clusters. People like munching on it without spoiling their dinner. Of course, a bottle of wine. Only two wine drinkers, one beer drinker so mugs are in the freezer and one soda or iced tea drinker. I have never liked wine unless it is a Moscato (sweeter). My son has a walk in wine vault that stays cool at 57 degrees and he always offers me a glass of wine knowing I will say "no thank you".

Comment

We have so many wineries in our area and I am not a huge fan of it. Ice wines are big here as well, but to me they taste like cough syrup. We do have one winery that makes fruit wine from the actual fruit and not just extracts. The cranberry wine is amazing, its sweet and goes great with Sunday dinner, they also ship if your looking for a gift for your son that he might not normally purchase. I also like the cherry wine and the blueberry is amazing as well. Blueberry wine is a funny thing to though, its not sweet but more spicy like cloves. I bought 2 cases of the cranberry to give out to all the office girls at the title company and the waste management office girls. Having worked in an office forever I remember we had a customer who would bring us wine for Christmas and just that little though really made us go out of our way to take care of him. We have a closing tomorrow so I am taking the fancy doughnuts for the girls. I know my husband is one of those annoying customers because he likes to talk so god bless them

Comment

Virginia also has many wineries. My son likes a dry red wine and he probably has 150 bottles chilled in the walk in wine vault. Instead of a blower constantly blowing cool air, there is a long needle that goes down through the cork, into a bottle on its side attached with a cord attached to the chiller so the room & wine stays a constant temperature. The cranberry wine sounds very interesting - it would remind me of Christmas. Sounds like I would like it. What is the name of the winery? I would take a beer over wine any day. If we go to a nice restaurant I always order a mixed drink so I don't feel I need to waste any wine on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                Hi Sabine - I don't want people filling up on appetizers so I make up a tray of pepperoni slices, usually salami too but substituted the grilled sausage this time, two types of crackers, two types of cheese plus one one soft spreadable cheese and grape clusters. People like munching on it without spoiling their dinner. Of course, a bottle of wine. Only two wine drinkers, one beer drinker so mugs are in the freezer and one soda or iced tea drinker. I have never liked wine unless it is a Moscato (sweeter). My son has a walk in wine vault that stays cool at 57 degrees and he always offers me a glass of wine knowing I will say "no thank you".
                Sounds delicious. My daughter and I always overdue on appetizers. We have to learn to scale back. At Christmas time ( 2019 , before covid ) we decided not to have a Christmas dinner , instead we had only appetizers, heavy appetizers as my granddaughter calls them. Of course this being Texas we did have pork tamales , and queso ( cheese dip ) of course a cheese platter, crackers, nuts, stuffed mushrooms and stuffed jalapenos, and so much more. Nobody went hungry or missed the traditional Christmas food.
                For family gatherings we always have a selection of wine , red and wine. Different brands of beer. Of course soda, ice tea and water for those who don't care for alcohol.
                This year ( if we get together ) we are talking making charcuterie trays for appetizers, not sure if I spelled that correctly. Lets hope we can get together , the whole family, not just 10 people or so. we shall see.
                Last edited by Sabine; 04-20-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Ok, I tried to post a response to Vera's post, and for some strange reason it needs to be approved by a moderator. So I will just delete it for now.

Comment

I kind of wish I liked wine, but I really don’t. I do cook with it frequently, but I buy those cute little 4 packs for my cooking. I did taste a pineapple wine at a winery I went to with some high school friends some years ago and it was very tasty. I guess I’ll stick to being a teatotaler.

It’s another beautiful day today. We are so loving it up here. I had a doctor’s appointment this morning in Marysville this morning and had a fasting blood test while I was there. The doctor got a kick out of the tee shirt I was wearing. It says 75% of my brain capacity is wasted on song lyrics, one of my favorites. He signed the paper work so that I could get handicap placards for WA as my CA one is about to expire. I took the paperwork to the Department of Licensing and picked up the new ones that are good for 5 years.

We are going to have more of the Ranchero “bean stuff” tonight along with some fruit.

Comment

Working...
                    X