When you were young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you were young

What was your first thought of what you wanted to be when you grew up?
    I wanted to be a gypsy and dance around fires with bracelets up and down my arms.

I wanted to be a cowgirl. I even got the outfit for Christmas. I got the horse when I was a teenager and worked on a ranch for a few years after high school.

suecowgirl.JPG

Comment

There used to be an old show on TV, Private Secretary, starring Ann Sothern, that I loved. I wanted to be a secretary, took all the classes in school but wound up working in defense electronics most of my working life. Closest I ever came to it was working in customer service for a few years.

Comment

I wanted to be a music teacher but I believed my mother when she told me that I couldn't do that unless I passed French. I failed French and gave up after two years and assumed that I couldn't be a music teacher.

My next idea was to work in the funeral industry. I had been to a funeral when I was 12 and sat mesmerised watching the undertakers as they made sure everything was happening according to plan. I was passionate about doing that work. My school teachers recommended that my mother take me to see a child psychiatrist. In that first appointment the psychiatrist told me I wouldn't like working with dead people and that I should choose something else, like be a teacher. I remember telling him that I couldn't be a teacher because I failed French.

To this day I wish I had been an undertaker. Moral of the story: be whatever you want to be but never tell anyone about your plans.
        I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

I like your interesting story, Chayote. I wanted to be an elevator operator. When I'd go shopping with my mother (a rare and real treat) a couple of the department stores had ladies with white gloves and uniforms manning the elevators. I thought it was so cool that they had the pleasure of riding up and down all day, taking shoppers to their requested floors. After college, I worked for an advertising agency until having kids, followed several years later by two sensory panel jobs: one for tasting, and the other for testing hair and deodorant products. I've been working part time at the local library for almost twelve years now and really like it but am getting the pressure from hubby to retire.

Comment

OMG Hayburner I just love that photo!

I always wanted to be a ballerina. Then I decided I wanted to be a telephone operator...my Mom and Dad worked at Bell Canada, they were engineers, but I always thought that Mom was an operator, so I wanted to follow in her steps. When I got older I was leaning towards gong to nursing school. That didn't happen
            A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Originally posted by Hayburner View Post
              I wanted to be a cowgirl. I even got the outfit for Christmas. I got the horse when I was a teenager and worked on a ranch for a few years after high school.
              Love your photo, Hayburner. Your story reminded me of my slightly younger cousin. He desperately wanted to be Superman and his mother asked my mother if she would make him a Superman costume, which she did. He received it on Christmas day and quickly stripped off his pjs and into the Superman suit. Then... he jumped off the first floor balcony... He wasn't badly hurt but my mother never made another Superman costume.

I'm not sure why they didn't foresee this accident happening...
              I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

I wanted to be a stewardess. Flight attendants were called stewardesses many years ago. Back then they didn't have male flight attendance like we have now. Anyway , back in those years , you had to be a certain height and weigh a certain weight and you could not wear glasses, those were the requirements back then. I spoke French and English besides German of course but I was nearsighted and had to wear glasses. So there went my dream of being a flight attendant and traveling the world. Then I decided I wanted to teach ballroom dancing, which I did for one year in the evening during my high school years and I loved it. But my parents didn't think much of that plan and I wound up going to business school and went to work for a law office before I got married.
                Later on in life , when my kids were grown, I went to work for our local school district as a library assistant and I loved it.

Comment

I had a head injury as a child so I just do not remember much. I thought of showing dogs, even went to Wesminster one year. I ended up getting married and having kids so the necessary traveling didnt work out. Now that I am retired at 46, I keep thinking of going back to school, the problem is I have no clue what I want to do. I know I never want to work for someone else and have a 9 to 5. I also keep thinking a doughnut or pizza shop would be fun, but once it becomes a job I am not sure how fun that would be. I think writing romance novels would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                    I had a head injury as a child so I just do not remember much.
                    I must have missed the end of this thread. If it's not too personal, how did your head injury happen? If it *is* too personal, I'm sorry for asking and don't expect an answer.

Comment

I dont remember what happened. It was in 5th grade and I fell off the school stage and got knocked clean out. I was in the hospital for a few weeks with amnesia and echolalia. I know they removed the stage after that.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                        I dont remember what happened. It was in 5th grade and I fell off the school stage and got knocked clean out. I was in the hospital for a few weeks with amnesia and echolalia. I know they removed the stage after that.
                        Oh wow... I bet that caused a drama at the time. I'm sorry you went through that, even though you don't remember it. My son had echolalia for about two years when he was in primary school. It was part of his autism. It drove us stark, raving mad at the time but we knew he couldn't help it. The part of the brain that causes echolalia is right next to what causes autism.

Thank you for telling us about it. You were blessed that it wasn't a permanent brain injury...

Comment

Working...
                        X