My Dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dryer

My washer and dryer are from 1997 and have worked flawlessly until last week. We have a propane dryer and when I turned it on, it just didn't sound right. I told my husband that perhaps it was the belt that turns the drum. I called the repairman and he took my dryer drum out and ran the dryer so he could see what the motor was doing. Well, it wasn't the belt but the motor. It still turns the drum but I am not going to have it repaired. I have been waiting for those Maytag appliances to give up the ghost. They owe me nothing. I am finally going to get my Speed Queen washer and dryer. I know three people who have them and absolutely adore them (can you adore a washer and dryer - lol)? I didn't want a front loader, too many complaints but a top loader that still has an agitator. I have yet to know anyone who has clothes that get worn out by the agitator. The front loaders are beautiful machines so it is a personal choice for me to buy another top loader. I have to check with the appliance store on when I can schedule delivery.

I also have a top loader washing machine. Sears Kenmore, 15 + years old, had a kenmore dryer that bit the dust a couple of years ago. My daughter and daughter in law both had front loader washing machines for several years, but were not happy with the machines and both have now top loaders again.
    I don't know anybody who has Speed Queen machines, are they expensive ??

Comment

Sabine - If you have ever been to a laundromat, they usually have Speed Queens because they make the commercial machines. For residential use, there are a few models to choose from. I always go to the top and never buy bottom end but that's me. Also, so many top loaders have gotten rid of the agitator and my friend had one only two years old and she said she felt her clothes didn't get clean and she would wash them a second time. She now has the Speed Queen too. I am waiting for my cost from the appliance store to remove my old machines, deliver and install new Speed Queens (we have propane appliances). Mine will have the digital readout but lower end ones are probably more mechanical. The reviews are very favorable and mine will get a 7 year warranty (Model TR7 and DR7) but some are 3 yr and 5 yr depending on which model you choose. The MSRP on mine for EACH is $1349. When you think about the years of service these appliances give you, that is very reasonable. I am waiting now for my estimate to come in as most companies don't sell at MSRP. It would be like buying a car at sticker price - who does that?

Comment

That is not a bad price at all. If I remember correctly I paid about $ 800 or so for my new dryer, it's a general electric appliance, its fine, does the job. Bought it at Lowes, they didn't charge for taking the old appliance away, at least they didn't at that time.
        I looked up Speed Queen online and yes, very few models to choose from. But they are made in the USA ,and that is important to me. Certainly will keep that in mind when the time comes for a new washer / dryer.

Comment

Well here goes- I have a SQ and wish I could trade it in. Its only 3 years old and this is what I don't like about it
          In order to add more clothes after the machine starts you need to press the safety button and wait and wait for it to unlock
          Next is - can't add something to the machine just to spin dry. Like sweaters that have been hand washed. Or sometimes
          I just want to spin so it removes more dampness. Can't do
          Clothes get twisted cause it doesn't have the full agitator
          Once you're in wash cycle you're stuck in it. No way to drain the tub or go to another cycle
          I wish I knew this before hand.
          Just check out what's important to you. JMO
          Maybe these things have changed thru the years
          Give me my old machine back

t

Comment

I had to buy a new dryer last week. I had a pipe freeze and blow out. Fortunately my washer survived but the dryer was toast.

Comment

I bought a SQ about 2 years ago. So far, I like it a lot. It's quiet. The "buzzer" that tells me the wash is finished is a high pitched sound. I can hear that anywhere in the house and it's not that loud. I really wanted a washer with manual controls, but with out local Sears closing, Kenmore was out of the question. Whirlpool, I had issues with the little screen on the inside always plugging up. We have hard water. I just decided to go to an American made machine. Mine has a spin only option and I like that. I have an option for extra rinse. You have to make sure the bottom right corner of the lid is always in the close position or it cannot lock and it tries and tries to lock before it will do anything else.
              I haven't had an issue with adding things once it's started and locked. It has a pause button, unlocks and then I can add something and it will lock again. The only drawback that I've found is that it doesn't have a way to soak the clothes first....and my cat keeps turning the washer on. The little "on" button isn't really a button. You just lightly touch it. Oh, and mice can get in there pretty easily. My machine is in my garage and I found a dead one in there that died of thirst because I didn't' wash clothes for about a week and I didn't know it was in there, and a few lives ones. The tub must not be sealed. And, you are not supposed to move them without putting this plastic thing in the machine around the agitator and also on the bottom. I'm not sure what kind of bracing the machine has since you have to do that, but it sits solidly on the floor.

Comment

Mellon - I did read your concerns and I also read online that there were issues two or three years back but the machines got a redesign. I looked at the panel online and saw there was a pause button. I haven't physically looked at the machine yet. I am heading out today to take a look. Thank you for your review because it gives one something to think about. There have been plenty of complaints of the new HE machines not filling up completely because the machines senses how many clothes are inside and fills only to a certain point. I guess nothing is perfect. I think I will also look at the Miele if the showroom has them on the floor. Also, the picture I saw online does show a full sized agitator. Thank you for everyone's comments. It is helpful.

Comment

Just did a look-see at Miele washers and they seem to be front loading, so that is out. Back to Speed Queen.

Comment

Vera- The man that installed my washer said to always use the
                    large water setting.
                    A repair man told me to stay away from HQ Not sure why
                    Good luck in your shopping

Comment

Mellon - I think you meant to say HE (high efficiency?). I have heard the same thing. The Speed Queen doesn't have that designation. Hoping to leaving shortly to go to a showroom 40 minutes away. I always use the large water setting as I do full loads, not partial. Thanks for the info, Mellon.

Comment

On second thought - I may buy one of those wringer washers and a clothes line - lol. Who would have thought something so simple as a washer and dryer could be so complicated??

Comment

It seems that everything these days has become complicated, no matter what.

Comment

I have an LG washer and dryer. My washer has no agitator but it really does a good job so there are no complaints there. You cannot stop mid cycle, cannot just do a spin, most of the same issues mellon mentioned. I will say that the cycles are really, really long, A basic wash with fabric softener takes 1:34. I have to say I am rather happy with the washer because it does get things really clean. The LG dryer is a POS. I hate it. It has sensors to tell you when the clothing is dry and it just does not feel dry. You turn it back on and it shuts off because it senses dry. I will say Speed Queen is on the list for my next set of laundry machines and I have been watching for a sale. Hubs knows to be on the lookout as well. The problem is we have been purchasing them to put in the houses we sell, so I tend to get what we have in storage. I never complain about things because hubs does work hard and tries his best to get me what I want, but I do complain about this dryer all the freaking time. I know with mine you can set up the app on your phone to start them remotely, but I have no desire to use that stuff, although I do use it for my roomba and litter box.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                              Just did a look-see at Miele washers and they seem to be front loading, so that is out. Back to Speed Queen.
                              Sorry I didn't see your dryer thread before now. I'm sure you will love your Speed Queen appliances. The local laundromat has some of those washing machines and I've used them. They certainly take a big load. The only time I go to the laundromat is if I'm washing the doonas off our beds because they are too large for my washing machine.

I'm still using my Mum's washing machine and I ♥♥♥LOVE♥♥♥ it, not because it's any different to other old machines but because it belonged to my Mum. It's now over 35 years old and still going strong. In the last ten years that Mum lived in her house she only used it for one load once a week. I will most likely not take it to our next home because I will have a laundry room with a folding bench and the washing machine will need to fit under the bench with the dryer next to it. I will buy Miele because I will already have a Miele dishwasher and oven in the kitchen.
                              I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Working...
                              X