• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proteins

Its been all over our radio & t v stations there is going to be
    a chicken(wing) and other protein shortages. Its a warning that
    prices will increase.
    Reason being - no one wants to work

people not wanting to work ( which unfortunately is true ) would not be a reason for the shortage. I am surprised Covid is not being blamed for it, Covid seems to be blamed for just about everything these days, shortages , higher prices, you name it and just put the word Covid with it.

Comment

We had a similar issue with a fresh fruit shortage. Because workers could not be brought from the islands near Australia and backpackers (COVID), the orchardists were not able to find enough people to pick the fruit and pack it. A lot of good food was bulldozed back into the ground. My niece did fruit picking at one stage when she was younger and she said it's really hard work and doesn't pay very much. She would pick fruit until her hands were bleeding. She gave it up when she was pregnant with her third baby.
      I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
      would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

It's all mind games. They put out reports that there is a shortage on something and people flock to the stores to stock up. Then, big business knows that people will pay more for it, so they up the prices. The lessons learned during the COVID onset. There are a lot of different proteins to choose from, including plant proteins.
        Does everyone here know that they send chickens to Mexico, and other countries, to process those chickens? Countries where there are not restrictions or health codes, cleanliness, or decent pay? Think about that for a minute the next time you cook a chicken.

Comment

Around the Super Bowl you couldn’t find wings at the store weeks before. A couple stores said they wouldn’t be around for months. There they were a week after the SB!

Comment

I don't buy chicken wings, but I see them at my grocery store all the time. I see them fresh and already prepared. No shortage here in SA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              I don't buy chicken wings, but I see them at my grocery store all the time. I see them fresh and already prepared. No shortage here in SA.
              You don’t like wings?

Comment

No, not particular , it's ok if someone else prepares them for me I have never made chicken wings myself .

Comment

Originally posted by mellon View Post
                  prices will increase.
                  Why would anybody want to work ? People are getting stimulus checks, unemployment checks ( seemingly forever ) food stamps and money to help with their rent , if they are not already living in a subsidized apartment. Heck, they bring in more money then when they were working. Doing are absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    No, not particular , it's ok if someone else prepares them for me I have never made chicken wings myself .
                    I see. We make the, many ways. Grilled, smoked, air fryer…

Comment

Originally posted by mellon View Post
                      prices will increase.
                      Deleted, sorry double post
                      Last edited by Sabine; 05-05-2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the double post , I will delete one. if I can

Comment

Sabine=No problem
                          I live in chicken wing town so its a warning to those
                          who go out for wings. Ticket shock They are extremely popular at
                          football season Before and after any game that is played anywhere in the USA
                          LOL

Comment

Mellon, chicken wings are very popular here in Texas also , especially at football season , just not popular with me or my immediate family .
                            Everything has gone up in price, I was around town this pm , and I noticed that regular gasoline has gone up again , it was down to $ 2.31 , now back up to 2.49.
                            Potting soil at Walmart, 10 pounds $ 15.00 , same 10 pounds at my grocery store $ 2.50 , go figure ....... and Covid is such a good excuse.

Comment

We had some meat shortages about this time last year but haven’t seen any so far this year. What I have noticed is the prices are going way up on beef. We buy a lot of ground beef, tri-tip, boneless chicken thighs and chuck roast at Costco and I buy pork loins at Grocery Outlet. They have really good pork and I cut the loins into nice boneless pork chops. I like wings a lot but Ken doesn’t care for them so I don’t buy them. If I want them I’ll order takeout.

Comment

Working...
                              X