Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May 5th Dinner Post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • May 5th Dinner Post

    Good Morning!

    It is overcast and will be that way till later today with a chance of rain. The high of 53 and the low of 38. I am thinking as crazy as the weather is lately I would not be surprised if it snowed again.

    A sheet pan meal of chicken, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, onions and garlic will be dinner. DGS made a peanut butter pie last night so he will have that also.

    What will be your dinner this evening?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

  • #2
    I pulled the pin on packing this afternoon. I’ve done enough for the time being. What I’ve done so far will fill the back of the car for our trip to Adelaide on Friday afternoon. We can’t wait to see Andrew and Hannah. We will be with them on Saturday afternoon our time.

    John and his mate went to poker tonight so I only needed to feed myself. I had some crumbed prawns and chips followed by icecream.
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

    Comment


    • #3
      Good morning! I need to go through plastic totes in my office today and I also need to run some errands. I don't have a clue what dinner will be today.

      Comment


      • #4
        We get our 2nd shots tonight so hopefully we can travel this summer. I am feeling Bob Evans biscuits and gravy for dinner. I love their deep dish chicken and noodle bowl but it makes my feet swell up so bad the next day.

        Comment


        • #5
          May 5, Cinco de Mayo , here in Texas and other Hispanic communities

          Celebration of the Mexican victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862
          So that calls for Mexican food, or we could go out for dinner, Fajita dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant sound good, and of course a Margarita.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sabine View Post
            May 5, Cinco de Mayo , here in Texas and other Hispanic communities
            Enjoy your Mexican food, Sabine. I really tried to eat Mexican food on all of my visits to Texas... truth is I hated all of it...
            I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
            would become a National policy, but here we are...

            Comment


            • #7
              I LOVE Mexican food but I am a real snob when it comes to salsa. There isn't one jarred salsa from the grocery store that is worth anything straight out of the jar with chips. I've tried most brands and they are mediocre at best. If I need salsa for chips, I stop by a Mexican restaurant as theirs is more flavorful than you can get from a jar.

              We are having the other half of the small quiche Lorraine I made yesterday along with biscuits and creamed peas and mushrooms. A cobbler for dessert (from the grocery store).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chayote View Post

                Enjoy your Mexican food, Sabine. I really tried to eat Mexican food on all of my visits to Texas... truth is I hated all of it...
                When my brother and sister in law came to visit , many years ago, we took them to our riverwalk ,lots of mexican restaurants there. And we found out that neither one liked the food, so we didn't do that again. LOL The only mexican food I don't like are tamales, everything else I love .
                Of course the " mexican " food here in south texas is actually tex-mex food, what you get in the interior of Mexico is very different , or so I have been told. I have never been into the interior of Mexico, only the border towns and they are nothing to brag about.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                  May 5, Cinco de Mayo , here in Texas and other Hispanic communities

                  Celebration of the Mexican victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862
                  So that calls for Mexican food, or we could go out for dinner, Fajita dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant sound good, and of course a Margarita.
                  I’ve been prepping all day. Tradition to make a ton and eat for days. Works for me. Then again, I could eat Mexican every single day.


                  Jalapeņo poppers
                  Shredded seasoned chicken in the crockpot
                  Ground beef taco meat in the crockpot
                  Restaurant style rice (new)
                  Pintos in the pressure cooker
                  Taco sauce
                  Mexican slaw
                  Margarita Cheesecake Bars (new)
                  Sangria

                  All is done but the poppers, rice and dessert. I’m still working on it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jalapeno poppers are a favorite appetizer for my family. So easy to make. I usually prepare them the day before , put in fridge , and then heat just before the party begins

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      Jalapeno poppers are a favorite appetizer for my family. So easy to make. I usually prepare them the day before , put in fridge , and then heat just before the party begins
                      I normally get some prepped the day before but had no time yesterday. I make my poppers ahead too. So easy just to pop in the oven or grill. YUMMY!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bean, how do you fix yours? I buy the jalapenos, slice them , take all the seeds out and membranes also. I know you don't have to , but I do.
                        Stuff with cream cheese or boursin cheese and wrap with thin sliced bacon and heat until bacon is crisp.
                        I noticed that my grocery store sells them already prepped, but I really prefer to make my own. I also want to try to make mine with a mixture of cooked fresh chorizo mixed with cream cheese. I love chorizo. I usually order chorizo / bean breakfast tacos when we go out to breakfast at our favorite mexican restaurant.
                        On that same note, that is the same mixture I use to make stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sabine, I have probably 10 different poppers recipes. The one you describe is the kind I make most often. I use cream cheese, shredded cheddar, dash chili powder, dash garlic powder. I like the precooked bacon, they bake faster and get real crisp.

                          Our stores started selling the, prepped too. No, I’ll make my own thank you every much. LOL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I made poppers once stuffed with a mix of cream cheese and grated cheddar. You cook a box of stove top stuffing and roll it into torpedo shapes and press it on top of the stuffed pepper and bake the whole thing. Pretty tasty! My favorite Mexican food are sopes and tortas. The bodegas all have restaurants attached that mainly cater to the local Spanish population. They all make the central Mexico type of food so when you think carnitas like you see in magazines, they are not like that at all. They are more like big chunks that are fall apart soft with layers of skin on the top. I have to say they sell amazing cuts of meat that you wont find at most grocery stores. I do make osso buco quite often because beef shanks are dirt cheap at the bodega. I have no clue what they use them for in Mexican cooking though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                              I made poppers once stuffed with a mix of cream cheese and grated cheddar. You cook a box of stove top stuffing and roll it into torpedo shapes and press it on top of the stuffed pepper and bake the whole thing. Pretty tasty! My favorite Mexican food are sopes and tortas. The bodegas all have restaurants attached that mainly cater to the local Spanish population. They all make the central Mexico type of food so when you think carnitas like you see in magazines, they are not like that at all. They are more like big chunks that are fall apart soft with layers of skin on the top. I have to say they sell amazing cuts of meat that you wont find at most grocery stores. I do make osso buco quite often because beef shanks are dirt cheap at the bodega. I have no clue what they use them for in Mexican cooking though.
                              I’ve made one like that. Another using stuffing. Both were good. Love Sopes and tortas, haven’t made either in a long time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X