Cheese sandwich question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese sandwich question

Has anyone ever made grated cheddar cheese sandwich filling before? There is a lady that often makes sandwiches at our legion gatherings - she won't share her recipe- says its a secret. It is very, very good, and everyone always eats up her platter of sandwiches first. So, I googled recipes, and tried a sample today, it seems waaaay too salty. So, was wondering if maybe I cut in some cream cheese, it may help with saltiness? I just did grated old cheddar/mayo and a bit of minced white onion.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

MudderBear... I don't know how much this will help you but when I was a child I loved Vegemite and grated cheese sandwiches. To stop the cheese from falling out she mixed some soft butter through the grated cheese and it turned into a spread which sounds like what you are asking for. I remember once that she ran out of butter or it was too hard from being in the fridge and she added thickened cream instead.

Good luck with the recipe.
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

I don't fix grilled cheese sandwiches very often. I have always used sliced cheese, but I noticed on TV cooking show quite often they use grated cheese. If yours came out too salty it may have been the cheese you used ?? Try a milder cheese like a fontina or a mild cheddar. I have seen recipes that includes fresh fruit on the cheese or sliced tomatoes .

Comment

I dislike when people won't share a recipe. Maybe she doesn't want you to know how easy it is. Probably someone shared with her and now she is claiming it is a family secret. Too many great recipes have been lost because of selfish people like your Legion lady.

I, too, have only had sliced cheese on grilled cheese sandwiches. I agree with Sabine that it is probably the type of cheese you are using. I'm just thinking, what about a pimento spread cheese? Perhaps the salt content isn't as high. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
          I dislike when people won't share a recipe.
          When John and I first started seeing each other his mother made the "family secret dip" and wouldn't tell me the recipe until we'd been married about ten years. My eldest daughter was in primary school by then and as a fundraiser they printed a recipe book with all the recipes that were submitted by the parents. Little did I know that my submission called "Goodman family secret dip" would be featured on the front page. I very kindly sent my mother-in-law a copy of the recipe book for Christmas that year. I think that's when she stopped all communication with me... *LOL* God rest her soul.
          I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
          would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Originally posted by MudderBear View Post
            Has anyone ever made grated cheddar cheese sandwich filling before? There is a lady that often makes sandwiches at our legion gatherings - she won't share her recipe- says its a secret. It is very, very good, and everyone always eats up her platter of sandwiches first. So, I googled recipes, and tried a sample today, it seems waaaay too salty. So, was wondering if maybe I cut in some cream cheese, it may help with saltiness? I just did grated old cheddar/mayo and a bit of minced white onion.
            Are you talking about Pimento Cheese sandwiches?

Comment

Do you grill pimento cheese sandwiches ?? I never have, I like pimento cheese, sandwich or on crackers. But nobody else in my family likes it so I never make it anymore.
              I just wanted to add that you can also use Mayo on grilled cheese instead of butter.
              Last edited by Sabine; 05-05-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                I dislike when people won't share a recipe. Maybe she doesn't want you to know how easy it is. Probably someone shared with her and now she is claiming it is a family secret. Too many great recipes have been lost because of selfish people like your Legion lady.

I, too, have only had sliced cheese on grilled cheese sandwiches. I agree with Sabine that it is probably the type of cheese you are using. I'm just thinking, what about a pimento spread cheese? Perhaps the salt content isn't as high. Good luck.
                I have to agree with Vera, this lady just wants her sandwiches to be the " hit " of the party. She wants to be admired for her perfect sandwiches. Personally I don't cook much, but have no problems with sharing my recipes.

Comment

They sound like tea sandwiches. I’ve made the pimento kind. Do you think there is pimentos in them Mudder?

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

When John and I first started seeing each other his mother made the "family secret dip" and wouldn't tell me the recipe until we'd been married about ten years. My eldest daughter was in primary school by then and as a fundraiser they printed a recipe book with all the recipes that were submitted by the parents. Little did I know that my submission called "Goodman family secret dip" would be featured on the front page. I very kindly sent my mother-in-law a copy of the recipe book for Christmas that year. I think that's when she stopped all communication with me... *LOL* God rest her soul.
                    I think we need that recipe Chay! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                      They sound like tea sandwiches. I’ve made the pimento kind. Do you think there is pimentos in them Mudder?
                      I think Tea sandwiches would be a good idea for Mudderbear to make for the next Legion get together.
                      Chicken salad , tuna salad, pimento , cucumber sandwiches, make a big platter , blow that lady's head off . OK, just kidding.
                      grilled cheese sandwiches would be hard to keep warm ??

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post

I think Tea sandwiches would be a good idea for Mudderbear to make for the next Legion get together.
                        Chicken salad , tuna salad, pimento , cucumber sandwiches, make a big platter , blow that lady's head off . OK, just kidding.
                        grilled cheese sandwiches would be hard to keep warm ??
                        We’re the ones Mudder talked about grilled?

Comment

A good sandwich for a leigon function would be a pizza burger, its one of those long forgotten recipes that men seem to love. Whenever we buy a house that is full of stuff I always start out by looking for cookbooks. I got a fantastic church one the other day that has some casseroles that sound amazing that I had never heard of before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                            Do you grill pimento cheese sandwiches ?? I never have, I like pimento cheese, sandwich or on crackers. But nobody else in my family likes it so I never make it anymore.
                            I just wanted to add that you can also use Mayo on grilled cheese instead of butter.
                            am I missing something? Where did MudderBear say grilled? I just see grated

Comment

Vera mentioned pimento cheese, and I was just wondering if she was referring to grilling a pimento cheese sandwich ??

Comment

Working...
                              X