Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• may 21st Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is starting off with a hazy sky again and will be another hot day along with high humidity. The high will be 88 and the low of 68 which makes me feel for those that work outside and makes me so grateful for my AC.

I am putting out sub fixings and DGS and I will each make our own with what we want. I also will fix a bowl of my favorite summer food and that will be delicious fresh fruit that is in season.

What will be your dinner?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

We spent the entire day packing Lego models. Some we pulled apart and packed them into ziploc bags and others were wrapped in bubble wrap. When this move is over I *NEVER* want to see another piece of bubble wrap! Based on the four boxes we packed today, we'll need another four or five boxes to finish the Lego.

Cold day today... didn't leave the house, in fact I think the front door is still locked from last night.

Dinner was random selections from the freezer... John had a burger and I had mustard chicken (thermomix recipe) over rice with salad.
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post
      When this move is over I *NEVER* want to see another piece of bubble wrap.
      I lost count of how many rolls of bubble wrap we had to buy when we moved! If I never see another piece of that stuff I’ll be thrilled. Fortunately, we got most of our cardboard boxes for free through the Next Door neighborhood app.

Comment

When I remodeled my house after my husband died I bought tons of bubble wrap for china, crystal, etc. We used tons of plastic totes to store items in.

Time to decide on dinner now.

Comment

It’s been a very pretty day here today, really just perfect. We did a Walmart and gas run this morning, picked up a medium sized rolling ice chest for doing Costco and Trader Joe’s trips. We had given away all the ice chests we had when we moved. I think we’ll just leave this one in the car. We came home and sat out on the front porch for awhile. We have a nice padded bench on it and it’s a nice place to sit.

I’m making cheese enchiladas in green sauce, refried beans with cheese and a small salad.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
            If I never see another piece of that stuff I’ll be thrilled.
            What is annoying me the most is the sticky tape pulling on my fingers and after a full day of using it, my fingertips are red raw. Can't use barrier cream because it stops the tape from sticking to the bubblewrap and boxes... can't use latex gloves because the tape instantly sticks to them and won't come off.

Once I get our two main living areas... family room and lounge room... done, we can have a break for a while.

Bubblewrap isn't recyclable so we will be adding to landfill at the end of the move...

Comment

Originally posted by MommaBear View Post
              When I remodeled my house after my husband died I bought tons of bubble wrap for china, crystal, etc. We used tons of plastic totes to store items in.

Time to decide on dinner now.
              I was beginning to think I was the only human left who loves crystal... I'm glad you have some, MommaBear. I've wrapped most of my crystal... maybe two more boxes to go. All my Swarovski figurines will just be packed back into their original boxes. I have a lot of Wedgwood bone china still to pack and I'll cut down on the bubblewrap by using paper plates between the dinner plates, bread and butter plates and saucers.

The removalist we will be using told me that most removal companies won't move items packed in plastic crates/totes because they often break and leave items scattered in the truck. They will move the crates but only if they are stacked and empty, which I will do with my mega-millions of plastic storage containers. So I have to take out the items stored in plastic crates, reload the items into cardboard cartons and then repack them when we arrive at our new home. Joy!

Comment

I’m making cheese enchiladas in green sauce, refried beans with cheese and a small salad.
                What makes the sauce green, Charlene? I'm thinking avocado, pureed peas, green peppers... don't know what else?

Comment

When I moved the last time, the moving company told me that anything I packed myself would not be covered under their insurance. Now that is several years ago , like almost 20 years ago. It was not a military move , so it was a move that we had to pay for ourselves. But it made me realize that anything that would break and we packed ourselves would be on us. Just a thought for those who pack themselves and have the moving company ship their boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

What makes the sauce green, Charlene? I'm thinking avocado, pureed peas, green peppers... don't know what else?
                    It’s actually a canned enchilada sauce that usually has mild green chile peppers, cilantro and tomatillos in it, all green. We like it much better than the red enchilada sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      When I moved the last time, the moving company told me that anything I packed myself would not be covered under their insurance. Now that is several years ago , like almost 20 years ago. It was not a military move , so it was a move that we had to pay for ourselves. But it made me realize that anything that would break and we packed ourselves would be on us. Just a thought for those who pack themselves and have the moving company ship their boxes.
                      G'day, Sabine... We are going with a company that doesn't do packing so we have to pack ourselves. I haven't investigated insurance yet because it's a while before we will actually move. I'll check with our insurance company that we've been with for about 16 years and they have insured our goods under a contents policy. Either insured or not insured, it still has to be transported. The crystal and china is mostly family pieces that, although I could possibly find replacements, it wouldn't feel the same. Whenever I hold crystal items owned by my parents, I imagine Mum opening the gift after their wedding. I'm not sending anything special like that with a removalist. Tonight I'm packing books... I don't have many but what I have are kinda heavy. They will go with the removalist.

Comment

It’s actually a canned enchilada sauce that usually has mild green chile peppers, cilantro and tomatillos in it, all green. We like it much better than the red enchilada sauce.
                        sounds hot! Is there any Mexican food that doesn't try to burn your taste buds off?

Comment

Mild chili peppers and tomatillos are not bad, but cilantro can be hot. Personally I don't use it in recipes , don't like it.

Comment

I adore cilantro. It is one of those ingredients that doesn't seem to have a middle ground - you love it or hate it.

Comment

You can get enchilada sauces in various degrees of heat, but the ones I use are mild. Ken doesn’t do hot spicy food at all, although I’ve been known to sneak a little bit in dishes I make. The green chiles are mild and have an interesting flavor to them and tomatillos are mild as well. We love cilantro, it’s gives food a nice herbal flavor, but it’s also very polarizing. Like Vera said, no middle ground, you love it or hate it. There is a genetic component in why some people say it tastes like soap and others love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X