Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 31st Dinner Post

Good Morning!

The sun is shinning, no rain in the forecast along with the high of 74 and the low of 53. A perfect day for Memorial Day and a day of remembering those that have given their lives for our freedom and those who are currently serving and preserving that freedom.

I have never seen DGS eat so many salads and put the lettuce from the garden on sandwiches the way he is. He said that he cannot believe how good it is and how the flavor is so different then that from the store. I have made a believer out of him that the effort put into having produce homegrown is worth it without even trying or saying a word. The garden beds for me are good as far as rabbits and other little critters that love nibbling on the food growing and keeps weeds a low volume. The best part is that my back is very grateful for the height and ease of harvesting the food.

Dinner tonight will be a garden salad, porkchops, baked sweet potatoes, cornbread and watermelon.

What will you be having this Memorial Day?

Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I am not sure what dinner will be this evening. I have the ingredients to make red beans and rice so I may do that. Cooking for one is not much fun.

my new washer was just delivered and I think I will do a load of laundry from my weekend trip.

Comment

I put a pork butt on the smoker this morning, so we will be having pulled pork tonight. I steamed a bunch of potatoes in the instant pot and will cut them into disks, coat in olive oil and ranch seasoning and air fry them.

Comment

I managed to do some housework today while sitting on my walker. I'm anxious to get my scan results to find out why my knee is so bad.

Our one week lockdown for COVID is going to be extended but we haven't learned yet how long it will be. I knew it would be longer than a week. I'm guessing that it will be closer to four weeks but we'll see. I was almost ready to do several eBay listings but I'll wait until we are off this lockdown. Never know what else I'll find to sell during that time...

Groceries are coming tomorrow so I'll clean out the fridge before I go to bed.

Dinner tonight was battered whiting with mashed potato and sweet potato combined and peas.
        I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Originally posted by MommaBear View Post
          Cooking for one is not much fun.
          I have a very dear friend here in Melbourne who says the same thing. Most nights she doesn't cook at all... she'll just have some sliced ham on toast or a sandwich. I introduced her to the soup sold in pouches and they were a winner for her. We used to meet up for lunch in Melbourne occasionally before COVID
          I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Cooking for one is a total waste. When I was single for a few years, I was working, and cooking was the last thing that I wanted to do after I got home from work. Usually I just picked something up on my way home.
            But to be honest, cooking for two is not that great either. We don't like leftovers , and so I don't cook casseroles and stuff like that. Who wants to eat the same thing day after day, it is still the same food, even if you call it morphing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              Who wants to eat the same thing day after day, it is still the same food, even if you call it morphing.
              We feel the same way but I do make meals in the slow cooker. Once we've had two meals from it, I either freeze individual servings or give the leftovers to Tiff. I gave her our leftover sausages and vegetables and she was delighted that all she needed to cook was mashed potatoes. Leftovers can be very ordinary after a while.

Comment

Well I am making pulled pork, today it will have bbq on it, later this week it will be some carnitas, then some chili. I also freeze some for later. They get turned into completely different things. Its not like I can just make a little smoked pork, plus the whole pork butt was 9 bucks for 9 lbs so its less expensive than a bbq shop where they charge 7 bucks a lb.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                  Well I am making pulled pork, today it will have bbq on it, later this week it will be some carnitas, then some chili. I also freeze some for later. They get turned into completely different things. Its not like I can just make a little smoked pork, plus the whole pork butt was 9 bucks for 9 lbs so its less expensive than a bbq shop where they charge 7 bucks a lb.
                  Thats why I will not buy a big pork butt or any other kind of roast.

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

We feel the same way but I do make meals in the slow cooker. Once we've had two meals from it, I either freeze individual servings or give the leftovers to Tiff. I gave her our leftover sausages and vegetables and she was delighted that all she needed to cook was mashed potatoes. Leftovers can be very ordinary after a while.
                    I have also found out that what I put into the freezer , doesn't always come back out in a timely manner. And who wants food that is freezer burnt. Yes, I know its a personal problem. I told my daughter a long time ago that if I win the big lottery I will hire a personal chef to do the cooking ( no leftovers !) I guess I better start buying lottery tickets

Comment

When I make recipes, it’s usually 4 servings. We have it the first night and then we’ll wait a couple of days before we have it again. We actually like leftovers a lot here. If I do make larger amounts than 4 servings I only reheat what we will eat for the leftover meals. I frequently vacuum seal and freeze leftovers to have later. I don’t try to make them into something else very often at all.

Comment

I think to vacuum seal the food is the way to go, especially if you have a deep freeze and freeze a lot of food. My daughter lives on a ranch and she just recently invested in a vacuum seal machine ( or whatever it is called ) , she doesn't go to the store very often and freezes a lot of the meat. They also raise long horn cattle and get beef that way, so for her to have a free standing freezer and a vacuum sealer is the thing to have. I live barely 5 minutes away from my local grocery store and a Costco store , I can go anytime I want or need to. Even during covid lockdown, I just did curbside pick up.

Comment

Sabine, my sister says the same thing. Cooking for 1 she will stop and pick up a salad for herself. Or if she makes a larger meal, it’s to take over to our Mom. I used to cook all the time for myself when Scott was away for work. When we moved I was too tired and a sandwich hit the spot. If he starts up travel for work again, I’m sticking to easy. Sandwich or a burrito from the freezer. LOL

Charlene, I try and do similar. We love leftovers and sometimes I do not want to cook.

I’m trying to clean out the freezer of those large “cooks” we make. I really only see doing that with the stuff we really love anymore. I’m happy the freezers are going way down and I’m not adding!

Comment

Sabine, I use the FoodSaver all the time. We buy meat in the Springs, so it’s not around the corner. That is nice to have the meat we will eat in the freezer.

Comment

It is convenient for sure. That's if you remember to take the frozen food out of the freezer

Comment

Working...
                              X