CharleneG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CharleneG

Several times you make reference to Penzey spices. Most recently Fox Point. What flavor does it add? There is one Penzey store in Northern Virginia and I may try to get to it when I am in the area. What are the 'must haves' from the Penzey store and what do you use it in? Thanks for any info. You have my interest.

I call Fox Point the gateway drug to a Penzeys addiction! It’s a wonderful blend that’s so good on so many things. It’s a but on the high priced side but it’s worth it in my opinion. The nice thing about Penzeys is you can get their products in various sizes if you’re not sure about them. I always buy the big jars of it. Here’s the catalog description:

One of our very best blends, so good on all the foods we are supposed to be eating more of, from fish to vegetables. Bursting with the rich flavor of shallots and chives. Use 1 tsp. per pound to season baked chicken and scrambled eggs. For tasty dip use 2 tsp. of Fox Point in 1 cup sour cream or yogurt. The dip makes an outstanding topping for baked potatoes too, or make a quick chicken or tuna salad by mixing 3 cups of cooked chicken or tuna chunks with 1 cup of Fox Point dip. Because we do not use any anti-caking agents in this (or any other) blend, it tends to clump somewhat. To keep it free-flowing, store in the refrigerator.

Hand-mixed from: salt, freeze-dried shallots, chives, garlic, onion and green peppercorns.

Another “must have” for me is Ruth Ann’s Muskego Avenue Chicken and Fish Seasoning. I keep a jar on the dining room table and buy it in bags so I can refill the jar. It’s similar to Lemon Pepper but has garlic and onion in it. I use it a lot. Here’s the catalog description:

Sprinkle on chicken and fish, 1-2 tsp. per pound--pork chops too! Awesome on broccoli, asparagus and green beans, plain salads, breakfast eggs and potatoes.

Hand-mixed from: salt, black pepper, garlic, lemon peel and onion.

I also use many of their other products, French Thyme, it’s the closest to fresh thyme I’ve ever found, Cumin, Oregano, Basil, whole Nutmeg that I fresh grate when I use it, Smoked Paprika, Granulated Garlic Powder, Granulated Shallot Powder and don’t let me forget Air Dried Shallots! They are so handy when I don’t have fresh shallots in the house, reconstitute them and use them as you would fresh.

I’ve used mail order for Penzeys for over 20 years as there were no stores close to me for many years. There was one 6 miles from us in CA and I was there a lot. The stores are so nice, they have jars that you can actually open and sniff the product, although with COVID restrictions, maybe not at this time. The closest store to us now is about 35 miles in Lynnwood WA, but I haven’t been to it yet and it’s still only open for pick up orders. If you sign up for their emails on their website you get special offers on products and recipes.

Yes, I’m a Penzeys addict!

Comment

Thank you Charlene for all your good information. I will make it a point to go to their store in Northern Virginia and I will buy Fox Point (price doesn't scare me). I am in NoVa about 2 times a month but the store is a bit out of my way. Thank you too for the descriptions of some of the spices. I am not a Lemon Pepper fan as I never make fish at home. My husband always orders salmon if we go out and it is on the menu. That is about as fishy as we get. Although I really like tuna fish salad from the Italian Gourmet in Vienna, VA (a deli). Some spices puzzle me like Bay Leaves - I have purchased dried and fresh and the taste escapes me - not sure what it adds. Another spice is paprika - I have found smoked and regular paprika but some recipes call for sweet paprika - what in the heck is that - I have never seen it. I guess it exists.

I did look up the Penzey's store in Falls Church, VA and they are open to come into the store. So that is a plus. I will be in NoVa tomorrow for our second grandson's kindergarten graduation but not sure I can make the extra miles work as it will be a busy day. But you can be sure this is on my agenda. Helpful as usual Charlene. Thank you.

Comment

I use Ruth Ann’s on just about everything, probably the only thing I haven’t used it on is fish. It’s great on steamed vegetables, in chicken salad, in soups, it’s pretty much an all purpose seasoning. The stores and online carry small sample packages for low prices.

I think Sweet Paprika is like regular paprika you can get just about anywhere. They also carry hot paprika and I don’t buy that, just not a big fan of super spicy things like red pepper flakes and cayenne. If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of cayenne I usually put in 1/8th teaspoon. Smoked paprika is very good.

I recommend checking out their website,
        www.penzeys.com for complete descriptions of all the ingredients in their blends and recipes to go along with them.

Comment

Hi there! I didn’t see Tellicherry Peppercorns on your must haves Charlene. That is my favorite thing they sell.

Sadly our Penzeys in the Springs closed during Covid. We have a fantastic spice store we shop downtown Co. Spgs. It’s always an excuse to head down there and get lunch as well.

Comment

I do use those too Bean, along with a lot of others, I just listed a few favorites. I have an obscene amount of spices and herbs from there, sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever use all of them!

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
              I do use those too Bean, along with a lot of others, I just listed a few favorites. I have an obscene amount of spices and herbs from there, sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever use all of them!
              Me as well. But as I run out, I get from the new place. It offers specials, points and we get a lot of free spices. I love the program. I know you love to cook as much as I do.

Comment

I love the Fox point, the have a no salt version as well. I always buy their cardamom and horseradish powder. I love cardamom and add it to all my baking. I have bought the wedding crate several times, it makes a great gift for someone who loves to cook.

Comment

My kids like Fox Point on scrambled eggs and added to grilled cheese sandwiches. I love it sprinkled on baked potatoes and vegetables. They have several different cinnamons. The Vietnamese is my favorite, it’s strong and sweet and a little goes a long way. If they are allowing sniffing the jars of spices definitely smell all the cinnamons, they are all unique.

Comment

Baked potatoes with butter, sour cream and Fox Point is nothing short of pure Heaven!

Comment

Working...
                    X