Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 10th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is hazy this morning and still so humid with the high of 83 and the low of 68. More rain is predicted today and when the sun comes back out the humidity rises more. The rain is short in duration but heavy with strong winds.

I am not sure what DGS will make for his dinner as I am still not on solid ground.

What will you be having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I have ingredients for meatloaf and salad so that is looking like dinner this evening. Right now I need my coffee and half of a bagel.

Comment

That sounds like a nice meal Momma Bear.
      Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
      He drew a circle that shut me out.
      But love and I had the wit to win,
      We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Making kabobs today, no clue what to go with but I will figure something out.

Comment

It’s been cool and cloudy today, got a few sprinkles when I went to pick up some prescriptions but it didn’t last. Not much going on at all, we’re supposed to get our quarterly yard treatment for bugs, spiders, fleas and ticks this afternoon. We haven’t seen a single flea or tick on Abby since we’ve been here.

We’regoing To have the rest of the cube steak and rice casserole, a bag of apple and cheddar green salad and some watermelon.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
            a bag of apple and cheddar green salad
            Charlene... this sounds like a ready-to-eat salad sold in a bag at a supermarket... is that right? I'm trying to think of different salads other than just lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber. I love apples and cheese so this might be something I would enjoy. What is in the bag and what kind of dressing do you use?
            I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
            would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Yes it is one of the salad in a bag packages and this one was very good. It was some mixed greens, made by Fresh Express, leafy and red lettuce and I think spinach and it had packets of cheddar cheese, chopped apple and chopped walnuts in it. It came with a really nice apple vinaigrette dressing. We really liked it a lot. I also get Dole’s Ultimate Caesar salad kits; romaine lettuce, delicious Caesar dressing, a packet of mixed herbs, a packet of Shaved Parmesan and a packet of croutons. I usually add either chicken, smoked salmon or shrimp to this one to make a salad as dinner. Our big favorite is another one by Fresh Express, Pear Gorgonzola. It’s baby greens (we call it weed salad), a really nice pear and Gorgonzola vinaigrette dressing, and a packet of candied pecans and diced and dried candied pear.

I really find these handy to use, by the time I buy and chop and mix all the ingredients to make an interesting salad on my own I don’t actually want it and I wind up with produce going bad on me. This works for us and gives us some nice variety. There are so many good ones to choose from now!

Comment

I have to agree with Charlene on the bagged salad mixes. I only buy the Dole's salad mixes, either romaine mix or Caesar mix. It's so easy to add things to it to make a bit different or to change dressings. i like to make my own oil / vinegar dressing and I like to add sliced cherry tomatoes.
                The only thing about the bagged salads is that once you open them , they just don't keep. Maybe one day and that is it, after that they sort of smell, at least that has been my experience with bagged salad. So I have to plan carefully, which is not always my strong point.

Comment

You’re right Sabine, they can get funky fast. I try to buy them the day I want to use them, buying more than that can lead to them going off. We can use up a bag between us and have a really nice salad along with a smaller main dish. I do find the Dole salads are bigger, Fresh Express is usually just right for two.

Comment

I have to look for fresh express at my store, I have never seen that brand. I have opened one bag tonight, we will have some for dinner tomorrow, I may have some for lunch tomorrow and that will be it, if there is leftover I have to dump it. There is no morphing that leftover salad.

Comment

Fresh Express seems to be in the stores associated with Safeway more often than not. I used to buy it at Vons and Albertsons in CA, and I’ve found it at Safeway and Haggen here. I’m sure other stores carry them too but I haven’t really looked for them. . If you can find them, the Pear Gorgonzola is outstanding.

Comment

The only bagged salads that we have are coleslaw and various green vegetables that are bagged individually like iceberg lettuce, baby spinach and there's a rainbow salad which I don't often buy because the colours all blend in together resulting in an ugly, unappetising mess.

https://i.imgur.com/fCr7DX5.jpg

They also sell a bag of stir-fry vegetables which I've bought a couple of times. I'm sure that there are delicatessens that sell mixed salads but I only buy groceries from Woolworths (formerly known as Safeway) and Aldi for certain items.

I agree that bagged salads don't last very long so I don't buy them often. I do like the coleslaw that I've been making using an Amish recipe and that keeps well in the fridge for about five days.
                        I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
                        would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Working...
                        X