Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 16th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

Another torrential rain last evening with high wind, thunder and lightening. More are expected today with a flood watch till tomorrow. I don't remember every having so many storms and this amount of rain on such a consistent level. The high will be 80 with the low of 70 so at least it will not be as hot today.

Ham, blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs and pineapple will be dinner this Friday evening.

What will you be having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

We are eating very late tonight as we've been working on tidying up our guest room. The bed is now in pieces and leaning up against the wall. We now have a space to store the packed boxes.

Our dinner consists of a meat pie and some potato wedges cooked in the airfryer.

It's our first day of this lockdown and already our leaders are suggesting that it will need to be extended. Whatever it takes to keep us safe is fine by me.
    I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

https://www.copykatchat.com/forum/re...rice-casserole is dinner tonight...
      have a great weekend
      www.perfectlyposh/510sigpic

Comment

Getting the MIL moved today so I get to help unpack, lucky me. I really do not feel like moving today at all, I may need another coffee to get in gear. I am sure we will pick something up on the way home.

Comment

I was in Northern Virginia yesterday for my hair appointment. I picked up some Chinese food and I love Hot and Sour soup and Wonton soup. My favorite local Chinese restaurant closed a couple months ago due to the slow business and pandemic. Their soup and egg foo young were great. Now I am trying all the Chinese restaurants in my local area plus close by ones in Northern Virginia. None of them so far has both the soups and egg foo young as good as the one that closed. One thing that I've noticed so far is that none of the new Chinese restaurants have the good crunchies for the soup. The ones I love are made out of wonton wrappers and deep fried. All the ones I have tried so far have the junk noodles like you can get at the grocery store. They must be cheaper. The search continues. Guess what we are having for dinner - pork egg foo young and fried rice. Didn't get the egg rolls as hubby never has room for one in addition to the main dish so I skipped it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
            All the ones I have tried so far have the junk noodles like you can get at the grocery store. They must be cheaper.
            g'day, Vera... I hope you find a restaurant equal or even better than the one you lost. Your old restaurant chef most likely made his own noodles from scratch. It makes such a difference. I love Chinese food that we buy here, but no person living in China would even recognise it. I recently watched a documentary on Chinese food in general and it was explained that there are five distinct areas in China each having very different cuisine.

If John buys me a Chinese meal from our local restaurant it's always sweet and sour pork with special fried rice. From a food court I usually buy Singapore Noodles and ask for some sweet and sour sauce to be drizzled over the top.

I hope you enjoy your egg foo young...
            I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Our local Chinese restaurant closed some time ago ( before covid ) and we miss it. I loved the " crunchies " fried wonton wrappers and the spring rolls. Wonton soup , so good.
              We hoped that another Chinese restaurant would open there, but no such luck. A Grome sewing machine store went in. Not sure how long they are going to stay there, parking lot is always empty, not much
              business.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                I was in Northern Virginia yesterday for my hair appointment. I picked up some Chinese food and I love Hot and Sour soup and Wonton soup. My favorite local Chinese restaurant closed a couple months ago due to the slow business and pandemic. Their soup and egg foo young were great. Now I am trying all the Chinese restaurants in my local area plus close by ones in Northern Virginia. None of them so far has both the soups and egg foo young as good as the one that closed. One thing that I've noticed so far is that none of the new Chinese restaurants have the good crunchies for the soup. The ones I love are made out of wonton wrappers and deep fried. All the ones I have tried so far have the junk noodles like you can get at the grocery store. They must be cheaper. The search continues. Guess what we are having for dinner - pork egg foo young and fried rice. Didn't get the egg rolls as hubby never has room for one in addition to the main dish so I skipped it.
                Vera, it sounds like you’re looking for fried wonton strips, they add a nice crunch to all kinds of salads and soups. There is a restaurant (Feast From the East) near where I worked in West Los Angeles that has a “to die for” Chinese chicken salad with the most amazing dressing and fried wonton strips. They started distributing both to some markets, then local Costco stores started carrying the dressing too. I just checked Amazon and they carry both the wonton strips and the dressing. I’ve used both, they are identical to what’s in the restaurant.

Comment

I have my Granddaughter today and we went out for lunch. I seriously doubt I will fix much this evening. Maybe a BLT.

Comment

Charlene and Sabine - Yes, it is wonton strips but made from the wrappers. The commercial wonton strips I have seen are uniform in shape and size. What the current restaurants where I have gotten the soup are including these kind of thick uniform strips not at all like frying the wonton wrappers. So my pursuit continues...... I will check out Amazon but I doubt our local Costco would carry what the LA restaurant made. Sounds more local. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Vera, have you ever tried a quick deep fry of thin Asian rice noodles? They puff up and crisp nicely, that might be an acceptable substitute.

It’s been a wonderful cool day today, maybe 70 at the highest. We got the new 8x10 Ruggable onto the pad and got the one we had into the washing machine and dryer. We’ll get that one into the guest room over the weekend. Ken is working in the garage crimping coolant hoses to go on the new cooling system on the streetrod. It’s getting closer to being done every day!

I put a corned beef brisket in the Crock Pot last night and cooked it on low all night and it’s been sitting in the fridge soaking up its juice all day. I’m going to chop it up and make the Cook’s Country Creamed Chipped Beef on Grands buttermilk biscuits for dinner. I’ve often said that recipe is the main reason I cook corned beef! We’ll have some fruit with it.

Comment

Charlene - No, I haven't ever used the Asian rice noodles. I have seen them on TV where they go poof. I also have never had an Asian salad. I don't believe I have ever seen it on a restaurant menu but perhaps I overlooked it. You are an adventuresome cook.

Comment

Vera, they’re really easy! They’re fantastic on Chinese chicken salad and as topping for soups etc. I’ll see if I can find a good recipe for one that’s similar to Feast From The East.

Comment

Working...
                          X