Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 22nd Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is hazy with the high of 78 and the low of 60 with plenty of sunshine.

Dinner will be sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits, home fries and fruit.

What will you be having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Your dinner sounds good. I have a luncheon to attend today so dinner will be light. I may do a salad for dinner this evening .

Comment

I'm starting to put cold dishes together ahead of time as I have about 18 people coming to my house to welcome our new neighbors from across the street. They moved in earlier this summer but everyone has been busy so this was the first free weekend where I could get the most people. Just finished making homemade tiramisu, one of the desserts. Hopefully, we can sit down at the gazebo as it seats 18 people.

I think dinner will be leftovers out of the fridge as I will be too tired to cook much of anything. Tomorrow will be a repeat with putting dishes together and Saturday will be set up with tablecloths, decorations, coolers etc. Praying we don't get rain otherwise we will have to head to the party room. Three different weather websites have different conclusions - very frustrating.

Comment

I hope some of your other neighbors are helping you with food preparations, Vera. 18 people are a lot of people to feed. Hopefully no rain . Hope you will have a successful party.

Comment

Good luck with the weather, Vera... I hope your new neighbours are friendly and appreciate the effort you're putting in.

Today I reduced the number of knitting pattern I had down by half. Firstly I weeded out the crochet patterns because I'll never use them. I'm not a fan of crocheted baby clothes, preferring the look of knitting. Next I took out any patterns that I was never going to use. Now I just have the patterns that I like and will probably use again and my Grandmother's patterns which are mostly 100+ years old.

Tomorrow I'll do the same with my sewing patterns. I'll keep any that I'm likely to use and I'll keep my Mum's patterns.

For dinner tonight: John had a repeat of last night, i.e. a homecooked burger. I had a fresh bread roll with chicken, avocado, tomato and onion.

I'm having supper now... an airfried pizza roll and a hot milk shake.
          I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
          would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Chayote - What is a hot milk shake?? I hope it doesn't have ice cream in it - lol. Our new neighbors are SO nice that it is a pleasure to do this for them. Their two children are out of the house and married. They moved from North Carolina to Virginia. Usually it is the other way around - move from Virginia to North Carolina. However, one of their children only lives about 40 minutes away in Virginia and the main reason they moved here. We were lucky they chose our neighborhood. They wanted waterfront but that is scarce so they settled for water view.

Sabine - I did have two neighbors that volunteered to bring a small dessert. When I invite people to my house and I am hostess, I prefer to make most everything myself. That is how I have always been. One time a friend asked what she could bring for Thanksgiving dinner - I said she could bring the turkey - lol. It is OK for guests to bring a little something if they volunteered. I did buy five racks of ribs already smoked from a local BBQ place and 5 pounds of chopped pork so at least I don't have to do that. I am making about 5 appetizers, side dishes including curry chicken salad in lettuce cups and of course an outdoor party needs hotdogs - natural casing only, not the skinless type and three homemade desserts. I have to say my grocery/food bill was out of sight but I didn't entertain at all last year and I won't be cooking next week at all so there you go - lazy days ahead.

Comment

It’s another pretty day today, I’ve just been doing a few things around the house. I’m looking at things I haven’t used since we’ve been here and thinking it’s time for them to go find a new home. I was going to do the thrift store run today but I think I’ll wait until Saturday.

We’re having breakfast for dinner tonight. Corned beef SOS on biscuits and fried eggs and tomato juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                Chayote - What is a hot milk shake?? I hope it doesn't have ice cream in it - lol.
                No... no icecream. It's made like a normal milkshake but only with hot milk and powdered chocolate. It seems to help me sleep.

Comment

Vera your menu sounds great, I know that your guests will enjoy the food and your company.
                  I have to agree with you , skinless hot dogs are nasty, not much of an hot dog eater, but I also prefer natural casings.
                  It is so nice when you have good neighbors that you get along with, we have 2 neighbors that I wish they would go back where they came from, one is from Washington State and the other one just came in from California , together with his oversized boat and motorhome . He was surprised when he found out that he couldn't park it in his drive way or the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    Vera your menu sounds great, I know that your guests will enjoy the food and your company.
                    I have to agree with you , skinless hot dogs are nasty, not much of an hot dog eater, but I also prefer natural casings.
                    It is so nice when you have good neighbors that you get along with, we have 2 neighbors that I wish they would go back where they came from, one is from Washington State and the other one just came in from California , together with his oversized boat and motorhome . He was surprised when he found out that he couldn't park it in his drive way or the street.
                    I got into the habit of buying skinless frankfurts for when we want hot dogs. I always bought them when my girls were young so they didn't choke on the skins and I've seen Andrew eating the skinless cocktail franks, colloquially known as "little boys". We had them for every birthday party and I didn't know until I was in high school that they weren't really called little boys... *LOL* I've just put in my online grocery order and there's 500gm of skinless franks that we will have one night for dinner.

Sabine... would you like to throw a few of our neighbours into the mix? We have more than our share of dodgy neighbours here.

Comment

Working...
                    X