My Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mom

I got a call from my sister yesterday telling me that my mom was taken to the hospital and the doctor didn't think she was going to make it. She was having kidney failure, or they weren't working right. She is doing better today so things are looking up. I think my blood pressure went up a little bit every time the phone rang yesterday. Of course, this has to happen during the COVID uptick and she spent all day in the ER because they didn't have a bed for her. She's finally in a room. She just needs to drink a lot more fluids but the ladies at the rest home cannot get her to drink more than a few sips at a time. My sister is goign to ask the doctor if they can put a tube into her stomach to get fluid into her that was. She wouldn't leave an IV in if they tried that.

I am sorry reading about your mother Allie. I hope a solution is reached that will help her. I know this is very stressful so please take care of yourself also. Prayers will be sent for your mom and family.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Hope this makes a big turn around.
      Sending prayers

Comment

I hope she gets better and can keep out of the hospital.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom AllieK. Is she located far from where you live ? Dehydration is a big problem and can effect all the organs.

Comment

I’m sorry to hear about your Mom. Praying for her. Please keep us updated.

Comment

Dehydration is a huge problem for elderly people and I wish you and your family well. Hoping for a big improvement soon.
              I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
              would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                I am so sorry to hear about your Mom AllieK. Is she located far from where you live ? Dehydration is a big problem and can effect all the organs.
                No, she lives in a home about 13 miles from me and is in the hospital in the next town over

Comment

Are visitors allowed in the hospital at this time?

Comment

I’m so sorry to hear this and hope she improves quickly. Dehydration is a huge problem and trying to get them to drink the necessary fluids is hard when they just don’t want to do it.

Comment

Usually an IV can help with dehydration, but if the person doesn't tolerate having an IV, then I just don't know what can be done ?? Not sure if feeding tube is the answer , plus inserting a feeding tube in the stomach is major surgery. My neighbor , who had ALS, in the end she had to be fed via feeding tube in the stomach and it wasn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        Usually an IV can help with dehydration, but if the person doesn't tolerate having an IV, then I just don't know what can be done ?? Not sure if feeding tube is the answer , plus inserting a feeding tube in the stomach is major surgery. My neighbor , who had ALS, in the end she had to be fed via feeding tube in the stomach and it wasn't easy.
                        My sister said it's not large, like a feeding tube and could be kept under wraps from her wondering hands. A few years ago, she was in the hospital on another matter and she kept pulling the IV's out. she cannot stand things there, that she doesn't believe are supposed to be there.

Comment

Hopefully it will work out for your mother
                          sad situation
                          just wanted to add that I hope you will be allowed to visit her.
                          Last edited by Sabine; 08-16-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to go visit her. I'm not totally vaccinated yet. I have one more vaccine to go on the 24th and then 2 weeks after that. My sister is fully vaccinated and they wouldn't let her go in becasue she works in the same rest home my mom lives in and she is taking care of the COVID patients, so they wouldn't let her go in. I know they are taking good care of her and doubt she knows who comes in or out anyway. She has severe dementia and doesn't know who I am most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X