Onions for onion rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions for onion rings?

I have made homemade onion rings twice recently and they just have no flavor. I’m trying to make thin onion rings that we used to get at a restaurant we liked. Is there a type of onion that tastes best for onion rings? I tried a yellow onion and a sweet onion and neither had any flavor when cooked. Any ideas?

You may already do this but if not, then maybe putting seasoning in the batter or crumbs you are coating the onions with. You can use whatever herb or spice you like and even mix 2 or 3 different ones together for a bolder flavor.

I am thinking pouring buttermilk over the onion rings, let them soak for a couple of minutes hold up and let drain somewhat and then put them into a seasoned crumb mixture would be one way and the buttermilk will add a nice flavor. Use buttermilk in the batter would also give a nice flavor with other herbs and or spices in it along with the rest of the ingredients.

Maybe google and see what other ideas might pop up.

Good luck.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Have you ever eaten at Sonic? My daughter loves those onion rings. I don't like onions,k so never tried them. I know there are copycat recipes on the web for those

Comment

I use Vidalia onions, but I also cut them very thick. This is the last time I made them. I imagine your going to have a tough time with thin ones getting the flavor unless you spice up the batter with additional onion powder.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          I have made homemade onion rings twice recently and they just have no flavor. I’m trying to make thin onion rings that we used to get at a restaurant we liked. Is there a type of onion that tastes best for onion rings? I tried a yellow onion and a sweet onion and neither had any flavor when cooked. Any ideas?
          I was watching a cooking show about making onion rings a couple of weeks ago and one thing I remembered was you need to remove that slippery membrane that is between each layer. I can't remember why but they seemed to give it some importance. They also cut the onion slices about an inch thick. I find most onion rings lack taste, even ones bought from Hungry Jacks which is your Burger King. I always dip them into Catalina dressing because that's the one I love, but you could use any. I've heard that you can use powdered soup mix instead of flour before the egg and breadcrumbs and that gives more flavour.
          I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
          would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
            I use Vidalia onions, but I also cut them very thick. This is the last time I made them. I imagine your going to have a tough time with thin ones getting the flavor unless you spice up the batter with additional onion powder.
            They look great, muzette. That's very much like what the TV chef cooked.

Comment

I love onion rings, but I have never actually made them myself. We have a burger restaurant ( Chester's ) and they have great onion rings, taste so good. I dip them in ranch dressing , so good. We have a sonic drive in up the street, but I have never tried their onion rings.

Comment

I, too, love onion rings. Not a lot of places can pull off great rings. Once you find a good onion ring, I always order them. I like them better than fries.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                  I, too, love onion rings. Not a lot of places can pull off great rings. Once you find a good onion ring, I always order them. I like them better than fries.
                  That makes two of us Veral

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    I love onion rings, but I have never actually made them myself. We have a burger restaurant ( Chester's ) and they have great onion rings, taste so good. I dip them in ranch dressing , so good. We have a sonic drive in up the street, but I have never tried their onion rings.
                    Sonic supposedly uses melted vanilla ice cream ( or the dry ice cream mix) instead of milk to get the flour/cornmeal to stick. I guess that would make them sweeter than most

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post

Sonic supposedly uses melted vanilla ice cream ( or the dry ice cream mix) instead of milk to get the flour/cornmeal to stick. I guess that would make them sweeter than most
                      I didn't even know there was such a thing as dry ice cream mix ? Who knew ? Yes, I lead a very sheltered life when it comes to food and recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        Peabs introduced me to Sonic when I stayed with her in Huntsville, TX. I ♥LOVED♥ the icy watermelon drink they had. I'd happily trade my right leg for a Sonic where I live just for that drink.

Comment

I guess I will try cutting them a little thicker and see if it helps. We really liked the thin ones but I can’t get them right. I have used seasoning in the batter/breading but the onion flavor just wasn’t there. I will also try onion powder for seasoning, I never would have thought of that. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                          X