Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 17th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is a sunny morning with the humidity increasing as the day moves forward. The high will be 83 and the low of 62. There is a slight chance of rain.

I will be solo and will have toast with peanut butter and a dish of applesauce.

What will you be having tonight?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Didn't enjoy today... had a lot of paperwork to complete. It's almost done now and we can soon get back to our COVID-normal.

Managed to get some knitting done for Hannah. The three jackets that I made for her arrived at her home so hopefully they will be in use soon. Also in that package was the green blanket for Andrew's teacher's new baby. She had her baby about a week ago... a little boy which gives her three sons. Funny... when we planned our children I used to dream about having three little boys so I could refer to them as "my three sons"... Anyone born after the 70's wouldn't understand.

Dinner tonight: John had the remaining crumbed pork wrapped in bread. I made a salad. I needed to make the Catalina dressing first and even though I've been making it for about 15 years, it is the best batch I've ever made. I'll definitely be making it in the Thermomix from now on. My salad consisted of cos lettuce, cucumber, snow peas, celery, raw mushrooms and hot streaky bacon. It was very good:

https://i.imgur.com/4Jy6hPR.jpg
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Chayote - I'll take some of that salad! Looks better than what you get in a restaurant! You keep mentioning this Catalina salad dressing. Is it different from the bottled type meaning same flavor but you may use better ingredients? We use a salad dressing that is being produced from a restaurant in Pennsylvania for grocery distribution. I think it is available in some East Coast states. It is called Gazebo Room (we use the regular) Greek dressing and marinade. My husband says that is the only dressing I need to buy him. We don't like the 'light' version and then I think there is a balsamic vinegar version but haven't tried that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
        Chayote - You keep mentioning this Catalina salad dressing. Is it different from the bottled type meaning same flavor but you may use better ingredients?
        We don't have Catalina dressing in Australia. Well, we used to have it under the name of Rice Salad dressing but it didn't last long. I loved it. I had it again as Catalina dressing during my first visit to the States and I went home with three bottles in my suitcase. It didn't last long and I knew I needed to find a recipe for it. It's such an easy recipe and tastes exactly like what I remembered. I probably do use better quality ingredients than in the factory-made variety. I'm not sure why it was so much better this time although I did process it for longer because after I made it, the sugar wasn't yet dissolved so I let it sit for 30 minutes and then processed it again. It's certainly not a "lite" dressing. It has a cup of sugar and a cup of oil among other things but it makes 750ml of dressing. I used to give some to Gordon... he really liked it.

I love salads. I have them every second night for dinner and I just go through the fridge and get out anything that can go in a salad. I no longer make meals that we will both eat. If I did I'd be eating pork most nights...
        I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
        would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

I remember that tv show, my 3 sons, a good show, I liked it and watched it. Blast from the past.
          Your salad looks so good Chayote, makes me want to have a salad for lunch. Personally I don't care for Catalina dressing, too sweet for my taste. I love Ranch dressing or just a plain oil / vinegar dressing.

Comment

I love Catalina dressing but never buy it because it will shoot hubs blood sugar through the roof and I cant keep him out of it.

It has been a really long day. Got my hair done and then had eleventy billion errands to run, I am ready for a nap.

Making hot dogs and carrot fries in the air fryer. Never had carrot fries before but it seems quick enough to give it a go. I also have some watermelon for after.

Comment

And just like that, summer is over! We’ve had rain and a lot of wind and chilly temperatures today, low to mid 50’s. Ken turned on the gas fireplace when he got up and we both put on our flannel shirts for the day. It’s likely going to be more of the same tomorrow. We don’t mind, we need the rain. We will probably have high winds tonight too. Otherwise it’s kind of a lazy day.

I’m going to heat up the other 2 smothered cube steaks and we’ll have garlic mashed potatoes (good ol’ Idahoan brand...so tasty!) and some watermelon.

Comment

Working...
              X