Chayote - Are You OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chayote - Are You OK?

Just read that there was a strong earthquake in your area? Did you feel it and are you and John OK?

Originally posted by Vera View Post
    Just read that there was a strong earthquake in your area? Did you feel it and are you and John OK?
    We definitely felt it, Vera... I woke up thinking that I was having a seizure... There were four quakes and a number of aftershocks but we mainly felt the first one. There was some damage but not to our home. As if the recent surge of COVID positive cases and thousands of crazy protesters in Melbourne tying up most of our Police force wasn't enough, let's just throw in an earthquake or two... or four.
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Glad you and John are not hurt and your house has no damage. Earthquake is the last thing you need after having to deal with covid and lockdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        Glad you and John are not hurt and your house has no damage. Earthquake is the last thing you need after having to deal with covid and lockdowns.
        You forgot the crazy protesters who invaded our War Memorial for four hours proclaiming that they are heroes just like our diggers from WW1 and WW2. Their actions today made every Victorian sick to their stomachs... Today was like living in a very bad B movie on steroids. They are protesting because they think they are too precious to get vaccinated.

Suffice to say my day began with fear and ended with anger. BUT... tomorrow is another day, right?

Comment

I’m glad to hear you’re OK. Living in Southern California for most of my life I’ve definitely felt my share of some really nasty quakes. Weird thing is, I don’t get freaked out by them at all. I’ve always said my parents didn’t teach me to be afraid of them, I can remember them back to 1952 and don’t ever remember being scared.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
            I’m glad to hear you’re OK. Living in Southern California for most of my life I’ve definitely felt my share of some really nasty quakes. Weird thing is, I don’t get freaked out by them at all. I’ve always said my parents didn’t teach me to be afraid of them, I can remember them back to 1952 and don’t ever remember being scared.
            Did you ever wonder, "is this the big one?" I was afraid because it woke me out of a sound sleep and I did think I was either having a stroke or a seizure. Once I realised it was an earthquake I was less concerned. Since then I have wondered how we would cope if the local damage was as bad as the Christchurch, NZ quakes.

Comment

The 1971 quakes and the 1994 quake were pretty huge and it was so strange, we could hear them coming before the shaking started and they did a huge amount of damage all over the area. We had many aftershocks, big ones! Nothing like being in the restroom on the toilet when one hits! I worked in a huge basement area under a 10 story parking structure at the time. The building was constructed to withstand quakes and did very well. The was a huge lab and engineering area on the top floor of that structure and things were flying off desks, workbenches, test equipment etc. We had a visiting instructor from North Carolina working with us and this was her first quake experience. She kind of looked like a deer in the headlights every time we heard a rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
                She kind of looked like a deer in the headlights every time we heard a rattle.
                That would be me... trying to take it all in without actually looking at what was happening. Seeing videos on the news here, some people got under their desks and a lot left the building and stood in the streets. I must admit that I didn't get out of bed... *LOL* Tiff said that Immy slept through it.

You wouldn't have done anything during our quake. You'd be thinking, "you call that an earthquake?... I'd call it a gentle bump"... Some people thought it was a big truck driving past their house. A lot of people are reporting their damage today and it's mostly to old, historic buildings. Apparently the decorative work on the outside of Victorian (the era, not the State) buildings. They are just stuck onto the outside of buildings and are inclined to fall off pulling bricks down with them. There are calls now to check Victorian buildings and reinforce the decorative bits. Also those early buildings have 100+ year old mortar. Many old chimneys collapse. A New Zealander who went through the Christchurch quake said it's not earthquakes that kill people... it's the buildings when they fall down. It sounded feasible at the time I heard it but it's a bit like saying guns don't kill people, people do... or cars don't kill people, the drivers do.

Comment

that was funny... I had to approve my own post *LOL*

Comment

Working...
                  X