Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 6th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is overcast with a chance of rain with a high of 78 and the low of 62.

Cuban sandwiches along with the last of the cream of broccoli soup will be dinner.

What will you be having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Freezer blitz came to a grinding halt today. John went out to collect our medicines from the pharmacy and just happened to get lost on the way home. He ended up at our local butchers and a pork roast and crumbed lamb cutlets magically leapt onto his walker and asked to be taken home. That's his story and he's sticking to it. He only lasted 11 days into our freezer blitz! He said he was starving which, translated means he misses having sliced meat on his toast for breakfast. He is offered mashed banana or sliced tomato and sometimes I cook bacon for his breakfast but apparently that wasn't good enough. I'm not angry with him... just disappointed. He did bring me a small box of chocolates to earn some brownie points...

Anyone had a COVID vaccine recently and developed a metallic taste in your mouth? I looked it up online and it said that it's a rare side effect. The taste doesn't go away even when I eat strong peppermints.

Our dinner tonight was, of course, crumbed lamb cutlets with onion, mashed potato and peas for John... mashed potato and pea shoots for me.

https://i.imgur.com/1Hj2dVl.jpg
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Chayote - I won't touch lamb but you actually make it look appealing. I will pretend it is pork - lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
        Chayote - I won't touch lamb but you actually make it look appealing. I will pretend it is pork - lol.
        LOL Vera! I won’t eat lamb either! My mother never made it, she always said she was raised on the cattle side of Montana and she wasn’t going to eat sheep. I’ve tried lamb several times that was apparently prepared properly and when I was so hungry I could have eaten a cardboard box and I still don’t like it at all.

Comment

I had lamb chops once, a long time ago, and I didn't like it. But we have an Italian restaurants that makes appetizer meatballs using lamb meat , and they area delicious, served with a dipping sauce and Italian bread, so good. That is the only way I will eat lamb.

Comment

I grew up on a goat farm and we always had a few sheep, and we were dirt poor. I thank god every night that I never have to eat either one again as it has the distinct taste of poverty to me lol. Actually I can say I can eat goat if a Puerto Rican person cooks it or lamb if it is cooked on a spit by a Greek person, because both of those are ethnic cooking at its finest. I remember the would cover the lamb in lemons when they roasted it. We went to a Brazilian steak house where they bring the meat out on spits and hubs wanted to try lamb and I warned him he wouldn't like it. I have never every before saw him spit food out until then.

The odd thing is we did eat a lot of rabbit and I still love it to this day, but only farm raised not wild rabbits. When the kids were little I bought a few live rabbits to butcher and the kids were upset about it. I also had them actively help butcher chickens that we had raised, because I really think they should learn where food comes from. Only one of the kids stuck it through and helped me finish processing them all, but every single one of them loved the soup we made. We also ate a lot of turtle growing up. I tam so happy to never eat that garbage ever again.

That being said, I am having a plain old pizza tonight.

Comment

Chayote we are serious YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK. ROFLOL. We've been snickering all day bout John. You have such a way with words.
              only had lamb once at a sedar. Not a full meal. The little bit I had was ok. Joe adores turtle eh it's ok but don't love it so I let him have it all.
              anyway took sis for test took all afternoon so our blitz bit the dust today. If I'd had the energy I should have put something in the crock but I didn't so we had a junk food burger

Comment

It’s been cloudy and cool and we had a little rain early this morning. It kind of looks like we might get more in a bit. It’s so much nicer here in October than it was in CA! I finally finished up the laundry, our machines have really long cycles but it’s not a problem ‘cause I’m not on a time schedule. I did some other tidying as well, but mostly we’ve been relaxing today.

I’m going to make more of the cream cheese chicken enchiladas tonight. The filling is all prepped, I just need to lightly cook the tortillas and fill them up and bake them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                  g'day, Vera... cutlets are the pièce de résistance of lamb. They are just rib chops that are hammered out flat, crumbed and fried but each chop costs $4 each and they are not huge. I had the two smallest ones and gave John the biggest. The only part with any meat is the round section and it's perfectly polite to hold the cutlet by the rib bone and eat the meat off the bone. In fancy restaurants a little roll of paper cut to look like a chef's hat is put on the bone to protect your fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post

LOL Vera! I won’t eat lamb either! My mother never made it, she always said she was raised on the cattle side of Montana and she wasn’t going to eat sheep. I’ve tried lamb several times that was apparently prepared properly and when I was so hungry I could have eaten a cardboard box and I still don’t like it at all.
                    Charlene... funny you should mention cardboard because that's what lamb tastes like if it's overcooked. Lamb should be served rare, otherwise it will be dry and tasteless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      I had lamb chops once, a long time ago, and I didn't like it. But we have an Italian restaurants that makes appetizer meatballs using lamb meat , and they area delicious, served with a dipping sauce and Italian bread, so good. That is the only way I will eat lamb.
                      At the price of lamb, I wouldn't be using it in meatballs... *LOL* Lamb is very expensive these days. Last time I bought a small leg of lamb it cost around $40 and we had two meals off it. In England and Australia it's normally served with mint sauce or mint jelly.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                        I grew up on a goat farm and we always had a few sheep, and we were dirt poor. I thank god every night that I never have to eat either one again as it has the distinct taste of poverty to me lol. Actually I can say I can eat goat if a Puerto Rican person cooks it or lamb if it is cooked on a spit by a Greek person, because both of those are ethnic cooking at its finest. I remember the would cover the lamb in lemons when they roasted it. We went to a Brazilian steak house where they bring the meat out on spits and hubs wanted to try lamb and I warned him he wouldn't like it. I have never every before saw him spit food out until then.

The odd thing is we did eat a lot of rabbit and I still love it to this day, but only farm raised not wild rabbits. When the kids were little I bought a few live rabbits to butcher and the kids were upset about it. I also had them actively help butcher chickens that we had raised, because I really think they should learn where food comes from. Only one of the kids stuck it through and helped me finish processing them all, but every single one of them loved the soup we made. We also ate a lot of turtle growing up.
                        I went to a Brazilian restaurant once. They served the food on swords and just scraped however much you wanted onto your plate. They served lamb kidneys and chicken hearts and immediately I lost my appetite and just ate salad.

I haven't eaten goat but we have friends who raise goats and sell them for food. Our friends don't slaughter them... the goats are alive when they leave their farm. I'm not sure if I'd eat goat or not. I had venison when I visited friends in Michigan and I literally couldn't swallow the meat.

Never eaten turtle and not likely to. All turtles in Australia are protected. I've never seen turtle meat for sale anywhere.

We had rabbit for food a lot when we were children. My middle sister is the only one who enjoyed it. My Dad had chooks in the backyard and he traded two dozen eggs for two rabbits with a man at his work. Mum used to boil the rabbit and make a white sauce to cover. It still makes me baulk at the very thought of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
                          Chayote we are serious YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK. ROFLOL. We've been snickering all day bout John. You have such a way with words.
                          only had lamb once at a sedar. Not a full meal. The little bit I had was ok. Joe adores turtle eh it's ok but don't love it so I let him have it all.
                          anyway took sis for test took all afternoon so our blitz bit the dust today. If I'd had the energy I should have put something in the crock but I didn't so we had a junk food burger
                          You make me laugh, rosie... it would be a very dull book. John has a lot of stories that he has dragged out over the years. When our children were little they used to listen to his stories and mouth the words that they had heard so many times before. I wish I'd had a video camera back then because they were hilarious.

Looks like we both broke the blitz on the same day. We are back on for Thursday's dinner. As the pork roast has now spent 24 hours in the fridge, I'm going to include it in our blitz on protein that we already have but I've threatened that if any more meat jumps on this walker, I'll give it to Tiff for her dogs...

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

I went to a Brazilian restaurant once. They served the food on swords and just scraped however much you wanted onto your plate. They served lamb kidneys and chicken hearts and immediately I lost my appetite and just ate salad.

I haven't eaten goat but we have friends who raise goats and sell them for food. Our friends don't slaughter them... the goats are alive when they leave their farm. I'm not sure if I'd eat goat or not. I had venison when I visited friends in Michigan and I literally couldn't swallow the meat.

Never eaten turtle and not likely to. All turtles in Australia are protected. I've never seen turtle meat for sale anywhere.

We had rabbit for food a lot when we were children. My middle sister is the only one who enjoyed it. My Dad had chooks in the backyard and he traded two dozen eggs for two rabbits with a man at his work. Mum used to boil the rabbit and make a white sauce to cover. It still makes me baulk at the very thought of it.
                            My parents were animal hoarders so my dad was always lugging something home from the auction. He brought home a huge crate with snapping turtles, after one almost bit his finger off he decided we had to eat them. I always carry a shovel or broom in my car because its common to see turtles in the middle of the road. The problem comes in when people who do not know the difference between a snapper and a regular turtle try to get them off the road so we just keep something to scoop them out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                            X