muzette...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muzette...

I will be able to make the 15 bean soup! Vera surprised me with a care package today, including two packets of the beans. I'm looking forward to making it now... you made it sound like true comfort food...
    I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
    would become a National policy, but here we are...

That certainly was very nice and thoughtful of Vera.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
      That certainly was very nice and thoughtful of Vera.
      She's a very kind lady

Comment

Awesome, that was very kind. When I make it I soak the beans over night. Then I put them in the crock pot with 4-6 c chicken stock, 2 c V8 juice and some diced onions, carrot and celery. I cook them on high for 4 hours then turn to low for about 6 more hours or until it thickens its self up.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
          Awesome, that was very kind. When I make it I soak the beans over night. Then I put them in the crock pot with 4-6 c chicken stock, 2 c V8 juice and some diced onions, carrot and celery. I cook them on high for 4 hours then turn to low for about 6 more hours or until it thickens its self up.
          I have some thick chicken stock in the freezer. I made it by boiling the carcasses of three BBQ chickens. I have onions, carrots and celery in the fridge... just need to get some V8 juice in my next grocery order. I'll make a half batch first because it makes so much.

Just a question about soaking the beans... do I use hot or cold water? I'm assuming I toss out the water that I soak them in but it might be good for the garden.

I'm excited at making something American...

Comment

I soak them in cold water or room temp and add a pinch of baking soda, then I rinse them off in a colander before adding to the pot. I saw on a Cooks Country episode where they put the baking soda in the beans to help them not split open and it seems to work fine for me. V8 is my secret ingredient in everything, I use it in spaghetti, chili, all kinds of soups. You could add a kielbasa or a sausage to the pot of beans also, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I hope you like it. Beans are not the most exciting thing but I make them all the time because they are good for you. Cooks Illustrated has a great recipe for Cuban black beans and rice, but my hubs will not eat it. My daughter will come over and we will smash the whole pot.

Comment

Thanks for your assistance, muzette... much appreciated. Another question: do you regular V8 juice or the Low Sodium variety?

Comment

Working...
              X