spinoff of Lady Bug, Lady Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinoff of Lady Bug, Lady Bug

Where are the black birds/crows this year? We always have them at this time of year. They fly up into the pecan trees, flutter around, and help get the pecans out of the trees. Pecan season is just about over and no black birds in sight. Just a strange year this year. I dread winter. No tellign what kind of horrors we have coming.

Just put the blame on covid or climate change

Comment

I am not sure where you live but I know there is some unknown bird disease going around since spring. The health departments said not to have bird feeders out or baths where they would congregate. Birds were going blind and dying. I know when we were out for a drive one day we say like 3 birds just fall out of the sky and crash into our car. For some reason it was only affecting certain species. They know it was not parasites, toxins, bacterial diseases and viral infections. They think it has something to do with the cicada brood this year but didnt have any proof.

Comment

AllieK lives in South Texas and so far birds have not fallen out of the sky

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
          Where are the black birds/crows this year? We always have them at this time of year. They fly up into the pecan trees, flutter around, and help get the pecans out of the trees. Pecan season is just about over and no black birds in sight. Just a strange year this year. I dread winter. No tellign what kind of horrors we have coming.
          I know what you are talking about. I hate those black birds , they used to be all over town, but come to think of it, I don't remember them being around last year either ???
          Just hope we don't have another ice storm like we had last year, south Texas or even north Texas is not made for those storms We don't even have snow / ice removal trucks , we have to wait until the crap melts.

Comment

I had forgotten about the missing geese last year. We always have geese start flying in ahead of the first cold fronts and they are always out in the corn fields until it warms up again. There were none last year and so far, none this year.

Comment

Allie,

I saw a formation of about 25-30 geese fly overhead this morning. I love seeing them and hearing the honking sound they make. We get a lot of them here this time of year. Small formations and then big ones like this morning.

I am overrun with red squirrels, brown squirrels and small black ones because of all the black walnut trees. DGS had his wipers fixed at the tune of over $300 because of wires being chewed and I had over $700 last year because they kept making a nest in the engine and stuffing black walnuts in it. My neighbor has them getting in the basement somehow and is going nuts, pun intended, because of all the black walnuts in the nest in the basement. Live traps are now around the foundation. I love nature but it can sure stir life up with gusto!!!
              Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
              He drew a circle that shut me out.
              But love and I had the wit to win,
              We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Keeping your car in a enclosed garage keeps rodents out for sure, that is of course provided you have a garage. Everybody in my neighborhood has a garage , some even have a 3 car garage and still they park their cars outside. Don't ask me why. I assume they have too much " stuff" in their garage.

Comment

I wouldn't even consider a house without a garage and I actually keep the cars in there. You are correct that some people use their garage as a storage area instead of cars - not me. We have three attached to the house and then an auxiliary two car garage where we keep our sports car and tractors.

Comment

I have an attached garage that we don't use for cars because we have a propane hot water heater in there and don't want an explosion if the car has a short or something. We have another garage about 30 ft. from the house that we keep the PU, lawn mowers, boat, and other various things. We cannot put trash in either one, or the mice will take the trash and carry it up into motors and boat, so I have my trash on the front porch, in a fenced in area. It's not pretty, but at least the mice cannot do their damage.
                    I hate the snap mouse traps, so we got live-catch traps and carry the trapped mice away from the house to let go....I'm such a woose, I cannot stand to kill anything, even mice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                      I wouldn't even consider a house without a garage and I actually keep the cars in there. You are correct that some people use their garage as a storage area instead of cars - not me. We have three attached to the house and then an auxiliary two car garage where we keep our sports car and tractors.
                      I wouldn't either. We have an oversize 2 car garage, big enough for both our cars and room to store stuff. We also have the water heater in a closet in the garage and an extra refrigerator, mostly for all kinds of drinks like soda water , milk, beer and bread . So it is basically pretty empty until holiday time and then it is full

Comment

It often gets below zero where we live so a garage is a prime rodent habitat. They also get in crawl spaces and attics. You would not believe how common it is to have insurance claims for auto and home damage by squirrels, raccoons and chipmunks. Bat damage is not as common but happens and can destroy an attic and they can only be removed in certain months because a cauldron of bats can not be moved during breeding seasons. We actually had to pay to have a client move out of the home until the bats could be moved.

Here in the nothern tundra we also do not have water heaters in the garage, it would be against code.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          Keeping your car in a enclosed garage keeps rodents out for sure, that is of course provided you have a garage. Everybody in my neighborhood has a garage , some even have a 3 car garage and still they park their cars outside. Don't ask me why. I assume they have too much " stuff" in their garage.
                          Our car has never been in our garage because John used it as his workshop. Now he still has all his tools out there but is beyond carrying out work in there.

In our new house there will be nothing to actually store in there. There will be shelving on both sides of the double garage and we'll keep a few crate with his tools in them but we are not keeping anything that we possibly won't use. We are running the risk of tossing something that we may need in future but we'll just buy whatever we need.

We don't have squirrels in Australia and we don't have possums in our area. The only pests we have are mice. Gordon used to get rats in his compost heap but they never came into our house.
                          I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
                          would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

One of the “must have” items on our list when we bought this house was that it absolutely had to have a 3 car garage and we have that. We had the 2 Subarus when we moved up here and then bought the street rod. We sold the Subaru Impreza early in the Spring because it wasn’t being used. We had to park it in the driveway because Ken was using one side for the workshop. We really haven’t missed it. We do park in the garage all the time, it’s so nice to pull in, close the door and then unload the groceries, etc.

Almost every house in our tract has a 3 car garage and we are one of the very few that don’t park vehicles in the driveway. Some people might have one in the garage but there’s at least one and up to three parked outside. When I’ve seen garage doors open around us it’s easy to tell why they park outside, the garages are cram packed full.

Comment

We have new neighbors, haven't met them yet, so this is hearsay from other sources. 2 single ladies have bought the house and have moved in with their adult / teenage children, all 7 of them. So together with the two mothers ( who are supposed to be nurses ??) that makes 9 people who have cars and they are all parked outside , either in the driveway or some on the street. When the garage door is open you can see that it is stuffed with stuff or crap as I call it. Yes, it is a big house, with 4 /5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 dining areas, pool and outdoor kitchen. But all that is meaningless when their property looks like a parking lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X