Cookbooks coming out of my ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookbooks coming out of my ears

LOL In the town my grandmother used to live in was an estate sale yesterday. The lady that died was 104 years old and I'm sure she was close friends with my grandmother and probably played Bridge with her. My father used to help her around the house too. I was hoping she had some of my grandmothers recipes, so I went. I couldn't' slowly go through the books right there, so I went through and just looked at the titles and made sure there weren't any little hand-written recipes in any of them. I bought the ones from that town, the churches there, and the ones that had hand-written pages. I didn't' find any of my grandmothers recipes, but I got home with this lady's HS Home Ec. book. That must have been in the mid to late 1930's according to when she took Home Ec. in High School. I think I bought about 20 books. She had 2 there from her mother. I didn't' realize they were the same book because the outer cover on one of them was messed up, but I bought both of them anyway. There was an inscription in both books to her children. I'm not sure why they didn't take those books other than the fact they might not have known it was in there. I'll be busy going through cookbooks for months and either tearing out the recipes I want or scanning and printing them.
    Last edited by AllieK; 11-19-2021, 10:50 PM.

I have cookbook from the 1800's that even says how you should use a piece of lard the size of an egg. What egg----small one, medium, large or extra large? Back then an egg was an egg and size did not matter. Some of the items used are not available now. It even says how you should blacken your wood burning stove and how many aprons you should have. Some interesting reading in it and reading how hard life was then compared with now. Cooking a meal x 3 was an all day job. Wells were used for keeping items cold lowered in the bucket down where it just touched the water.

You have a goldmine there Allie. Enjoy.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

I have a 1906 edition of The White House Cookbook that looks like was never even cracked open. I also have the 1950s Boston School of Cooking Fanny Farmer book. I still have not worked my way through the boxes of index card hand written recipes yet. There look nice in my bookshelf though.

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
        I have cookbook from the 1800's that even says how you should use a piece of lard the size of an egg. What egg----small one, medium, large or extra large? Back then an egg was an egg and size did not matter. Some of the items used are not available now. It even says how you should blacken your wood burning stove and how many aprons you should have. Some interesting reading in it and reading how hard life was then compared with now. Cooking a meal x 3 was an all day job. Wells were used for keeping items cold lowered in the bucket down where it just touched the water.

You have a goldmine there Allie. Enjoy.
        In those oldest books, it has butter the size of an egg. I figure than might mean about a very heaping Tablespoon

Comment

Working...
        X