Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 4th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

Houston, we have a clear sky and sun!!!! What a wonderful sight. The high will be 38 and the low of 32.

Cuban sandwiches, salad and rice pudding will be dinner.

What are you having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I had an interesting day... other than having my dozen eggs smashed... I started to pack things in John's bedroom. Not his clothes obviously but stuff that is stored in the built-in wardrobe. There was a blue washing basket on the top shelf and although I knew it was there, I had long forgotten what was in it and why it was there. John helped me to get it down and it turned out to be a basket of ironing that I shoved there out of the way, possibly because we were having visitors... and there it stayed. I've spent the day ironing because it contained clothes that we should be wearing along with most of John's hankies and some pillowcases. I've never been able to iron whilst sitting down but I managed to do most of it with me sitting on my walker. Just another thing done towards decluttering my house ready for sale.

Dinner tonight: John had corned beef, mashed potato, carrot and peas; I had a bread roll with sliced corned beef, lettuce, pea shoots and cheese.

Dessert was a few Lindt chocolate balls.

Need to go shopping tomorrow... firstly to replaced the eggs, then to buy a cabbage as I'm craving coleslaw again.
    Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Knit group YAY. Love it. Arbys have the fish sandwich back. That's what I'm bring home for supper.

Comment

I am bringing a meal to one of my neighbors due to her house being all electric and with this winter storm and so many trees down, this is the second day without power. I have propane and can light my cooktop with a match since the ignitors don't work without power. She is grateful as it is her husband, her father-in-law that is visiting (90 years) and herself. I just happened to be at the grocery store on Sunday but there really weren't any weather alert warnings on what was to hit us Monday morning. Glad I have supplies. Neighbor across the street just left for Florida over the weekend for a couple of months. She sent us a picture of her and her husband standing on the water's edge - ouch. We sent her back a picture of her snow filled front yard! Hope power is restored by tomorrow. Our county is in a state of emergency. Rosie suggested perhaps the National Guard should be called out. Haven't listened to the news but that may happen. Also, we are close to Quantico Marine Base, and they may help too since their exit is one of the exits clogged with disabled cars.

Comment

Vera, I hope you get electric power restored soon. I remember our loss of power about one year ago and our house is all electric . We finally turned our gas fireplace on for short period of times , of course we couldn't cook, couldn't drive to get food because the roads were full of snow, remember this is south texas, no snow removal equipment. Nightmare.

Comment

We had a year where we were without power for 4 days and it was -11. I just pig piled all the kids in one room and we had the electric plug in heater that we hooked up the generator outside the window. Now a days I would just get in the car and go somewhere warm, forget that nonsense. Vera I hope your power gets back on soon, I saw on the weather channel what a mess it is there. Even though we live in an area where we prepare for such emergencies, they still suck.

I have a bag of frozen ravioli I want to use up so I will just bake them in the oven with sauce and cheese. Super easy.

Comment

I took a nice pork tenderloin out of the freezer Saturday night to make Sunday or Monday. Well, I didn't make it Sunday and Monday morning this massive snowstorm hit so no power to the ovens and I'm certainly not going outside to grill. I will see if we get power back on Wednesday but honestly, I think I will pitch it. I went to four grocery stores to find polenta to make with it too - oh well. Never made polenta before but had it at a restaurant and it was pretty good, so I wanted to try making it. The best laid plans......

Comment

I have seen rolls of polenta in my store, next to all the different pastas. You slice it up and fry it , not bad.

Comment

Vera don't pitch it!!! You can stick it back in the freezer. It is a bunch of crap you can't refreeze meat. Only thing might be affected is texture. Most of the meat ya buy at the grocery comes in frozen. It thaws then people buy it and throw it in the freezer. OR if it's boneless slice it alittle thick & pound it thinner. Bread with flour, egg wash and cracker crumbs and fry. Ya got breaded tenderloin sandwiches. OR chunk it up & make pork stew instead of beef stew. OR if ya have a way to grind it up make some sausage ya just need some salt, pepper, sage and alittle sugar. OR cook it in the crockpot and shred it. Bbq or not. OMGOSH so many things to do with it. I mean it's yours so if ya want to pitch it ....
                  Last edited by rosie; 01-04-2022, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Sabine - I didn't want the roll, I wanted the dry mix and finally found it because I need to add butter and corn to the mix. Now I'm not sure when I will make it. Power is still out for second full day and no end in sight for restoration. Wanted to make a pork tenderloin with the polenta but may have to pitch the tenderloin. It is in a vacuum bag but has now been thawed for several days. It is still in the fridge, and I will be able to tell when I open up the package.

Comment

I have been hanging out with the dog all day. I am heading into the kitchen to see if I can find something to fix to eat.

Comment

No, you are right Vera, you do not want the roll. It does not have flavor and is nothing like making your own. I have tasted the rolled and it is not good in my opinion. I grew up eating it made from scratch and still like it today. There are several different ways it can be made and eaten, and I like them all.

If you do toss the meat the polenta will keep, and you can get another piece of meat. Not want you want but so much better than being stuck in your car out in the storm.
                        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                        He drew a circle that shut me out.
                        But love and I had the wit to win,
                        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

The roll is ok if you slice it into disks, dip it in flour and fry it in bacon grease. At least my ex hubs thought it was good. Its one of those things I am not a fan of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                            I have seen rolls of polenta in my store, next to all the different pastas. You slice it up and fry it , not bad.
                            We really like those rolls for oven “fries”. Lots of flavor going on.

Comment

I use the polenta rolls when I make Three Cheese Polenta Pizza. They’re really good in that.

Yay! My WiFi is working again and so is my printer! Had a tech come out, we needed to upgrade our modem and it works beautifully now. It’s been cool today with some light sprinkles. I had to go pick up Abby’s insulin this afternoon and there was one big spot on the road into town that had ice on it, but it’s one we all know about and take extra care on it.

We ate our Italian salad from Papa Murphy’s last night with some shrimp and smoked trout added to it. Tonight we’re having the pizza we picked up to bake fresh. Yum!

Comment

Working...
                              X