Grocery Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Stores

I went to the grocery store this morning and I thought I was in a third world country. It is the largest chain in our area and there were plenty of bare shelves not only with produce but forget the meat counter. It is interesting when shelves get empty what products aren't touched that much. I noticed a lot of plant-based products just sitting there. I thought perhaps I would make chicken soup but there wasn't any chicken on the bone. Then I wanted a corned beef - nope. I was surprised that I was able to get milk. Off to a second grocery store where I was able to get the corned beef but not the chicken. How are your grocery stores stocked?
    Vera
    CopyKat Chatter
    Last edited by Vera; 01-09-2022, 03:22 PM.

Up here in Muskoka, Ontario, Canada our local grocery store shelves have been pretty bare as well. We live in Cottage Country and last year at Christmas time, all the ppl that own vacation properties up here came to stay and hunker down during lockdowns. I put that down to having empty store shelves. But, now I don't know what is going on?
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

I have been going to the store at 6 am right when it opens just because of my schedule right now. Its pretty bare, but also they don't have night stockers anymore I am thinking. I wanted chicken thighs to make stock but the only bone in chicken was a whole chicken, so I snagged one and made a pot of stock and use the meat for puppy training treats. The only things I really go for are chicken and produce and it has been so iffy, but again I have been chalking it up to the time I shop. I may venture out on Wednesday to Sams to see what they have, but I do not like their produce at all.

Comment

I guess I've been lucky. I can find almost everything I look for, but my store has basically stopped stocking the fat-free and low-fat items. I'm not sure if the major companies stopped making them due to COVID or they just dont' think they sell well and stopped stocking them.

Comment

I hear you Vera, I have experienced the same thing with bare shelves, I feel like we are back to early 2020, I thought that was all behind us.
          We have one large grocery chain here in town and they have run all the other stores out, we used to have Kroger, Albertson, I loved Albertsons, Piggly Wiggly etc. all gone . All we have now beside the big chain grocery store are the grocery department at Target and Walmart , and I don't like to shop there , especially their meat and produce departments, not good. And for those who are eligible we have the military commissary, not crazy about that one either, only shop there if I am on Base already for some other reason.
          I went to my store yesterday and like you Vera, I thought I was in a third world country. I even took some pictures to sent to my friends. Paper aisle was pretty bare, frozen food like potatoes was empty, none. Frozen TV dinner , none. Pizza was pretty empty ,so was the bread shelf. Pasta picked over. They finally had their milk back on the shelf. Didn't have any milk for most of the past week. And I am talking regular milk, of course plenty of almond and chocolate milk. I talked to 2 friends who live close by and they told me that their stores ( same company ) were stocked. Ok , so it comes down to what? , Poor management. How can my store have empty shelves and the store up the road, less then 5 miles away is fully stocked ?? Makes no sense to me and yes, I have written to the company office and asked for an explanation. Of course I know that my letter / email will go into the circular file ,also known as trash can.
          Night stockers ??? I don't think they exist anymore. At my store they stock whenever and obviously not at night. There is no point in going early in the morning anymore, shelves are bare.
          I will go to the store up the highway and see if they are stocked.
          I am so tired of everthing is being blamed on Covid, supply chain and lack of truck drivers, its getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
            I guess I've been lucky. I can find almost everything I look for, but my store has basically stopped stocking the fat-free and low-fat items. I'm not sure if the major companies stopped making them due to COVID or they just dont' think they sell well and stopped stocking them.
            AllieK, I am sure you know which grocery store I am talking about < good old HEB >, I am glad your store is stocked.

Comment

John and I were just talking about this topic. He likened the shortage of food to what his grandmother told him about the Depression. Every grocery order I submit, I get partially refunded for basic items. There's very little chicken and red meat. As Vera said, no shortage of plant-based goods. I'm sure there are some people who rely on these products but I'd need to be very hungry. Two of my children are vegetarian but neither of them will eat it.

We have the usual shortage of paper goods, meat, vegetables, breadmaking needs, etc. I phoned Woolworths and asked why there's a shortage. They said that half their delivery trucks (the huge ones delivering from the warehouses to individual stores) are off the road because almost 50% of their drivers are off work with COVID and the shortage of AdBlue. There was also panic buying so very soon customers will be limited to buying one pack of toilet paper, one pack of paper towels, two proteins (meat/fish/poultry) and two packs of frozen vegetables. I feel for people with large families to feed. The shortage of truck drivers means that a lot of milk straight from the cows is being washed down the drain. That, of course, causes a shortage of butter, cream and cheese.
              You know what sounds amazing for dinner?
              Anything I don't have to cook!

Comment

Haven't had much trouble yet. During the beginning of covid 2020. I bought paper products everytime I went to the store and have continued so we're good on that. I will continue. I've been working down the freezers but I haven't noticed any shortage in the stores. I stay pretty well stocked living in the middle of nowhere ya never know when you'll be snowed in.
                the thing I notice most with the things I buy is the price.
                rosie
                CopyKat Chatter
                Last edited by rosie; 01-09-2022, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I have several grocery stores around my area, our big grocery store chain has a store on just about every corner. I do the same thing, at least once a week I buy paper goods and stock up on canned goods. I remember well 2020 when I would go to the store at 6 am and stand in line and wait for the store to open and only 15 people were allowed in at a time, and everybody headed to the paper towels and toilet paper aisle first, followed by bread and meat. Never mind the produce, LOL Can rationing be far behind ??

Comment

We noticed when we went shopping last week that a lot of shelves were pretty bare. I haven’t had to buy much meat because I’m using what’s in the freezer but I did notice more empty spots. I need to make a Costco run soon, I’m hoping their meat section is reasonably full. I haven’t been there since before Thanksgiving. I’ve been in the habit for years of making sure the pantry and the freezers are well stocked.

Comment

A stocked freezer would have not been any help to us when we lost power for several days and all the stuff in the freezer defrosted and had to be thrown out. So much for planning ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        A stocked freezer would have not been any help to us when we lost power for several days and all the stuff in the freezer defrosted and had to be thrown out. So much for planning ahead.
                        Next time that happens, call your local food pantries, jails, etc. and see if they can come pick the stuff up before it goes bad. They will come pick it up sometimes, cook it and feed people who can use it. When Hurricane Harvey came in and we lost power for a week, I had very little in my freezer, except turkeys. I wish I had known about calling. I heard later I should have done that. The town was taking donations to feed the people who lost their electricity and couldn't cook themselves.

Comment

I have never heard of doing that.
                          not sure that would have worked for us because just about the whole town lost power on and off. The big freeze of feb 14, 2021 , who could forget

Comment

We were able to save our meat many yrs ago when the ice storm hit. We were out of power 10 days. We found a generator about 3 days in we ran the freezers and watched the news once a day. Heated with wood and having a propane range I could still cook. Kept the fridge stuff on the steps leading down to the basement. It was very cold there and protected from outside. Quite a hassle but didn't loose anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                              I have never heard of doing that.
                              not sure that would have worked for us because just about the whole town lost power on and off. The big freeze of feb 14, 2021 , who could forget
                              Places that have to have power, have generators. They cannot leave jails and hospitals without electricity. There is also outdoor propane stoves, barbecue pits, etc.
                              AllieK
                              Master Chef
                              Last edited by AllieK; 01-09-2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X