Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories

While I was posting on the dinner thread & spoke of oven toast I had a childhood memory. The feeling was as clear as that day over 50 yrs ago.
    My aunt lived on a dairy farm. (My mom's sister) she was a super amazing woman. I could go on forever but I will say. She was meek, gentle, so sweet. I loved her deeply. I loved staying there. She cooked on a wood stove. She would put bread slices on a sheet pan with little bits of cold homemade butter and put them in the oven. Oh how I loved those little pools of butter. I know doesn't sound like a big thing but I wouldn't take anything for the feeling in that warm kitchen back then.

Anything to share?

My grandmother had a pedestal mixer with a handle on the top that was hand turned as fast as possible. I must have been about Immy's age when I was staying with her and she offered for me to help her make a ginger sponge cake. We made the cake batter in a mixer much like the one I've included here and then the sponge cake was baked in the oven of her one-fire stove. The temperature control for the oven was as simple as opening the door for a while if it was too hot and putting more wood in the fire box if it wasn't hot enough. Grandma always seemed to know how to get it just right. I can still smell that cake cooking and how it tasted. I've never had it since that day.

I regret not asking if I could have Grandma's mixer when the house was being emptied. I would have loved to still have it now.

Thanks, rosie... Great topic.

https://www.antiquers.com/attachments/kan-wonda-mixer-with-oil-dropper-jpg.182623/
    Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

I've never seen a mixer like that ya know these memories aren't big and super exciting but its those small,precious things that will last all of our lives.

Comment

My Grandma. My Mom's Mom. Us four kids 'shared' Grandma with our 6 other cousins. Our two cousins did not live far from us, and it was an easy venture for Grandma to visit each of our families via public transportation. Our other four cousins lived a fair distance out in the country on a farm, so Grandma could not travel out there much do to travel. So, it was pretty much every other weekend that we shared Grandma for visits. It was a bit of a jaunt for Grandma to walk to our house once departing bus, she would come most times while our Mom was at work so Mom could not pick her up, but would take her to bus stop or subway station on her route home on Sunday's. Sorry, all that was probably not necessary, but I'm living it all over! lol So, here would come Grandma laden down with shopping bags galore, paper handled big bags filled with all her homemade foods. Most often and most fondly remembered was her chicken or turkey soup in large glass mason jars, and oodles of her pierogies. How she walked with all that, plus her little suitcase is beyond me! I always thought that Grandma was 'old', she depicted the perfect image of a Grandma, with the ever present apron, pockets filled with little items she picked up on her house clean-ups. I can still see the clothes pins pinned on the side of the apron, or the safety pins. Our Grandma passed away of lung cancer at the age of 65....she never smoked a day in her life.Cancer was so far advanced when she mentioned she was not well, she was having black-outs, and it happened once while at our house and Mom was there and it scared her so bad, she got Grandma to go to Dr. Grandma was admitted to hospital and we found out cancer had spread to her brain, hence the black outs. She didn't hang on very long. After a very hard working life, she did housecleaning and took in laundry, she was happily awaiting her first Old Age Security cheque....it appeared in her mail box a few days after she passed away.
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Actually Mudder it is all needed. Got to set the stage so we can see it our minds eye. I love that memory. I could get a bit misty. I miss your grandma !!

Comment

I remember my grandmas barley soup loaded with caraway seeds. She would save leftover gravy and when she had enough in the freezer the barley got cooked in the gravy. Oh and my Grandpa never ever swore or said a mean thing about anyone. He was a bomber in WWII and the plane went down. He got badly injured and told god if he lived he would never swear again. He held to that.

Comment

My Granddad use to give us Fisherman's Friend mints, which didn't taste anything like mint. I hated them but struggled through eating them for his sake...

https://fishermansfriend.com/media/pages/flavours/original-extra-strong/db49e71f85-1640267032/ff-originalwithsugar-en-au-280x200-q90.png
              Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Working...
              X