Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd question but I'd be interested to know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question but I'd be interested to know...

Early yesterday morning, the plum tree in our playground was stripped by person unknown. The fruit was just on the point of being ripe. In our town (don't know about others), this is a common annoyance. Tim's mother had her peach tree stripped this time last year or the year before. I've heard of others losing fruit, usually during the night. We've also had instances where tomatoes have been taken. One day the plants were loaded with fruit, the next there were none and no mess underneath so obviously not hungry birds.

Has anyone experienced this in your country or heard of it happening? Of course, it's theft but no-one reports it. Our gate should have been locked but that night it was only closed. Just a case of people wanting fresh, organically grown fruit and vegetables without putting in any effort or water.

I hope they eat too many and give themselves a bellyache!!
    Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

It happens here too Chayote. I can remember when I was growing up that we had peach and pomegranate trees that were loaded one day and stripped the next, never found out who did it. The area we lived in Southern California has a bad problem of people taking fruit off trees. One neighbor that lived across the street from us had all their landscaping plants stolen one night and our house had a heavy concrete miniature Japanese temple stolen off our front porch. I’m sure it happens in areas around where we are now, but there are fruit trees everywhere and a lot of times we see postings for “please come pick some fruit”. The Pacific Northwest has an abundance of wild blackberry bushes all over the place (they’re considered a nuisance plant in many areas of the PNW) and you can go out and pick them if you want to.

Comment

I'm glad that I picked about 3 kilos of fruit off it before it was stripped so at least I got to enjoy some of the plums. I bought that tree because it was the variety of plums that my Dad grew when we were children. Every time I had them, it took me back to when we were picking them with him. Same with the apricot tree. I'll plant fruit trees at the new house when it's finished.

Blackberries are a pest here, too. We are warned not to eat any because the government has a program of spraying them each year. In Tasmania they don't allow spraying so we often went out picking them.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

For someone to come in your backyard through your fence is unconscionable. That is trespassing. I guess it is true - if things aren't nailed down, it is a free for all for someone to steal - sad really. I know you are moving but I would put on of those motion sensitive lights on the house so when there is activity at night, they light up your backyard. Maybe attach a buzzer too to scare the heck out of them and alert you - lol. Maybe in the new house post a sign on the fence saying, "private property" or "can you run faster than the dog?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
          "can you run faster than the dog?"
          I love that, Vera... it could be a great deterrent to have that sign and have all the lights come on in the yard. Could even add a sound recording of a barking Rottweiler! Great idea

We will be having locks on all the gates for sure.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

3 kilograms is a bit more then 6 pounds.
            that's a lot. There could not have been much left on the tree ?

Comment

One more thing Chayote - You should have your builder prewire for outdoor security lights for your backyard while the house is being built. Then you can install if you have the need. So much easier than after because it can be difficult to run wires once the house is complete, therefore a more expensive project if not done while being built. Mention that to Julia.

Comment

Signs about private property , beware of dog etc. dont really mean much anymore these days. We are living in a world that is so different, people dont care and dont respect other people's properties.

Comment

My sister had a beautiful peach tree in her last place. It was loaded. We were all waiting for juicy peaches. Someone stripped it I had never heard of this happening. It was a very nice neighborhood. We have an orchard. The day after we bought it at auction we came back out just to walk around we were so excited. It was in late September. All the apple trees were stripped. We were so stunned. Guess it happens more than I ever knew. I think it's horrible. I hope they get a belly ache too or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    3 kilograms is a bit more then 6 pounds.
                    that's a lot. There could not have been much left on the tree ?
                    I estimate there was about 10-12 kilos left on the tree. When I picked the first lot, I only took the ripe plums. That tree has been a great bearer, however our apricot tree didn't have much fruit at all this year. It was loaded last year.

The fruit from my trees are always heavier than what we've seen at the shops because they are so full of juice, and that's because they get watered a lot.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

One more thing Chayote - You should have your builder prewire for outdoor security lights for your backyard while the house is being built. Then you can install if you have the need. So much easier than after because it can be difficult to run wires once the house is complete, therefore a more expensive project if not done while being built. Mention that to Julia.
                      The lighting is already part of the plan and will cover the whole back yard. We have one of those lights here but only for the front of the house. There's a cat that sets it off at 10pm every night and then again at 11pm when he walks back. John often jokes that he sets his watch by it...

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Sabine - I agree with your statement but if it is not posted then if you get police involved for trespassing, they can't do anything. Obviously, a fenced backyard is private property and shouldn't be breached unless given permission. If posted, then you have 'teeth'. Here is Virginia if you have "No Hunting" if you have lots of land and someone is caught hunting, then you have the right to prosecute. If not posted anywhere, then it is too bad. Your legal rights have to start somewhere. To have someone walk into Chayote's fenced backyard is pretty nervy. If something like that happened to the offender's yard, they would squeal like stuffed pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          We are living in a world that is so different, people dont care and dont respect other people's properties.
                          I can't agree with you more, Sabine. So many people have the attitude of seeing something they want and just feeling entitled to help themselves.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
                            My sister had a beautiful peach tree in her last place. It was loaded. We were all waiting for juicy peaches. Someone stripped it I had never heard of this happening. It was a very nice neighborhood. We have an orchard. The day after we bought it at auction we came back out just to walk around we were so excited. It was in late September. All the apple trees were stripped. We were so stunned. Guess it happens more than I ever knew. I think it's horrible. I hope they get a belly ache too or worse.
                            g'day, rosie... sad to know that this happens in other countries as well. Where we live now used to be a nice neighbourhood but not so much now. We will be relieved when we leave here. We've been in this house for 38 years, 36 of them were happy.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Sabine - I agree with your statement but if it is not posted then if you get police involved for trespassing, they can't do anything. Obviously, a fenced backyard is private property and shouldn't be breached unless given permission. If posted, then you have 'teeth'. Here is Virginia if you have "No Hunting" if you have lots of land and someone is caught hunting, then you have the right to prosecute. If not posted anywhere, then it is too bad. Your legal rights have to start somewhere. To have someone walk into Chayote's fenced backyard is pretty nervy. If something like that happened to the offender's yard, they would squeal like stuffed pigs.
                              Thanks for that info Vera, I was not aware that by posting a sign like that you are actually protecting yourself and your rights.

Comment

Working...
                              X