Baby chicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby chicks

I'm headed to get a few (6 or 8) chicks. Knowing me I'll come home with 12. NO don't need that many but their so cute. The cats have been hanging out around the coop so I'm a bit worried cats will kill them. It's suppose to rain next several days so cats won't be outside. Maybe that will help.

Love to see the baby chicks at this time of the year.
    Do you raise them for the eggs?

Comment

Yes. Have a hen sitting. We got 6 buff orpington. Wanted some australorp but there sold out. The hen seems quite content with her new babies we use to sell eggs but just got to be a hassle so now we just give them to friends _ family. I love having chickens and free range eggs

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
        Yes. Have a hen sitting. We got 6 buff orpington. Wanted some australorp but there sold out. The hen seems quite content with her new babies we use to sell eggs but just got to be a hassle so now we just give them to friends _ family. I love having chickens and free range eggs
        We always had chooks growing up and Dad would go to work and swap two dozen eggs for a pair of rabbits. I hated rabbit and I didn't eat eggs. When it came time to turn the chooks into dinner, I refused to eat them because I refused to eat something that I had fed...
        Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

The price of eggs has gone up in a short time. From .99 to 1.99 to 2.99

Comment

Oh I know. It's everything. At least what I use. I did notice couple weeks ago when I got chicken feed it was $10 more. Don't think we save $$ just very fresh eggs with orange yolks They are out eating what GOD intended them to eat. I think that changes the color of the yolk, definitely changes the taste.

Comment

Many years ago we set up a cage in what is now the playground and I desperately wanted chooks because we had them when I was growing up. John thought it would be a good idea to buy/rescue some from a local battery farm. They were horrible! I imagined them appreciating being out of their small cages but all they did was attack me every time I went in to feed them. From memory we only kept them for a year and then, as told to our children, "they went to live on a farm"... and we bought young pullets to replace them
              Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Working...
              X