Leftover ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftover ham

Ok I would like to hear what y'all are planning to use all that leftover Easter ham for.
    all I can come up with is
    Ham salad and we had that recently
    Ham loaf and we had that not to long ago
    not even in the mood for scalloped potatos & ham
    Think we'll have omlets.

What other mouth watering stuff are you cookin.

I went to my son-in-law’s Aunt and Uncles home for barbecue and assorted dishes. Very nice to see everyone.

Comment

Potato soup with ham, chicken cordon blue casserole, and Cuban sandwiches.

Comment

I rarely have leftover ham because I usually just buy around 300grams already sliced and it all gets eaten, mainly on toast for breakfast. But, if I *did* have ham to use up I'd probably just add it to slow-cooker meals such as our curried sausages or John's favourite Irish stew.
        Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

I've been looking around at recipes. Found a few I think I'd like to try. Ham & cheese lasagna. Ham fried rice, ham tetrazzini and a casserole with noodles, cream of mushroom soup, ham, celery and can't remember what else but sounded interesting. Thank goodness Joe eats whatever . But first ham & beans
          Last edited by rosie; 04-17-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

the lasagna sounds very good. I must add ham next time I make pumpkin lasagna. Thanks for the idea

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Sure thing. You mention pumpkin often. I love pumpkin but never use it. It's never been a regular thing around here. Only use it in the fall for bread. I buy several when they mark them down to feed to the chickens guess I should use some to feed us
              Do you use a certain kind? The ones I buy are meant for Jack-o-lanterns. Don't know if they'd be good for eating ??? Maybe need pie pumpkins?

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
                Sure thing. You mention pumpkin often. I love pumpkin but never use it. It's never been a regular thing around here. Only use it in the fall for bread. I buy several when they mark them down to feed to the chickens guess I should use some to feed us
                Do you use a certain kind? The ones I buy are meant for Jack-o-lanterns. Don't know if they'd be good for eating ??? Maybe need pie pumpkins?
                The pumpkins used for carving aren't suitable for eating. I guess you could eat them but they are mostly hollow on the inside. What we call pumpkins, you might call squash. To us pumpkin is a regular vegetable in most people's homes. It can be baked in the oven, steamed or boiled. I mostly cook it in the microwave with a splash of water on it. It is nice mashed with butter and black pepper added. We don't make pumpkin pies... they are very American. I've never had a dessert made with pumpkin in this country.

The best eating pumpkins are the butternut and Kent varieties. Kent pumpkins are sometimes called Jap but that name was changed to be politically correct.

https://www.perthorganics.com/assets/full/Butternut.jpg?20200711030916Butternut pumpkin

https://minchinburyfruitmarket.com.au/content/images/thumbs/0000742_jap-pumpkin_400.jpeg and Jap or Kent pumpkin

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Oohhh. Yea love butternut squash. Not sure bout the kent. Looks a bit like an acorn squash. Never met a squash I didn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
                    Oohhh. Yea love butternut squash. Not sure bout the kent. Looks a bit like an acorn squash. Never met a squash I didn't like.
                    If it gets enough water when it's growing, the Kent pumpkin will be sweet. Lack of watering makes them tasteless. I usually grow them but we arrived in Adelaide too late to plant the seeds. I love pumpkin soup and used to make it for the freezer once the pumpkins were ready to pick.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

I'm going to make a mac & cheese casserole with ham for dinner tomorrow nite.

I also make this, which is fantastic!https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/cheem...sserole/498384

A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Working...
                      X